Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Meepzorp's coin website  (Read 266443 times)

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: Coin website help
« Reply #300 on: November 07, 2015, 09:07:01 pm »
Hi folks,

I am doing my Greek Italy coins in alphabetical order, by region. If I were to continue doing them in order, my next batch would be Bruttium.

But there is a bit of a problem. As many of you know, Nick's AE MFB book is going to the publisher soon, literally within the next few weeks. I've known about this upcoming book for about 2 years now. That's why I've tried to get this project off the ground in a timely manner. But something always slowed me down (my BD issues, helping my relatives, correcting/updating my tags, etc.). This project actually began for me over 2 years ago, when I started addressing my BD issues. Completely by coincidence (I didn't plan it this way), I have now entered the photography phase of this project, literally just before Nick's book is about to got to the publisher.

Nick has expressed an interest in possibly using some of my coin photos in his upcoming AE MFB book. And I'd like the opportunity for some of my AE MFB coins to appear in Nick's book and become plate coins. There are no guarantees that he will use any of them, but I at least would like to have the chance.

Therefore, the next region I am probably going to do is Campania. I will probably be skipping Bruttium and Calabria for now. I will come back and do them at a later date, probably when I am done with my Campania coins.

Meepzorp

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #301 on: November 07, 2015, 09:39:32 pm »
"using some of my coin photos in his upcoming AE MFB book."
You or he will have to remove the background pattern. I suggest you search this Forum on how to achieve a plain white background directly....i.e., without the chore of Photoshopping them.
PeteB

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #302 on: November 07, 2015, 11:05:33 pm »
Much better but as was mentioned some are out of focus.

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #303 on: November 08, 2015, 07:15:08 am »
"using some of my coin photos in his upcoming AE MFB book."
You or he will have to remove the background pattern. I suggest you search this Forum on how to achieve a plain white background directly....i.e., without the chore of Photoshopping them.
PeteB

I can take care of that on photoshop.

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #304 on: November 08, 2015, 08:01:13 am »
I agree with the blurriness and the need for a plain background. If you're using a phone, there are cheap tripods available. A grey piece of paper or similar would be best as background. The smaller pictures of the tags are not so distracting anymore.
Andreas Reich

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #305 on: November 08, 2015, 08:06:32 am »
I agree with the blurriness and the need for a plain background. If you're using a phone, there are cheap tripods available. A grey piece of paper or similar would be best as background. The smaller pictures of the tags are not so distracting anymore.

+1.  Flat piece of gray paper and raise the coin off it a bit, but that's not crucial.  A flat back ground will help the camera to focus on the coin rather than the loops of the towel....

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #306 on: November 08, 2015, 08:16:13 am »
+1 gray paper and something other than a human hand holding the camera.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #307 on: November 08, 2015, 08:35:55 am »
+1 gray paper and something other than a human hand holding the camera.

Shouldn't that be +2  ;D

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #308 on: November 08, 2015, 08:19:57 pm »
A grey piece of paper or similar would be best as background.

Hi folks,

In my past posts, I've explained my reasons for using a towel as my background. I need to tilt the coin at specific angles (both X axis and Y axis) in order to take the best photos. And every coin has a different "perfect angle". So, the background must be adjustable.

I state this for 2 reasons:

1) If the coin is flat, the iPhone will be directly overhead. This will block out much of the light.

2) As many of you know, bronze coins, especially dark ones, are not easy to take photos of. I must be able to tilt the coin at different, variable angles in order to capture the best light reflectivity. I can't do that with a flat, inflexible surface for my background.

Whatever is under the coin must be something that is flexible and adjustable. A towel is a perfect candidate. I can't think of anything else that will fulfill that requirement better.

Besides, I actually like the background. I think it looks nice.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #309 on: November 08, 2015, 08:26:35 pm »

A flat back ground will help the camera to focus on the coin rather than the loops of the towel....

Hi Jay,

The camera is not focusing on the loops of the towel at all. If you look at my photos that are blurry (or partially blurry), the towel loops are blurry along with the coin. If the towel loops were clear and focused, and the coin was blurry, then that would be the case. But it isn't. This is especially evident in my photos that are only partially blurry. Where the coin is blurry, the towel loops are blurry. And, in the same photo, where the towel loops are clear, the coin is clear.

By the way, I don't fully understand how some of my photos are partially blurry and partially clear.

Meepzorp

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #311 on: November 08, 2015, 09:35:25 pm »
I think I'm done here.  I can't keep making the same suggestions for your benefit if you won't at least try it.  I'll state it one last time.

Try a gray piece of paper.  Raise the coin off the background by using something like clay, dumb dumb or other malleable substance.  I know Barry said not to use play dough but I've never had a problem in over 10 years.  This does several things.

It helps the camera focus on the coin
The gray back ground helps the camera "see" the right colors
The malleable substance serves two purposes. It gives it a platform and is able to tilt.

All major coin photographers always shoot the coin flat not tilted.   It gives a a realistic impression and doesn't give you trouble with depth of field.  The source of light can always be changed and if done correctly will not cast a shadow on the coin.  It should be filtered through a transparent piece of paper or plastic.  All of this has been stated before.

Not trying to be rude or insensitive but we're at page 13 here and many posts have been repeated over and over again.

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #312 on: November 08, 2015, 09:37:43 pm »
Meep,

I would not recommend  that tripod. What you want is a tripod or other mounting system that will hold the phone in position directly over the coin.  

In response to your comments on the background, your goal should be to change the lighting angle by adjusting the light source, not by shifting the coin. That's why I recommended a gooseneck or other adjustable light. If you have no choice but to light from directly overhead, then you might try a plain, flat background with your adjustable towel beneath the plain, flat background to change the angle. Another alternative is to use a small tissue ball beneath the coins to adjust their angle. There are always alternatives. But, if you're happy with the background, then don't let me sway you!

Offline traveler

• Consul
« Reply #313 on: November 08, 2015, 10:39:57 pm »
Quote from: Meepzorp on November 08, 2015, 09:15:33 pm
If you're using a phone, there are cheap tripods available.

Hi folks,

Is something like this good?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009GHYM0M/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B009GHYM0M&linkCode=as2&tag=i054e-20&linkId=AS

Meepzorp

That tripod doesn't look like it's adjustable. I don't think that's what you need for coin photography. Ideally you want a tripod that will allow the phone to "look" directly down on your coin. The focus issues could be because the phone is too close, or it could be because you're using the camera's zoom function. Try not to overuse that if possible.

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #314 on: November 08, 2015, 11:32:44 pm »
The focus issues could be because the phone is too close, or it could be because you're using the camera's zoom function.

Hi trav,

Neither one of these is true.

I am not using the camera's zoom function at all. I've never used it once. I don't even know how to use it.

The iPhone is not too close. I've had problems with that issue in the past (long before I started this phase of my project), but I corrected it a long time ago. After all this time, I know the proper distance the keep my iPhone.

My iPhone has an automatic focus. A yellow box appears over the object to be photographed. That's how I know it is ready to snap the photo.

Meepzorp

Offline traveler

• Consul
« Reply #315 on: November 08, 2015, 11:39:14 pm »
If the distance is correct, then it could be due to the coin not resting completely flat. If the coin is slightly tilted it may result in one part being in focus and the other blurred. Or it could be your hand was shaking.

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #316 on: November 08, 2015, 11:40:51 pm »
Ideally you want a tripod that will allow the phone to "look" directly down on your coin.

Hi trav,

I think this is the fourth time I am explaining this (to allude to what Jay wrote above).

I can't do that because it will block out the light from above, which is where most of my light is coming from. In addition to blocking out the majority of the light, it will probably cast a shadow over the coin too.

I hold my iPhone at a 30-45 degree angle to my kitchen table, which is the same angle the coin is at. Based on trial and error and experimentation, my photos come out best when I do that.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #317 on: November 08, 2015, 11:46:11 pm »
Quote from: Carausius on November 08, 2015, 09:37:43 pm
Meep,

I would not recommend  that tripod. What you want is a tripod or other mounting system that will hold the phone in position directly over the coin.  

In response to your comments on the background, your goal should be to change the lighting angle by adjusting the light source, not by shifting the coin. That's why I recommended a gooseneck or other adjustable light. If you have no choice but to light from directly overhead, then you might try a plain, flat background with your adjustable towel beneath the plain, flat background to change the angle. Another alternative is to use a small tissue ball beneath the coins to adjust their angle. There are always alternatives. But, if you're happy with the background, then don't let me sway you!

Hi Cara,

I can't adjust my primary light sources.

The 2 overhead light sources are probably my 2 main sources. And neither one is adjustable.

My goose neck desk lamp is adjustable, but that is the weakest of the 4 light sources.

I have no choice but to adjust the coin and not the light sources.

Yes, I am happy with the background.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #318 on: November 08, 2015, 11:50:31 pm »
If the distance is correct, then it could be due to the coin not resting completely flat. If the coin is slightly tilted it may result in one part being in focus and the other blurred. Or it could be your hand was shaking.

Hi trav,

We posted almost simultaneously (above).

This is an interesting theory. Yes, the coin is tilted. But the camera is tilted at the exact same angle. The coin surface and camera are parallel to each other.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #319 on: November 08, 2015, 11:59:27 pm »
Raise the coin off the background by using something like clay, dumb dumb or other malleable substance.  I know Barry said not to use play dough but I've never had a problem in over 10 years.

Hi Jay,

This sounds risky to me. I agree with Barry. When I first read that you were using these types of substances, I had reservations about it even before I read Barry's statements. And I think you have mostly AR coins (Marc Antony, etc.), right? Silver is more stable and inert. Bronze coins are more chemically reactive. I'd be afraid to have foreign substances touching my coins, especially bronze coins.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #320 on: November 09, 2015, 12:03:09 am »
It should be filtered through a transparent piece of paper or plastic.

Hi Jay,

How do you do that without it catching fire from the heat?

Meepzorp

Offline traveler

• Consul
« Reply #321 on: November 09, 2015, 12:51:40 am »
Hi Meepzorp,

I am aware of the problem of the camera or phone casting a deep shadow on the coin, if it's positioned directly above it. This is especially so at night.

I also tried taking coin photographs with the camera slightly tilted (maybe about 45 degrees) but the results aren't good. My photos were always slightly out of focus.

What I can suggest is to take photographs using daylight, such as near a window. Do not attempt to take the photo with sunlight shining directly on the coin though, that usually results in overexposure. The ambient natural light will make it possible to take photos even with the camera directly over the coin. If the picture taken using natural light is sharp, that will mean your previous blurry photos are due to the tilt of the coin or camera, or both.

The big downside to using natural light is that coins taken over different days will look different. This is due to factors like cloud cover etc.

Offline Mark Fox

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #322 on: November 09, 2015, 01:56:07 am »
Dear Meepzorp and Board,

A quick note before calling it a night here...  

Fluorescent lighting, at least of the kind I grew up with, does not offer steady light.  It actually turns on and off, but so quickly that most people don't notice, although some may develop headaches because of it.  See, for instance, under "Flicker problems" in the following Wikipedia article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorescent_lamp

There had been times when some of my coin photos taken under a fluorescent light were pitch black.  Some of your problem with blurry images may be connected, partially masked by your camera phone's automatic flash, if it has one and you use that option.  Sometimes the photos will turn out well and sometimes not.  That said, a small fluorescent lamp for growing plants has given me excellent results.  It is what I currently use, although I am anxious to experiment with LED bulbs, which are definitely the future of artificial lighting.    

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #323 on: November 09, 2015, 05:59:19 am »
Quote from: Meepzorp on November 08, 2015, 11:46:11 pm
Quote from: Carausius on November 08, 2015, 09:37:43 pm
Meep,

Hi Cara,

I can't adjust my primary light sources.

The 2 overhead light sources are probably my 2 main sources. And neither one is adjustable.

My goose neck desk lamp is adjustable, but that is the weakest of the 4 light sources.

I have no choice but to adjust the coin and not the light sources.

Yes, I am happy with the background.

Meepzorp

The amount of light falling on a subject is proportional to the inverse square of the distance between the light and the subject. Therefore a light at one foot from the subject will provide four times as much light as the same light at two feet away. If you place your gooseneck close to the coin it will provide much more light than your overhead lights and will be adjustable to boot.

Peter
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #324 on: November 09, 2015, 12:04:18 pm »
Hi folks,

I re-shot my blurry photos. This the fourth time I shot them. There were 6 photos that, in my opinion, warranted re-shooting because they were so bad (blurry). I saved the new photos on my flash drive. And then I uploaded them to Joe's server. In other words, I "swapped them out" (6 photos). You should be able to see the new photos now.

Let me know what you think.

By the way, there are 2 photos that may still look blurry to you. I am referring to the Caelia obverse (Athena) and the Teate reverse (owl, the Lindgren one, not the Gorny one). These are not blurry photos. These coins look "blurry" in hand. It's the way they were struck (worn dies?). This is especially true of the Teate reverse (Lindgren example). I must specify which one because I have 2 Teate coins with an owl reverse. As further evidence of this, just look at the towel loops in the background. They are clear, not blurry. When my photos were blurry, the towel loops were blurry too. So, these are clear photos of "blurry" coins. As I stated above, that's how they look in hand.

Meepzorp

All coins are guaranteed for eternity