Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Meepzorp's coin website  (Read 266390 times)

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: Coin website help
« Reply #225 on: November 02, 2015, 05:37:10 am »
Hi folks,

I thought of something else. How do I change the file names of my photos? I may want to do this for 2 reasons:

1) Once my photos are uploaded to Joe's server, I'll be deleting them from my hard drive, because I don't want to clutter it up. Then, I'll be taking more photos and downloading them to my hard drive. I don't know if my computer will assign those new photos the same numbers as the photos I deleted. I don't know how that works. If yes, that will be a problem. When I try to upload them to Joe's server, they will have the same file name (numbers) as the ones I uploaded previously. This will cause all sorts of problems. It may also create confusion in my flash drive.

2) I think it will be easier for me to keep track of my photos (especially after I've uploaded and deleted them) if I give them my own names, something I can recognize.

So, how do I do that?

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #226 on: November 02, 2015, 05:40:14 am »
MeepZorp:

You wrote:
"Hi Andrew,
You are mistaken here. My photos are already displayed horizontally."

Andrew is correct. I opened your pages in Internet Explorer 11, Google Chrome and iPad2 and they are all arranged vertically!.

You may be viewing your pages in an ancient browser version, that does NOT display the same as the newest versions. I learned this when working my web pages on Windows XP with Internet Explorer 8. They did NOT display the same in Internet Explorer 11, although not as radically different than your experience.

You may have to use "Tables" to force the display horizontally in two lines, regardless of browser version.....I think. I am no expert at this. Of course, "stitching" the obverse and reverse coin images and each tag image would accomplish the same thing.
PeteB

I wouldn't worry too much about this however. You could just live with the unpredictable layout, until you learn how to use tables (see as usual w3schools) which can get a bit complex.

Hi Andrew,

I know it can be complex. That's why I didn't want to get into that and open that whole can of worms. I want to keep my website as simple as possible.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #227 on: November 02, 2015, 05:49:19 am »
MeepZorp:

You wrote:
"Hi Andrew,

Andrew is correct. I opened your pages in Internet Explorer 11, Google Chrome and iPad2 and they are all arranged vertically!.

You may be viewing your pages in an ancient browser version, that does NOT display the same as the newest versions. I learned this when working my web pages on Windows XP with Internet Explorer 8. They did NOT display the same in Internet Explorer 11, although not as radically different than your experience.

You may have to use "Tables" to force the display horizontally in two lines, regardless of browser version.....I think. I am no expert at this. Of course, "stitching" the obverse and reverse coin images and each tag image would accomplish the same thing.
PeteB

Re the dark photos, I said one could do a 7-second edit in photofiltre. It took a little longer - 30 seconds - for the coin below (before Right, after Left). But in the same time I lightened the coin and improved its contrast, I also stitched the images. Once again to make the point that a little advance effort saves a lot of time later. With stitched images your html effort in saving and uploading images is reduced by 50%. For just seconds per coin. And you can also correct the image at the same time. Start doing this now rather than after 1000 coins which you would need to redo! http://photofiltre.en.softonic.com/download

Very nice coin by the way!

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for adjusting my photos.

To be perfectly honest with you, your touched up photos look WAY (!!!!!) too light and over-exposed on my laptop computer. In your photos, the coin also appears to have a white film on it. And nothing could be further from the truth. That coin actually has a very dark green (almost black) glossy patina. And I think that is reflected better in my photos. I think my photos look much better, and they also are a more true representation of what the coin actually looks like in hand. I can't speak for other members, but that is the situation for my computer. Your touched up photos look nothing like the coin in hand.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #228 on: November 02, 2015, 05:52:33 am »
MeepZorp:

You wrote:
"Hi Andrew,

PeteB

I also stitched the images. Once again to make the point that a little advance effort saves a lot of time later. With stitched images your html effort in saving and uploading images is reduced by 50%.

Hi Andrew,

I don't know how to stitch images. My niece and her boyfriend were in a hurry to leave that day, and they didn't teach me how to do it. However, in some ways, I think it is better to leave them as separate images. That method has its benefits.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #229 on: November 02, 2015, 05:56:06 am »
Meepzorp - You might want to put your pictures in a "Table". That way you pictures will stay in the same position for everyone. Also the page would look better if everything was in the centre, vertically. Using a Table would enable you to centre the pictures.

Hi Pete,

I really don't want to get into that whole "table" thing. I noticed it in your website's code. And I prefer to keep my code simple.

Would the "center" function work in this situation (for photos)? I used it for my red text.

Meepzorp

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #230 on: November 02, 2015, 06:00:08 am »
Quote from: Meepzorp on November 02, 2015, 05:52:33 am
MeepZorp:

You wrote:
"Hi Andrew,

PeteB

I also stitched the images. Once again to make the point that a little advance effort saves a lot of time later. With stitched images your html effort in saving and uploading images is reduced by 50%.

Hi Andrew,

I don't know how to stitch images. My niece and her boyfriend were in a hurry to leave that day, and they didn't teach me how to do it. However, in some ways, I think it is better to leave them as separate images. That method has its benefits.

Meepzorp

Meepzorp

Get Photofiltre and mess about with it for 5 minutes. You will then know how to correct images as you like them, and to stitch images too. It's really simple. It doesn't require training or experience. You just open the images, enlarge the canvas size of one image, and copy and paste the other image in. And save. Really seconds.

Your images look totally black to me. There's probably a compromise that would look better to you and better to me. I suspect the brightness of your monitor is set way too high.

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #231 on: November 02, 2015, 06:09:45 am »
Hi folks,

So, is everyone agreed then that I should eliminate that whole "one coin per page" thing? And I should have 10-ish coins per page? In other words, I should put all of my Arpi coins on one page, and so on?

I just want to make sure everyone is in agreement.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #232 on: November 02, 2015, 06:14:54 am »
Quote from: Meepzorp on November 02, 2015, 05:52:33 am
MeepZorp:

You wrote:
"Hi Andrew,

PeteB

Hi Andrew,

Meepzorp

Meepzorp

Get Photofiltre and mess about with it for 5 minutes. You will then know how to correct images as you like them, and to stitch images too. It's really simple. It doesn't require training or experience. You just open the images, enlarge the canvas size of one image, and copy and paste the other image in. And save. Really seconds.

Your images look totally black to me. There's probably a compromise that would look better to you and better to me. I suspect the brightness of your monitor is set way too high.

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for all of the advice and suggestions.

But, first, I am going to try Cara's suggestion. I'll try using that lamp when I take my photos. As Cara, Pete, and other have pointed out, it may eliminate the need to edit the photos. I may not need to brighten them after the fact if I start with enough light in the first place.

Meepzorp

Online PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #233 on: November 02, 2015, 06:24:38 am »
Quote from: Meepzorp on November 02, 2015, 05:37:10 am
Hi folks,

I thought of something else. How do I change the file names of my photos? I may want to do this for 2 reasons:

1) Once my photos are uploaded to Joe's server, I'll be deleting them from my hard drive, because I don't want to clutter it up. Then, I'll be taking more photos and downloading them to my hard drive. I don't know if my computer will assign those new photos the same numbers as the photos I deleted. I don't know how that works. If yes, that will be a problem. When I try to upload them to Joe's server, they will have the same file name (numbers) as the ones I uploaded previously. This will cause all sorts of problems. It may also create confusion in my flash drive.

2) I think it will be easier for me to keep track of my photos (especially after I've uploaded and deleted them) if I give them my own names, something I can recognize.

So, how do I do that?

Meepzorp

Meepzorp,

In your photo editing program select SAVEAS and re-name the file. That will leave the original file there, which you can erase.

Alternatively, open Windows Explorer, find the file that you want to change the name of and with the cursor over the file name, right-click and select 'Rename'. (It may be slightly different for your version of Windows, I can't remember, it may be done from the main menu)

Peter
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Online PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #234 on: November 02, 2015, 06:39:17 am »
Quote from: Meepzorp on November 02, 2015, 05:56:06 am
Meepzorp - You might want to put your pictures in a "Table". That way you pictures will stay in the same position for everyone. Also the page would look better if everything was in the centre, vertically. Using a Table would enable you to centre the pictures.

Hi Pete,

I really don't want to get into that whole "table" thing. I noticed it in your website's code. And I prefer to keep my code simple.

Would the "center" function work in this situation (for photos)? I used it for my red text.

Meepzorp

Meepzorp,

Yes, you can use "center" to center photos, but if have two side by side, it will probably mess things up. If you have your photos in a "Table" it would not be a problem. A Tables also allow you  set out your web-pages as you want them so that they display the same on everyone's browsers.

Peter
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #235 on: November 02, 2015, 07:12:32 am »
Quote from: Meepzorp on November 02, 2015, 05:37:10 am
Hi folks,

So, how do I do that?

Meepzorp

Right click on the file and select "Rename" which appears at the bottom of the option list.

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #236 on: November 02, 2015, 07:16:59 am »
Quote from: Meepzorp on November 02, 2015, 05:49:19 am
MeepZorp:

You wrote:
"Hi Andrew,

PeteB

Re the dark photos, I said one could do a 7-second edit in photofiltre. It took a little longer - 30 seconds - for the coin below (before Right, after Left). But in the same time I lightened the coin and improved its contrast, I also stitched the images. Once again to make the point that a little advance effort saves a lot of time later. With stitched images your html effort in saving and uploading images is reduced by 50%. For just seconds per coin. And you can also correct the image at the same time. Start doing this now rather than after 1000 coins which you would need to redo! http://photofiltre.en.softonic.com/download

Very nice coin by the way!

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for adjusting my photos.

To be perfectly honest with you, your touched up photos look WAY (!!!!!) too light and over-exposed on my laptop computer. In your photos, the coin also appears to have a white film on it. And nothing could be further from the truth. That coin actually has a very dark green (almost black) glossy patina. And I think that is reflected better in my photos. I think my photos look much better, and they also are a more true representation of what the coin actually looks like in hand. I can't speak for other members, but that is the situation for my computer. Your touched up photos look nothing like the coin in hand.

Meepzorp

They look much nicer on my screen, but perhaps they are not realistic representations of the coins.  Still, for some of the very dark coins I think the touch up is preferable.  Maybe your new lighting set up will help.  On that note, you may want to have the light run through a very thin white cloth, so it does not create a glare.  This is essentially what light boxes do.

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #237 on: November 02, 2015, 09:23:54 am »
Quote from: Meepzorp on November 02, 2015, 05:26:16 am
...to display the handwritten collectors notes (which might at time include symbols or diagrams) as well as the provenance on the same page.

Hi Andrew,

You must be psychic.

Some of my coins have monograms and other symbols on them. For many of those coins, I drew the monograms/symbols on my tags. And I will be taking photos of those tags and posting them along with the coin photos.

Meepzorp

This is fine in the "one page per coin" approach. However, I think the disadvantages of that view by far outweigh the advantages.
In the approach that some people suggested, i.e. listing all coins of a certain city on one page, it would clutter up the page with pictures that don't add information. Also, only a small fraction of dealer's tags will be particularly nice to look at. Adding "ex Kirk Davis" documents provenance just as well as adding a picture of his tags. It may still not be clear who the website is actually aimed at.

Andreas Reich

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #238 on: November 02, 2015, 11:06:01 am »
Hi folks,

I've got a major problem.

I deleted all of the Apulia photos in my flash drive and hard drive. That went well.

Using the new lighting set-up, I took more photos with my iPhone 4. They appeared much nicer (not as dark) on the iPhone screen than the previous ones.

I tried to download the new photos to my computer, and I had major problems. It was doing the same thing it did the other day (when my niece and her boyfriend were here), but worse. It won't download the photos. The computer is not even recognizing it as being connected when it is. It is not appearing as a connected device in the window for the hard drive when it is connected.

I kept getting a message on the iPhone asking if it should trust the computer. I kept clicking "trust". It did this about 20 times.

Two times, I got as message on the iPhone stating "this device may not be compatible with this accessory" (or similar).

I sat here for 1 1/2 hours trying to download the photos from the iPhone to the computer, but it won't work.

At this point, I don't know what to do.

It may be the cable, and it may not be.

I can't do any work on my website until I resolve this issue.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #239 on: November 02, 2015, 11:14:33 am »
...to display the handwritten collectors notes (which might at time include symbols or diagrams) as well as the provenance on the same page.

Hi Andrew,

You must be psychic.

Some of my coins have monograms and other symbols on them. For many of those coins, I drew the monograms/symbols on my tags. And I will be taking photos of those tags and posting them along with the coin photos.

Meepzorp

This is fine in the "one page per coin" approach. However, I think the disadvantages of that view by far outweigh the advantages.
In the approach that some people suggested, i.e. listing all coins of a certain city on one page, it would clutter up the page with pictures that don't add information.

Hi areich,

You are contradicting yourself here. Sometimes, I really don't understand you. Are you stating that adding photos of tags with drawings of monograms on them won't add anything of value to a coin posting? I think there are people out there who would like to see that.

In particular, I remember a specific incident a few months ago where Nick and Taras were very interested in a monogram that appeared in exergue on the reverse of an AE Campania MFB coin.

So, what are you saying? That I should do "one coin per page" or "10-ish coins per page"?

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #240 on: November 02, 2015, 11:18:26 am »

Hi Andrew,

You must be psychic.

Meepzorp

It may still not be clear who the website is actually aimed at.

Hi areich,

You totally lost me here. What are you saying?

Some dealer tags look nice. Some contain additional information that isn't on my hand-written tags. Some are in foreign languages.

Meepzorp

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #241 on: November 02, 2015, 11:24:02 am »
This thread is a train wreck and I can't look away!  :)

Try changing to a different USB jack and it should automatically install the driver. 

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #242 on: November 02, 2015, 01:43:44 pm »
Try changing to a different USB jack and it should automatically install the driver. 

Hi Jay,

I tried that. In fact, I tried all 4 USB jacks. I got the same result.

By the way, at one point, I got a message on my computer stating "driver successfully installed".

Even after getting that message, it still was showing on the computer as not being connected when it was connected.

I literally wasted 90 minutes trying to download my photos. And I couldn't download 1 photo.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #243 on: November 02, 2015, 01:45:51 pm »

Hi Jay,

Why do you feel that way? ??? :)

I feel that I've learned a lot. And I've accomplished a lot too.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #244 on: November 02, 2015, 01:51:36 pm »
Hi folks,

I ordered a new cable. It was cheap ($1.99 plus free expedited shipping). It should be here Wednesday.

I hope that resolves the problem.

If it doesn't, then I'll probably need a new computer.

Meepzorp

Offline Bill W4

• Caesar
« Reply #245 on: November 02, 2015, 02:56:35 pm »

I agree, it's like a bad soap opera
I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member!

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #246 on: November 02, 2015, 03:08:07 pm »
MeepZorp wrote:
"I tried to download the new photos to my computer, and I had major problems. It was doing the same thing it did the other day (when my niece and her boyfriend were here), but worse. It won't download the photos. The computer is not even recognizing it as being connected when it is. It is not appearing as a connected device in the window for the hard drive when it is connected."

have you downloaded and installed the latest version of iTunes?
http://www.apple.com/itunes/?cid=OAS-US-DOMAINS-itunes.com
PeteB

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #247 on: November 02, 2015, 03:46:50 pm »
Quote from: Meepzorp on November 02, 2015, 01:45:51 pm

Hi Jay,

Why do you feel that way? ??? :)

I feel that I've learned a lot. And I've accomplished a lot too.

Meepzorp

True. Whatever about the frustrations of this thread, this has been the most forensic examination of coin collecting in practice that I've ever read, and has been leading to the most forensic display of a coin collection imaginable, complete with all its paranumismatica.

Offline traveler

• Consul
« Reply #248 on: November 02, 2015, 11:36:50 pm »
Quote from: Meepzorp on November 02, 2015, 11:06:01 am
Hi folks,

I've got a major problem.

I deleted all of the Apulia photos in my flash drive and hard drive. That went well.

Using the new lighting set-up, I took more photos with my iPhone 4. They appeared much nicer (not as dark) on the iPhone screen than the previous ones.

I tried to download the new photos to my computer, and I had major problems. It was doing the same thing it did the other day (when my niece and her boyfriend were here), but worse. It won't download the photos. The computer is not even recognizing it as being connected when it is. It is not appearing as a connected device in the window for the hard drive when it is connected.

I kept getting a message on the iPhone asking if it should trust the computer. I kept clicking "trust". It did this about 20 times.

Two times, I got as message on the iPhone stating "this device may not be compatible with this accessory" (or similar).

I sat here for 1 1/2 hours trying to download the photos from the iPhone to the computer, but it won't work.

At this point, I don't know what to do.

It may be the cable, and it may not be.

I can't do any work on my website until I resolve this issue.

Meepzorp

Hi Meepzorp,

Glad to see the website is coming along well. Now as for the photos, do you happen to have a wifi network at home?  If you do, you can upload your photos from the iphone to a cloud service like Onedrive or Google drive and then download it to your PC.

If you don't have a wifi network you may need to wait for the new cable and hope.

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #249 on: November 03, 2015, 12:41:18 am »
Quote from: Meepzorp on November 02, 2015, 01:51:36 pm
Hi folks,

I ordered a new cable. It was cheap ($1.99 plus free expedited shipping). It should be here Wednesday.

I hope that resolves the problem.

If it doesn't, then I'll probably need a new computer.

Meepzorp

If the new cable doesn't work, I would opt for purchasing a new camera as opposed to a new PC.  Buy a decent camera ($150-$200 tops) with USB connectivity to your PC and I think most of your issues will go away.

The issue appears to be with the connection between the iphone and the PC, and NOT the computer itself. 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity