Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Meepzorp's coin website  (Read 266451 times)

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
Re: Coin website help
« Reply #175 on: October 31, 2015, 07:26:11 am »
Meepzorp,

That's looking good!

Why don't you just work under your niece's account? The computer won't know the difference and would save you a deal of confusion.

Peter
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #176 on: October 31, 2015, 08:49:45 am »
Quote from: Meepzorp on October 31, 2015, 06:12:00 am
Hi folks,

I added photos to my first web page. I think that page is done.

I made the photos 500 x 500. Is that okay?

Let me know what you think.

Meepzorp

It looks great.  I didn't think it would, but it does!

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #177 on: October 31, 2015, 08:58:32 am »
Hi folks,

Meepzorp

Hi Meepzorp,

Your coin picture looks very dark on my monitor. This is just an observation, I don't know of course how your coin appears on anyone else's equipment, but I do not have any problems with other peoples' uploads. Having said that, perhaps it is just because the coin you have chosen is a particularly dark colour which is difficult to photograph - I have several of those myself which I have never uploaded simply because I have not been able to successfully photograph them.  :)

Alex

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #178 on: October 31, 2015, 09:07:44 am »
Holding down the control button when you refresh should override the cache.

Maybe he changed it already but the coin is not too dark on my monitor.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #179 on: October 31, 2015, 09:49:50 am »
Hi folks,

Meepzorp

Yep. Size and link and logic and way you show flips all work perfectly.

Even though you're limited for the moment in camera quality (until you get a better one), you could easily enhance the photos you have using Photofiltre (free version) - the autoadjust settings in Photofiltre wil make everything much clearer.

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the advice. But I don't want to add any more complexity to all of this. The way it is right now, it is probably going to take me several months (or a year or more) to complete this project. I don't want to add any more steps. The photos are "good enough" for me.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #180 on: October 31, 2015, 09:51:13 am »
Meepzorp,

Why don't you just work under your niece's account? The computer won't know the difference and would save you a deal of confusion.

Peter

Hi Pete,

I can't access my website via Forum when I am under my niece.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #181 on: October 31, 2015, 09:54:06 am »
Hi folks,

Meepzorp

Hi Meepzorp,

Your coin picture looks very dark on my monitor. This is just an observation, I don't know of course how your coin appears on anyone else's equipment, but I do not have any problems with other peoples' uploads. Having said that, perhaps it is just because the coin you have chosen is a particularly dark colour which is difficult to photograph - I have several of those myself which I have never uploaded simply because I have not been able to successfully photograph them.  :)

Alex

Hi Alex,

When I took the photos with my iPhone 4, they looked very dark. In fact, I got scared because they were so dark. But, when I transferred them to my computer, they lightened up automatically (all by themselves). And I think they look fine. Maybe it is your monitor or equipment.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #182 on: October 31, 2015, 09:56:54 am »

Hi Joe,

No, I never changed it. What you see now are the photos I originally uploaded.

Thanks for the confirmation (that they aren't too dark on your monitor). It must be Alex's equipment.

Meepzorp

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #183 on: October 31, 2015, 09:59:05 am »
Quote from: Meepzorp on October 31, 2015, 09:56:54 am

Hi Joe,

No, I never changed it. What you see now are the photos I originally uploaded.

Thanks for the confirmation (that they aren't too dark on your monitor). It must be Alex's equipment.

Meepzorp

It's dark for me too, on both phone and monitor. Just try the Photofiltre PC app, see if it makes your photos better. Google it. You only need to open the pic, press the autoimprove buttons, and close it. You are better getting this checked now when you are right at the start of your project.

I should add that the auto correct buttons in photofiltre don't lighten the pics, but increase the contrast in lightness and in colour so there's more definition at the same overall light levels.

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #184 on: October 31, 2015, 09:59:30 am »

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the advice. I'll try that the next time I'm under my niece in Forum. Right now, I'm under me.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #185 on: October 31, 2015, 10:04:10 am »
Hi folks,

Why are my photos perfectly fine for some members but too dark for other members?

They looked perfectly fine to me, and Joe stated that they weren't too dark for him. But Alex and Andrew are seeing them as too dark.

What can explain this?

Meepzorp

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #186 on: October 31, 2015, 10:07:52 am »
Every computer, operating system, browser, monitor, and every minor variation of each of them displays differently. Every webmaster has to live with this.  You probably do want your photos to be a bit brighter than the one posted.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #187 on: October 31, 2015, 10:08:12 am »
Quote from: Meepzorp on October 31, 2015, 10:04:10 am
Hi folks,

Why are my photos perfectly fine for some members but too dark for other members?

They looked perfectly fine to me, and Joe stated that they weren't too dark for him. But Alex and Andrew are seeing them as too dark.

What can explain this?

Meepzorp

You are using a desktop monitor that's plugged into the wall and can make things bright as the sun. Most people most of the time nowadays are unplugged on phones or laptops. It's pretty rare these days for people to use desktop computers,

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #188 on: October 31, 2015, 10:14:32 am »
Hi folks,

What can explain this?

Meepzorp

You are using a desktop monitor that's plugged into the wall and can make things bright as the sun. Most people most of the time nowadays are unplugged on phones or laptops. It's pretty rare these days for people to use desktop computers,

Hi Andrew,

Correction:

My computer isn't a desktop. It's a Dell laptop computer, model Inspiron 1525.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #189 on: October 31, 2015, 10:30:10 am »

Hi Joe,

I am under my niece's account now. I just tried that. It didn't work.

I am still getting the test page that your webmaster uploaded.

For some reason, I can't see my website when I'm under my niece's account. When I'm under my account, I can see it.

This is very strange.

Meepzorp

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #190 on: October 31, 2015, 10:35:33 am »
Not strange.  Your computer has saved a copy of the page as it once was and displays it instead of the current page. It is a browser setting intended to speed up page loading. The old page is saved in your niece's cache. Change her cache size to zero and it will not save pages and will show the current page. Holding control and clicking refresh should refresh the cache.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #191 on: October 31, 2015, 11:19:52 am »
Change her cache size to zero and it will not save pages and will show the current page.

Hi Joe,

I don't know how to do that. How do I do it?

Meepzorp

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #192 on: October 31, 2015, 11:24:04 am »
Hi folks,

What can explain this?

Meepzorp

Your first uploaded coin looked fine but the next two do appear too dark.  I agree with Andrew.  It is a very simple fix that you should adjust for now at the initial stages.  I would lighten them in a program too, but that is just my opinion. The photos are clear, as in well focused, just too dark.

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #193 on: October 31, 2015, 11:39:26 am »
Meep,

I think your elegant website design looks and functions great!  I have just two complaints: (1) the darkness of the coin photos (as seen on my smartphone), and (2) the textured photo background, which I find a bit distracting (perhaps because I see more detail in the background than the actual coins due to the lighting).  Your photos look sharp - I think brightness/lighting is the main issue.  If for time management reasons you don't want to deal with post-production processing of the photos, then I recommend you buy a small but powerful, gooseneck photography light, which will allow you to direct strong light at the coins at angles that will maximize contrast and visibility. I think that will greatly improve the photos at a cost of maybe $40. On the other hand, the post production program tbat Andrew recommeded  is free!

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #194 on: October 31, 2015, 11:48:55 am »
I timed how long it took me to open a picture in Photofiltre, auto-correct both brightness-contrast and colour-contrast, save the photo, and close Photofiltre. Slightly over 7 seconds, clearly less than 8 seconds. Just to kill the idea that photo-processing is going to add much time to the project. You could adjust all 4000 photos (obverses and reverses) in one 8 hour day at that rate. I suspect we'll spend more time discussing whether to post-process than just doing it.

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #195 on: October 31, 2015, 12:12:50 pm »
More feedback: The photos are very dark also on my Dell PC with windows 7 and on my iPad2.
PeteB

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #196 on: October 31, 2015, 01:51:17 pm »
Meepzorp,

Yes, pictures are very dark on my desk-top and tablet. I often find that pictures that look fine on my computer don’t always look the same on the web-page. I’m not sure why.

Yes, there are many programs that can adjust and correct pictures, but you can’t beat making them right in the first place.

Dark coins are always difficult to photograph. Try using a mid-grey plain background. Also, to avoid the shadow of the coin merging with the coin itself, try placing the coin on a small object to lift it above the background. Try using a supplementary light as described above. There is plenty of advice on Forum.

You have correctly written the code to give a 500x500 pixel display. The pictures themselves can be any size and the web-page will make them fit the 500x500 box. However, if the height and width of the picture itself are different (you have one 460x420 for example) then the image will be stretched unequally on the web-page and you will end up with oval looking coins. Just make the picture height and width the same, say in this case 420x420.

Peter
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #197 on: October 31, 2015, 08:38:09 pm »
How to set the cache size to zero depends on what browser you are using.  I don't even remember how to change them, but the settings on our browser undoubtedly have a menu. Explore the browser settings menu and you will figure it out. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #198 on: October 31, 2015, 08:39:44 pm »
They are dark for me too and I also find the background distracting.  A simple solid color or white background would be best.  The bigger this gets the more tedious it is going to be to find a coin, especially if you don't know the reference.

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #199 on: November 01, 2015, 03:49:14 am »
This kind of navigation is fine if you're looking for something in particular but maybe you should have a button "display all coins in this category" (or similar). It's a bit tedious clicking through all the categories. Some auctions do this and I usually don't bother.

For me and I think most casual visitors, the links like "SNG ANS 639" are not particularly useful. If you say you have a whole lot of coins, this may be a very time-consuming way of displaying them, both for you and for visitors.
Maybe you could just have a page on coins from Arpi? The pictures of the tags with the description could be smaller and frankly, the additional pictures of the tags:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/gi_apulia_arpi_1.htm

are a waste of space and bandwidth.
Andreas Reich

All coins are guaranteed for eternity