Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Meepzorp's coin website  (Read 266479 times)

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
Re: Coin website help
« Reply #125 on: October 29, 2015, 04:24:20 am »
Quote from: Meepzorp on October 29, 2015, 03:17:02 am
Computers do slow down with age due to all sorts of things; start-up programs, unwanted background programs, hard disk fragmention, memory (RAM) problems, etc. The solution would be to re-format the hard disk and reload Windows. However, I have to own up that I have never done that myself!

Hi Pete,

You are right. It is becoming a problem. My computer is 8 years old, and it has significantly slowed down in the past 6 months. And it keeps freezing too.

I can't re-load Windows because I don't have the disk.

Meepzorp

Windows Vista is space hog that gets worse with age. One problem is it accumulates temporary files forever. Here is the Microsoft recommendation to reduce these:

Cleanup 1
Remove all temporary files from your computer. To do this, follow these steps:
1.       Click on start search box.
2.       Type %temp% and press Enter.
3.       Delete all the files in the temp folder.
Note: Leave the files which refuse to delete.

Cleanup 2
Delete any temporary files that may be left over from CD and DVD burning. Go to C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Burn\Temporary Burn Folder
And delete the files.

Cleanup 3
Run Disk Cleanup from the location (Start) > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools.

Cleanup 4
If you don't use Hibernation you can save space in hard drive space as the amount of RAM that is installed by turning it off. In a Run window, type powercfg.exe -h off (note the two spaces) and press Enter.

Cleanup 5
A fix not mentioned by Microsoft is to go to the control panel, programs, and Uninstall programs that don't look like Microsoft or system programs, and which you don't knowingly use. Be careful - you can test if its safe to remove a program on http://www.shouldiremoveit.com/. If you do uninstalls, it may leave temp files so consider doing it before 1 and 3 above.

If these don't help, the problem may lie with very large dll files from previous versions of software. Users report these potentially taking 20 gigabytes or more (Vista taking 35 gig rather than 15 gig) and it may be much worse with your older machine. The only way to deal with this is to reinstall windows, which you can't do as you don't have the disks. But you can buy, on eBay, Vista original disks with product key for less than $50. And if you have the windows product key - it may be on a sticker on the machine - you can buy a repair and reinstall disk for less than $10. Or you can upgrade to Windows 10 for $119. Your PC probably has enough capacity to run 10 - it actually requires less than Windows 7. Be aware that bug and security support for Vista stops in 2017 so I think you are going to need a new operating system or PC eventually.

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #126 on: October 29, 2015, 04:49:39 am »
Hi folks,

I downloaded htmlkit (the free one).

Do I need the "tool" version (the one you must pay for) in order to see my website before uploading it?

Meepzorp

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #127 on: October 29, 2015, 04:54:48 am »
Quote from: Meepzorp on October 29, 2015, 04:49:39 am
Hi folks,

I downloaded htmlkit (the free one).

Do I need the "tool" version (the one you must pay for) in order to see my website before uploading it?

Meepzorp

No. The free version has all you need. When you open a file containing html code there's two tabs. In one tab you edit. Switch to the other tab to see the results. Go back to the first tab to edit and correct errors. The paid-for version is just a later release with more bells and whistles. Free is fine.

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #128 on: October 29, 2015, 04:57:53 am »
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for all of that information about Windows Vista. I never knew that.

Something is eating up an awful lot of my hard drive space, but I don't know what. I should have substantially more free GB, but I don't. There is really nothing on my hard drive. I should have about 10 times that amount of free GB.

There are no films or videos at all on it. And the photos are only taking up about 1.5 GB.

My sister may still have the Windows installation disk. But, knowing her, she probably doesn't know where it is. Hypothetically speaking, let's say she finds it. Re-installing it may solve many of these problems? Will it wipe out all files, including ones I'd like to keep?

Meepzorp

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #129 on: October 29, 2015, 05:05:32 am »
Quote from: Meepzorp on October 29, 2015, 04:57:53 am
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for all of that information about Windows Vista. I never knew that.

Something is eating up an awful lot of my hard drive space, but I don't know what. I should have substantially more free GB, but I don't. There is really nothing on my hard drive. I should have about 10 times that amount of free GB.

There are no films or videos at all on it. And the photos are only taking up about 1.5 GB.

My sister may still have the Windows installation disk. But, knowing her, she probably doesn't know where it is. Hypothetically speaking, let's say she finds it. Re-installing it may solve many of these problems? Will it wipe out all files, including ones I'd like to keep?

Meepzorp

It will probably wipe your file (there may be an option to keep files during reinstall but I wouldn't rely on it and it may be better NOT to choose "keep files" given you are trying to eliminate unnecessary files). But you can save your files in a USB drive before reinstalling. And it should dramatically improve performance. One warning however - when you reinstall from the original disk, the PC is then going to have to download and install a decade worth of security upgrades. That's going to take a long time. It might take a solid week work. I'd probably try the recommended easy cleanup steps first though.

I'm not recommending you do this reinstallation. I'm just providing information about what Microsoft says are fixes to your problems. My recommendation is buy a brand new PC. Or even a Chromebook (better performance at lower cost) if you've an excellent internet connection. Otherwise a PC as you can store data locally and make use of more freebie programs.

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #130 on: October 29, 2015, 06:57:33 am »
Quote from: Meepzorp on October 29, 2015, 02:51:03 am
Hi folks,

In the past 10 days or so, I studied the code for one of Pete's pages. That was the page I had decided to use for my website template. I knew exactly what to delete and where to delete it. Prior to that, I had studied html, using the link Andrew provided.

When I saved the code to my hard drive and opened it in Notepad, I got thrown a massive curve. There was about 10 times the amount of code. There were thousands of extra symbols in the code (span, etc.) that weren't in the code on Pete's page (from "view source'). The amount of code literally exploded by about ten-fold. That threw me for a loop. It took me about 30 minutes just to delete the code for the dropdown menu.

Something that should have been easy turned into a major project.

Meepzorp

I really don't know where that extra code could have come from. Are you sure you actually saved the edited page? Did you re-open the same file? Easy mistakes to make.
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historia
« Reply #131 on: October 29, 2015, 07:11:59 am »
Quote from: Meepzorp on October 29, 2015, 03:12:13 am

I am sorry to say Meepzorp but I think that your computer is severely underpowered, especially for what you are trying to use it for. I don't think that it has the capacity to even store all your photographs. From what I can see you only have a maximum of around 33 GB of free space and that I'm afraid is nothing at all these days.

Regards

Alex
So he should easily be able to create a large number of web-pages on his hard disk and after they are up-loaded, move them to his flash drive as well.

Hi Pete,

Thanks for suggesting that. I didn't know I could do that. Maybe I'll do it.

Can I store them on the same flash drive the photos will be on? I think it is a 32GB flash drive.

But I don't know if I was going to keep all of the website pages anyway. As you and others pointed out, you really only need one page (or a few) that you keep customizing. Once I upload it, I can change it for my next page, right? It doesn't have to be on my hard drive once it is on Joe's server, right?

I really only need 1 or 2 or 3 website pages on my hard drive at any one given time, right?

Meepzorp

You can use the flash drive just as you use the hard disk. It can store any type of file. Open Windows Explorer - you should see the hard drives C and D. The flash drive as probably E.

My memories of Windows XP and Vista are a bit hazy, but I think you should be able to create and edit files directly on the flash drive.

Peter
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #132 on: October 29, 2015, 07:15:15 am »
Quote from: Meepzorp on October 29, 2015, 02:51:03 am
Hi folks,

In the past 10 days or so, I studied the code for one of Pete's pages. That was the page I had decided to use for my website template. I knew exactly what to delete and where to delete it. Prior to that, I had studied html, using the link Andrew provided.

When I saved the code to my hard drive and opened it in Notepad, I got thrown a massive curve. There was about 10 times the amount of code. There were thousands of extra symbols in the code (span, etc.) that weren't in the code on Pete's page (from "view source'). The amount of code literally exploded by about ten-fold. That threw me for a loop. It took me about 30 minutes just to delete the code for the dropdown menu.

Something that should have been easy turned into a major project.

Meepzorp

I really don't know where that extra code could have come from. Are you sure you actually saved the edited page? Did you re-open the same file? Easy mistakes to make.

Hi Pete,

Yes, I opened the correct file.

Meepzorp

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historia
« Reply #133 on: October 29, 2015, 07:24:32 am »

Hi Pete,

You are right. It is becoming a problem. My computer is 8 years old, and it has significantly slowed down in the past 6 months. And it keeps freezing too.

Meepzorp

I think the 'installation disk' is probably the D drive and could be used as such. I'm not going to recomend you do so. Your best bet would be to get hold of a Windows XP (not Vista) and completely re-install as Andrew suggested. That way you would get rid of many of the problems that have been flagged up.
Peter, London

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #134 on: October 29, 2015, 07:28:35 am »
Hi Andrew,

I did steps #1 and #2 in cleanup #1.

There are several temp files on my hard drive. They are all empty except for one. That one is 320 K.

There are also 2 files labeled "BCD-templates" (or similar). They appear to be Microsoft files. I won't touch those.

There are a few files under those that also appear to be Microsoft files. I won't touch those either.

I didn't delete any temp files.

Meepzorp

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historia
« Reply #135 on: October 29, 2015, 07:55:48 am »
Quote from: Meepzorp on October 29, 2015, 03:24:49 am

But I am not saving "raw" images in the flash drive. They are cropped. My flash drive will contain the exact same images that I'll be uploading to Joe's server. In fact, my first batch is done already. They are all cropped and transferred.

I think my flash drive is 32 GB. Is that enough to store approximately 10,000 cropped photos?

Meepzorp

That's good thinking. Cropped images will be much, much smaller than the raw images.

I want to point you to the IMG tag which displays your pictures. For example: < IMG src="e0110.jpg" width="500" height="250" > In this instance the image will be diplayed at a size of 500 x 250 pixels, regardless of the actual size of the picture. You can have any size you want but once you have decided on a standard size, you should re-size your cropped pictures to match that size. The reason is that pictures that are larger than needed will slow down your web-site and of course take up much more room on your flash drive (although you might want to keep copies of un-re-sized pictures).

I thought I should say that before you got to your 10,000th web-page!

Peter
Peter, London

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #136 on: October 29, 2015, 09:29:36 am »

Hi Pete,

Meepzorp

I think the 'installation disk' is probably the D drive and could be used as such. I'm not going to recomend you do so. Your best bet would be to get hold of a Windows XP (not Vista) and completely re-install as Andrew suggested. That way you would get rid of many of the problems that have been flagged up.

I'm supportive. Vista is possibly the crappiest OS ever, and your current experiences prove it. In the last 40 years the only truly great MS operating systems were MS-DOS6, Windows 3.1, Windows XP, and probably (based on feedback to date). Windows 10. Either of the latter two would suit: If you get XP it should be cheap and you'll need good virus/firewall protection from a different source.

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #137 on: October 29, 2015, 09:49:30 am »
Hi folks,

Using htmlkit, I created (from scratch, but using Pete's code as a template) a test home page for my website. It came out nice. And it was very easy, and fast too. I saved it to my hard drive.

Using Filezilla, I kept trying to upload it to Joe's server, but it wouldn't work. Using "Qiukconnect", I connected to Joe's server with no problem.

My computer stored my test home page in my "recent" folder on my hard drive. But, for some reason, when I was in Filezilla, it wasn't there. It wasn't listing it as a file. Every time I clicked on my "recent" folder, I would get dis-connected form Joe's server. And I'd get a message stating "connection aborted".

On the bottom half of the Filezilla screen, left side (my local computer), there are no files listed in my "recent" folder. It is an empty folder. But my hard drive's "recent" folder contains numerous files. Files that are on my hard drive are not being listed in Filezilla. According to Filezilla, these files don't exist. But they do exist.

Does anyone know what the problem is? Why is Filezilla indicating to me that files don't exist when they do exist?

And why do I keep getting dis-connected from Joe's server every time I click on my "recent" folder?

Meepzorp

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historia
« Reply #138 on: October 29, 2015, 10:08:00 am »
Good you are making progress.

"Recent" is not an actual folder - it is just pointing you to the real folders that contain your most recent work. It's best to create a new folder (if you haven't already done so) and save everything there. For existing files do a 'saveas' and select the new folder.
Peter, London

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #139 on: October 30, 2015, 12:04:51 pm »
Hi folks,

I have another question.

I am going to be uploading approximately 2,000 web pages to Joe's server. Obviously, when a visitor visits my website, I want him to see the home page first. How does Joe's server know which page is my home page? In other words, out of the 2,000 web pages I'll be uploading, how will Joe's server know to display that page first and not one of the other 1,999 web pages?

Or am I  mis-understanding something here?

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #140 on: October 30, 2015, 12:18:07 pm »
"Recent" is not an actual folder - it is just pointing you to the real folders that contain your most recent work. It's best to create a new folder (if you haven't already done so) and save everything there. For existing files do a 'save as' and select the new folder.

Hi Pete,

I assume that you mean to create a new folder in my hard drive. When I save the file from htmlkit, how do I get it into that new folder I just created? When I saved my test home page, htmlkit simply placed it in my "recent" folder. I didn't direct it to do so.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #141 on: October 30, 2015, 12:38:33 pm »
Hi folks,

I just noticed something.

The code I created in Notepad (which I deconstructed from Pete's code) went to both my "recent" folder and my "downloads" folder on my hard drive. But the code I created using htmlkit (which I constructed from scratch) only went to my "recent" folder on my hard drive, and not to my "downloads" folder. Why is that?

How do I get my htmlkit saved files to go into my "downloads" folder?

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #142 on: October 30, 2015, 01:03:56 pm »
Hi folks,

I think I figured out how to move files in my hard drive.

First, I created a new folder in my hard drive, as Pete advised. I searched the file, which took me to the "recent" folder. I clicked on the file, and it appeared in the area below. I then clicked on "organize" and "copy". I went to the folder I just created and clicked on "paste". I think it worked.

Now that the file is in my folder, I'll try Filezilla again to see if I can upload the test home page to Joe's server.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #143 on: October 30, 2015, 01:32:07 pm »
Hi folks,

I tried to upload it again. I don't know if it worked.

Several things happened. I successfully connected to Joe's server. But, in the top area of Filezilla, I got a message stating "Insecure server, it does not support FTP over TLS". However, the connection stayed intact.

I dragged the file (my test home page) from bottom left to bottom right. It appeared in bottom right.

In the area below, it states "successful transfers (1)". I assume this means that my file (my test home page) was successfully transferred to Joe's server.

However, 2 strange things happened:

First, I got dis-connected from Joe's server again. And I got that "connection aborted" message again.

Second, I clicked on my website link in my Forum profile. And my test home page isn't there. Nothing changed.

I don't understand this because the transfer was successful.

What happened?

Meepzorp

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historia
« Reply #144 on: October 30, 2015, 01:34:51 pm »
Quote from: Meepzorp on October 30, 2015, 12:04:51 pm
Hi folks,

I have another question.

I am going to be uploading approximately 2,000 web pages to Joe's server. Obviously, when a visitor visits my website, I want him to see the home page first. How does Joe's server know which page is my home page? In other words, out of the 2,000 web pages I'll be uploading, how will Joe's server know to display that page first and not one of the other 1,999 web pages?

Meepzorp

Your home page file should be called index.htm
Alternatively you can give it the same name as the website -plus .htm of course.

Peter
Peter, London

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #145 on: October 30, 2015, 01:37:08 pm »
Meep,
When I click on your website link, I am directed to a vanilla webpage with the word "test" in the top left corner. It has appeared that way for a couple of days now. Is that the test page that you've been trying to upload?

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #146 on: October 30, 2015, 01:43:44 pm »
Hi folks,

I have another question.

Meepzorp

Alternatively you can give it the same name as the website -plus .htm of course.

Peter

Hi Pete,

I didn't know that.

Maybe that's why nothing changed in my website.

What do I do now? How do I remove it from Joe's server, re-name it, and then re-transfer it again?

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #147 on: October 30, 2015, 01:45:06 pm »
Quote from: Carausius on October 30, 2015, 01:37:08 pm
Meep,
When I click on your website link, I am directed to a vanilla webpage with the word "test" in the top left corner. It has appeared that way for a couple of days now. Is that the test page that you've been trying to upload?

Hi Cara,

No, that is not the test page I was trying to upload. That is the page Joe's webmaster placed there.

Meepzorp

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historia
« Reply #148 on: October 30, 2015, 01:50:31 pm »
Quote from: Meepzorp on October 30, 2015, 01:43:44 pm
Hi folks,

I have another question.

Meepzorp

Peter

Hi Pete,

I didn't know that.

Maybe that's why nothing changed in my website.

What do I do now? How do I remove it from Joe's server, re-name it, and then re-transfer it again?

Meepzorp

Yes, just erase it on the server, rename your file and transfer again.

Peter
Peter, London

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #149 on: October 30, 2015, 02:16:15 pm »
Hi folks,

I erased my file from Joe's server.

I went into htmlkit and changed the name of the file to index.htm. I went into my hard drive and moved the file from the "recent" folder to the folder I created. I went back to Filezilla, connected to Joe's server, and dragged the index file to the right. It stated "successful transfer". It is on Joe's server.

I clicked on my website link in Forum, and it is still not working. My test home page still isn't there.

I don't know what is wrong.

I noticed one thing though. In htmlkit, I named the file "index.htm". But, in Filezilla, the file is named "index.lnk". I don't know why.

Meepzorp

All coins are guaranteed for eternity