Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help with Sear Books  (Read 1611 times)

dawnsmith

Help with Sear Books
« on: May 22, 2012, 07:32:42 pm »
I am the proud new owner of hand-me-down David Sear books - Roman Coins and Their Values 1-4.  Wow -- it's like Christmas!  I have already found many of my coins thanks to the beginners tutorials on this site (many thanks), but I am feeling like the dumbest newbie ever.  I am looking at the following coin listing in my book for a common Constantine:

Q, b or C. Rev. SOLI INVICTO COMITI...

Next entry:

P or Q, b or c. Rev. - as previous...

Here's the question:  I have searched the entire opening chapters of all the books and I'll be darned if I can find any hint at what these Q's P's b's or c's mean... I feel so stupid - it's like everyone gets it but me!  I am happy to read up on this and learn for myself if some kind soul would just point me in the right direction - I have Googled ever search string I can think of (including "alien language spoken only in Sear books") to no avail.  What are these letters that appear throughout the books?  Any help is appreciated!

Offline Victor C

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Constantine the Great
Re: Help with Sear Books
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 07:42:35 pm »
look in the intro to Constantine on page 409
Victor Clark

LRB gallery

dawnsmith

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 07:49:51 pm »
A prayer will be offered up in your favor tonight (Roman Gods included)!  Thanks so much!

Offline Victor C

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Constantine the Great
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 07:58:24 pm »
Glad to help...there is a learning curve, but you will get a handle on it soon.
Victor Clark

LRB gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity