Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Philip II of Macedon Tetradrachm  (Read 9615 times)

Offline Dapsul

• Caesar
Philip II of Macedon Tetradrachm
« on: April 21, 2012, 10:57:52 am »
I've been looking for an affordable but nevertheless good looking Philip II Tet with king reverse for years - I never liked the boy with his palm branch. I think this piece was worth the long waiting.

Frank

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Philip II of Macedon Tetradrachm
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 11:27:56 am »
Congratulations! A great coin, and never mind the test cut!
While the boy with palm branch is nice, he certainly can't compare with the king in his royal gesture - I agree completely with you. But what strikes me even more - unlike in earlier times when my eyes were less trained - is the difference in the Zeus head. These classical heads have a sculptural quality that the later Hellenistic ones, while trying hard to copy, don't reach anymore.
I enclose a picture of my Philip II Early Tet (in slightly lesser condition, with craquelé surfaces and a countermark on the horse) for comparison.

Best regards,

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 12:17:43 pm »
Very nice coins indeed. I bought one of this type last year:-

They are most pleasing in hand.
Regards,
Martin

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 01:36:36 pm »
Fantastic coins!

4to2CentBCphilia

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 03:33:42 pm »
Very nice coins indeed. I bought one of this type last year:-

They are most pleasing in hand.
Regards,
Martin

Yes you did.............and I miss it........  :(

Glad you are still enjoying it.

BR

Mark

dragan m

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 03:51:12 pm »
I'm sorry to bother but I have a similar coin that I want to sell. If you know someone who would like to buy for the right price. I would like to put a picture to see it but do not know how. it is Philip II of Macedon Tetradrachm.

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 03:58:50 pm »
You can send the pictures to the email in my profile and I can post them for you. If genuine, I would consign the coin to a coin dealer, like Joe Sermarini, who runs this site and the coin shop here.
Andreas Reich

4to2CentBCphilia

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 04:24:41 pm »
I've been looking for an affordable but nevertheless good looking Philip II Tet with king reverse for years - I never liked the boy with his palm branch. I think this piece was worth the long waiting.

Frank

Wise choice. These left facing riders are earlier and less common.

BR

Mark

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 09:15:29 pm »
Congratulations on a very fine coin Frank. The portrait of Zeus is exceptional, full of strength and power.

It is fascinating how different artists have portrayed Zeus over this series, emphasizing the different aspects they must have perceived in the deity.

Rupert- The image of Zeus on your example looks less intimidating than most, in fact he almost looks friendly and approachable!

Martin- Your coin portrait has a sense of energy and action, aided by the dynamic swirl of his hair and flamboyant rendering of the mustache. A super coin.

My example has surface porosity and the almost inevitable test cut on the horse, but Zeus does seem to have a “not of this world” look about him.

Best Regards,
Steve

Offline rover1.3

• Tribunus Plebis 2012 / Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 12:07:32 pm »
Frank, Ι really share your enthusiasm about that quality coin of yours.

Lifetime AR tetradrachm issues of Philip II are of exquisite beauty, no matter whether they bear the King or the Youth Rider reverse.
I like the Youth Rider more, (that is one of the reasons I collect the Apollo/Youth Rider AE units of the series), but that is personal, totally subjective, thus respectable. (my own Youth Rider tetradrachm is what follows below, Pella mint, 342-336 BC)
What's undisputable, is the world of difference between the lifetime and the later posthumous emissions of the type.
Lifetime are simply much better. Dies of high artistic merit, better strikes, higher relief.
It is clear that, trying hard to show off, to pass and ultimately to impose his Greek character, Philip was especially interested
in the aesthetic aspect of his coins and also in the propaganda and psychological effects they would have on the rest of the Greek world
and especially on "those snob, democratic Athenians" and on "the more barbarian" people than himself...

All the best,

rover

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 12:28:14 pm »
I decided that I would be happy with a lifetime of one type and a posthumous of the other.

Martin

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 01:27:26 pm »
Greek god Zeus also still holds the all-time world record for the strongest headache. Imagine what it must feel like when suddenly your skull opens, and Athena jumps out in full armour! Very rarely depicted on coins. But I have one where we see Zeus just afterwards! ;D

Best regards,

Rupert

PS: Can anybody give me a catalogue number for this coin? Reverse field marks: Small trident right under the horse, Sigma in front.
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2012, 01:29:29 pm »
Now those are really aggressive test cuts. Really unusual.
Martin

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 04:50:38 pm »
Maybe the tester had just had a mega bust-up with the wife.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

All coins are guaranteed for eternity