Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Strange Republic coin? DE GERMANIS, Fantasy ??  (Read 819 times)

Offline Jerome Holderman

• Caesar
  • My name is Jerome, and I am a coinaholic!
Strange Republic coin? DE GERMANIS, Fantasy ??
« on: January 28, 2010, 07:22:29 pm »
Admittedly I do not know much about republic issues, and do not have good resources for them? But so far I am coming up empty on this one? The reverse seems to match a Denarius of Nero Claudius Drusus, and the obverse seems like a republic issue?

Any Ideas? Some strange fantasy fake?

Obverse: SARN (Not sure if last letter is N or AV Monogram?)
Reverse: DE GERMANIS, archway with horseman and two trophys

20mm, 6.2gm

Offline Steve Minnoch

• Tribunus Plebis 2007
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Strange Republic coin? DE GERMANIS, Fantasy ??
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 07:30:00 pm »
Seems to combine the obv with the issue of M. Atilius Serranus (RRC 214/1, 148 BCE) with the Nero Claudius Drusus coin you identified.   I've not heard of such a huge chronological difference in the two sides of any ancient counterfeit before. 

So ancient fake or modern?  It does look ancient to me.

It is SARAN, the last is an AN monogram.

Steve

Offline Volodya

• Procurator Monetae
  • Consul
    • Imitations of Roman Republican Denarii
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 07:50:52 pm »
On the one hand, such large chronological differences are known on genuine ancient imitations. See for example #s I1, I3, & I7 on this page of my site:
http://rrimitations.ancients.info/imperial.html
On the other hand, although I can't find other examples of these dies and so can't "prove" it, I'll be very surprised if this particular coin is ancient.

Phil Davis

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 02:42:33 am »
Admittedly I do not know much about republic issues, and do not have good resources for them? But so far I am coming up empty on this one? The reverse seems to match a Denarius of Nero Claudius Drusus, and the obverse seems like a republic issue?

Any Ideas? Some strange fantasy fake?

Obverse: SARN (Not sure if last letter is N or AV Monogram?)
Reverse: DE GERMANIS, archway with horseman and two trophys

20mm, 6.2gm

A strange modern fantasy fake would be my guess. Or a strange fake intended to provoke the curiosity of an ebay buyer and get him to pay $20 for something that cost 20 cents to make.

On large age gaps, they do occur quite wide on plated ancient fakes. Image below shows a near 200 year gap on one coin - 170BC reverse, Augustan obverse.

Offline Jerome Holderman

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 09:48:27 am »
Thanks,

The coin came in a bulk lot of Imperial Denari from a very respected wholesaler. Not to imply that means it could not be modern, just that it was not put out on e-bay with any ill intent, and that the source is very reliable.

Offline Volodya

• Procurator Monetae
  • Consul
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 11:15:41 am »
Did any of the other coins in the lot have the same apparent corrosion? That doesn't look "natural" to me, but as we know, photos take pleasure in misleading us!

Phil

The coin came in a bulk lot of Imperial Denari from a very respected wholesaler. Not to imply that means it could not be modern, just that it was not put out on e-bay with any ill intent, and that the source is very reliable.

Offline Jerome Holderman

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 11:43:55 am »
No, this coin was the only one in the group with this look. It looks fairly convincing to me in hand, but my experience with coroded silver is pretty limited...

The high weight really struck me as odd as well...  

Offline Volodya

• Procurator Monetae
  • Consul
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 11:48:46 am »
I didn't notice the weight. There are very heavy imitations, over 5g, but I've never seen one that heavy. Certainly another strike against this coin.

Phil

No, this coin was the only one in the group with this look. It looks fairly convincing to me in hand, but my experience with coroded silver is pretty limited...
The high weight really struck me as odd as well...  

Offline commodus

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 09:10:31 pm »
Roughly 40% heavier than a denarius ought to be. Whatever it is -- ancient or modern -- it is a fake. I lean toward modern (i.e. not ancient). The surfaces send up red flags for me -- more like casting than corrosion. Perhaps something that was intended for jewelry?
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity