Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Two large romans  (Read 1762 times)

Brown

Two large romans
« on: June 11, 2009, 07:38:43 am »
Dear friends,

I'm a complete newbie and would like to request your help with these two coins. A friend of mine who isn't much into computers found them with his brand new md the other day. Could you kindly tell me if they're worth anything?

I tried ID'ing on my own but got completely lost...  :-[

Both are 29 mm in diameter. Thank you for your help.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: Two large romans
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 07:47:54 am »
Hi!
The first is Caracalla from Nicaea (Nikaia) in Bithynia, a  nice coin, the second is Julian II from Heraclea with a bull on the reverse.
I don't know which goddess is portrayed on the first coin's reverse but others will know.

Andreas

Just to be safe, please don't do anything to the first coin, no cleaning of any sort.
Andreas Reich

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 08:07:20 am »
The Caracalla doesn't seem too common,
no example online.
Not in SNG von Aulock but he doesn't have so many Caracallas from that city anyway.

Andreas
Andreas Reich

Brown

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 09:08:32 am »
Dear areich,
thank you very much for the information. I too spent a lot of time looking for the first coin in different archives and was unable to find it. I attributed this to my lack of knowledge/experience though. Thank you once more - am looking forward to some more input from yourself or other members. And don't worry -  I won't touch it!  :)

All the Best!

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 09:59:51 am »
I didn't find it in my books, either (checking Waddington RG, SNG Leypold, SNG Righetti, Lindgren I+III, Imhoof-Blumer KM), but I would say that the reverse shows the togate emperor sacrificing from patera over tripod. I can not see what he is holding in his left arm, maybe a box of incense.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Geko

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 10:14:42 am »
I have the coin in my hand now (Brown and the person who found it are my close friends). I am not very much into coins and there are no numismatic books here, but I spent the last hours looking for this coin on the Internet until I got dizzy, with no avail. The closest match is here: http://www.provincial-romans.com/provincial/Coins/Caracalla012.htm but it is obviously a different one.

I would also love to learn more about this coin. I have not handled many ancient coins but this one feels somehow special, I can't really explain why. 

Geko

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 10:27:00 am »
By the way, Pscipio, you may be right. The figure on the back seems to be male and it really seems that he is holding incense in his left hand.

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 10:32:45 am »
Waddington RG (the most complete book for Nikaia) lists a number of Caracalla coins showing the emperor on the reverse, but always in military attire, not togate, as yours does. It is well possible that your coin is unlisted; Nikaia was an extremely active mint, and we even have a special thread for unlisted Nikaia coins: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=45586.0

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Brown

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 12:48:20 pm »
Thank you all for the replies. The consensus seems to be that this is an unlisted coin, and I will post it in the thread which you so kindly provided.

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 04:48:39 pm »

Thanks to trouble with wrongly merged threads the Nicaean Addenda address is now

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=45188.0
Temper thy haste with sloth -- Taverner / Erasmus.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity