Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Dremel cleaning question  (Read 10542 times)

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
Dremel cleaning question
« on: August 31, 2007, 02:18:27 pm »
What is the best method to keep a coin in place while cleaning with a dremel (otherwise known as how do I keep from shooting coins across the room!!!). A shop sells a coin clamp dealy that looks as if it would do the trick but I was wondering what you all did.

Thanks
Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
Re: Dremel cleaning question
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 03:10:06 pm »
Maybe I'm weird, but I found a really great tool that I use whenever I'm using the Dremel, my fingers!  ;D

I know that sounds sarcastic, but TBH it does allow far more flexibility of attack angles whilst you use it, and also allows you to feel how gentle you are being on the coin itself.

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 04:03:48 pm »
mwilson603, even on little guys? I have some as small as 7-8mm and that kinda gives me the creepin heebies thinking of trying to hold on to one whilst dremeling!  ;D

Circus_Maximus, I may try that.

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 05:38:33 pm »
I must admit that I have never done any that small, but I have done 10mm or so, and I have never had any issues with a brass brush fitting. 

I used to be worried, but I experimented with holding my finger against the end in a controlled way, and it is quite amazing how forgiving it is on your own flesh compared to what it does on dirt.  The worst I have had so far is a little friction burn on my hand where I slipped.  I have honestly never hurt the pads of my fingers with the brass brush except when I spiked myself with a strand of brass picking the darn thing up once.  :)

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 09:04:01 pm »
Thanks again, I tried the finger method and it was not tooooo bad. I did flip a little campgate across the room and a big ole hadrian 30mm at myself, but I am getting the hang of it.  ::)

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 12:18:15 am »
I always dremel in a spot in the basement with old carpetting down and next to a stack of cardboard boxes because I usually lose grip on every 10th or 20th coin and it goes flying.  The carpet keeps it safe and easy to find.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline maelstromracing

• Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007, 09:25:38 am »
What speed are you using on the dremel brass brush? low speed? Highspeed? Medium speed?  I tried it with a few slugs and it worn the brass brush down FAST.  Any tips?  Thanks!

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2007, 12:06:53 pm »
According to the dremel manual, wire brushes should be on no higher speed than 15000 rpm, as a matter of fact "Polishing, buffing and cleaning with a wire brush must be done at speeds below 15,000 RPM to prevent damage to the brush."

On my dremel that means between 2 and 4 (even though on an illustration it says "*2 is the maximum speed setting for wire brushes." <------- I actually am following that one, it seems to fling the coins a shorter distance! ;) )

Chris

Offline SC

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2007, 01:55:17 pm »
For me:

Lowest speed possible.  Always on a wet coin.  Very light touch.  Still the brass brushes do wear down very fast.  I have started to use the steel brush for very limited work.  Such as on concrete like encrustations between soaks.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Thomas C

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2007, 12:59:34 am »
Anybody tried putting the coin on play-doh ?

Offline awl

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2007, 01:10:29 am »
Quote from: Thomas C on September 02, 2007, 12:59:34 am
Anybody tried putting the coin on play-doh ?

It sounds as if it might be worth a try, but I would be afraid that the dremel bit will get into the play dough and ruin it. On the other hand it could work if the coin was just leaning on the play dough that is in a shape of a half a sphere. This might push the coin into the dough to absorb the energy.

Offline bruce61813

• Conservator
  • Consul
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2007, 11:52:45 pm »
The Dremel that i use is one of the battery powered ones. It runs at a slower speed and less torque than the AC powered ones.  It will send a coin spinning, but not often, and it is much easier on the fingers.

bruce

too many coins - too little time!!

Offline Raymond

• Consul
  • I want to be a coinnoisseur
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 12:54:08 pm »
why does the coin need to be wet?  How do you know it's time to replace the brush?  Will a worn brush harm the coin or will I just be wasting my time (and skin)?
I do it over the basement sink (plugged), toilet cover down, shower stall and door closed to limit the inevitable and yet always startling and random trajectory of the coin from the palm of my hand.  That and the tiny lettering is why I almost despise  AE4s.
Raymond 
Raymond
(Tetricus is not a game)

Offline fordicus

• Consul
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 01:33:40 pm »
why does the coin need to be wet?  How do you know it's time to replace the brush?  Will a worn brush harm the coin or will I just be wasting my time (and skin)?
I do it over the basement sink (plugged), toilet cover down, shower stall and door closed to limit the inevitable and yet always startling and random trajectory of the coin from the palm of my hand.  That and the tiny lettering is why I almost despise  AE4s.
Raymond 

you haven't lived until you've plucked an AE4 out of a sink disposal  ;D

Offline SC

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2007, 07:04:50 pm »
Why wet?  The water acts as a lubricant and prevents, or at least reduces the chance, of patina damage.

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2007, 08:26:58 pm »
To go a little further on why wet, when brushing, bits of the brush (see the brass streaks post) and materials come free from the coin, this will build up and act as another abrasive on top of the one you are already using (the dremel brush) which can lead to damaging the coin (same deal with a whet stone, you're suppose to keep them wet or oiled when you use them so the material you are sharpening dosent get forced doen in the stone therefore rendering it smooth and useless), on top of that, it's a heck of a lot easier seeing whats been cleaned if the removed materials are constantly being washed off.

Chris

Offline SC

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2007, 06:16:07 pm »
Chris,

The seeing things point is very true.  Some kinds of dirt go from a medium grey which is hard to distinguish from the grey-green patina when dry to a black on green when wet.  This is another reason why even cleaning by pick is usually better on a wet coin.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Raymond

• Consul
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2007, 10:17:44 am »
I measure my cleaning progress by looking at the rising and spreading splatter pattern on the mirror above the sink!
In the Dremel tool section at HD, they carry a polishing paste.  Worth trying?
Finally, after RenWax, cloth or felt wheels for polishing?
Raymond
Raymond
(Tetricus is not a game)

Offline bruce61813

• Conservator
  • Consul
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2007, 11:22:03 am »

In the Dremel tool section at HD, they carry a polishing paste.  Worth trying?
Finally, after RenWax, cloth or felt wheels for polishing?
Raymond
I would not use the polishing paste, it has an abrasive in it and will wear away the surface of the coin. If you used it, it would tend to grind away the high areas.

Either work fine, my jeans have a 'polishing streak" down one leg from rubbing coins on them.

Bruce

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2007, 03:33:29 am »
Ave!

My  friends, sorry to butt in, but I believe that most of you are really over-thinking the Dremel tool cleaning process.

All hubris aside, it was me, way back in the day, who first posted the idea of cleaning coins with specialized Dremel tools. At that time, 4-5 years ago, I was damned by nearly 100% of the members here on Forum for even proposing cleaning ancient coins with a battery-powered tool. Yes, I still remember your names...  :tongue:

Either way, cleaning coins with special Dremel tools has now become an accepted method.

First, hold the coin in one hand! Yes, using the SBBB under running water sometimes does cause the coin to flip off into space. So what? Just pick it up and begin again.

But, when using my specialized low grit tools, they are best used dry, or with a bit of spit to help lubricate and put the dirt into a suspention. Tool, wipe, spit and repeat.

It's really that easy. Once finished, a bit of Ren Wax and a qiuck buff and your coin is done.

Best,

Kevin

"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline arizonarobin

• Caesar
  • Ms. arizonarobin :)
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2007, 03:51:33 pm »
I use the dremel with nylon brushes and water.  Just hand held- and I flip a few but for the more part over the years I have learned to hold them pretty well.  ;D  If I use any brush or tool aside from the nylon brush - I will only use my battery operated dremel.  I find the plug in type too strong even on the lowest setting for me. 

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2007, 05:41:18 pm »
Kevin is the undisputed king of cleaning as far as I'm concerned, so whilst I am going to say something that kind of sounds like I'm contradicting him, I am doing it from a position of absolute respect and student style awe ;D

I use a dremel type tool as well, and I will use a SBBB with it occasionally.  When I do use it however, I can honestly say I rarely use water, or any other fluid.  I find that I can see the coin surface better when it is dry, and I never seem to get any brass transference onto the coin surface either.  Maybe I'm just lucky!?!

I will say one thing though.  If you decide not to use any fluid, please remember that 1700 encrustations, brushed into small pieces and then flung away from the coin surface at high speed by the rotating SBBB, really, REALLY hurt when they get caught behind your contact lenses  :laugh:

Offline Raymond

• Consul
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2007, 08:16:20 am »
... Tool, wipe, spit and repeat.
It's really that easy. Once finished, a bit of Ren Wax and a qiuck buff and your coin is done.
Best,
Kevin

and I'm still humming and hawing over coins from a year ago! ::)
Raymond
Raymond
(Tetricus is not a game)

Offline bruce61813

• Conservator
  • Consul
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2007, 10:56:50 am »
There are two major reasons for running water; First - it lubricates and remove the grit, this may slow down the cleaning process, but it does keep the loosened material from grinding into the coin or wearing away area.
the second - to help keep the coin cool

Mark get clear safety glasses  ;D, especially since the bristles of the cup brush break off and are tossed about.

Bruce

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2007, 11:38:27 pm »
Ave!

Kevin is the undisputed king of cleaning as far as I'm concerned, so whilst I am going to say something that kind of sounds like I'm contradicting him, I am doing it from a position of absolute respect and student style awe ;D

I use a dremel type tool as well, and I will use a SBBB with it occasionally. When I do use it however, I can honestly say I rarely use water, or any other fluid. I find that I can see the coin surface better when it is dry, and I never seem to get any brass transference onto the coin surface either. Maybe I'm just lucky!?!

Marc et al,

I most cases I use the Dremel tools seen below on a dry coin surface.

[see below]

From left to right they are: F55, F45, P80, B10 and B15.

For brevities sake, if you're simply cleaning a coin covered with soft dirt, begin with the P80. Probe/press down at a 45 degree angle with gentle pressure. Due to the very sharp point, in many cases the dirt will actually break/split off from the coin's surface. Continue with this tool until you have a clear idea of the coin's portrait, legends, and Rx details. At this point, you can switch to the F55/F55 to further clean the portrait, open fields, Rx details and legends. Return to the P80 for extreme detail cleaning. That's sounds simple enough, doesn't it?

Now here's the real trick, kids...

For years, after scraping, probing, dremeling, etc., after each use, I would wipe the dust/debris off with a cotton towel. Until a few years ago, I didn't realize that I was actually pressing the dirt/dust back onto the coin's surface, hense, not actually removing much of the dirt that had been loosened by the tools.

Now, after every short Dremel tool use, I hand-brush off the dirt with the tools seen below that I use to buff finished coins. A common toothbrush will work for you.

[see below]

Sometimes it's the little things that can make a big difference.  ;D

Best,

Kevin

"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

All coins are guaranteed for eternity