Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: maiorina  (Read 5770 times)

Offline Raymond

• Consul
  • I want to be a coinnoisseur
maiorina
« on: October 06, 2006, 01:00:02 pm »
what's an AE-maiorina?  Didn't see it in the glossary.
Raymond
Raymond
(Tetricus is not a game)

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
Re: maiorina
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 01:59:48 pm »
AE stands for copper or base metal. Maiorina comes from an edict of 354 which de-monetised, amongst other coins, pecunia maiorinae, meaning 'large coins'. Nobody knows exactly which coins were referred too. They may have been the large coins of Magnentius. Today the name is used rather indiscriminately.
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline Raymond

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 10:41:02 pm »
indiscriminately for large coins I assume?  Thank you
Raymond
Raymond
(Tetricus is not a game)

Offline Jean Paul D

• Consul
  • Semper si recordare
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 08:43:17 am »
hi, i will write what i have on my Sears book about Maiorina:
" about AD 348,Constantius II and Constans reformed the bronze coinage by introducing several new dominations to replace the centenionalis- the billon maiorina,struck on two weight standars (5,2 grams and 4,5 grams) and a half maiorina has frequently been refered to in catalogues as a centenionalis."

hope it helps you!
best regards
JP

Offline Raymond

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 08:12:01 pm »
Thank you very much for this latest info- quite interesting.
Raymond
Raymond
(Tetricus is not a game)

Offline the10thlegion

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 10:45:10 am »
I just saw a coin described as "AE26 AE1 Double Maiorian" I started googling and I'm not sure I understand the difference between a maiorina and a double maiorina. Would this be because as mentioned earlier the term maiorina is loosly used?

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 11:16:34 am »
Sear in his fifth volume of 'Roman Coins and there Values' now names denominations rather than AE1, AE2 etc. as before. I don't think there is any proof as to what they were called. But he does call some a 'double maiorina'. Those include the large Christogram coins of Magnetius and Decentius.
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 11:54:23 am »
The only real historical reference is the edict from 354 that PeterD mentions.  I believe it not only refers to the coinage of Magnentius (who was defeated in late 353) but also likely all of the larger AE2 coinage introduced by Constans and Constantius in 350.  By 354 these had been replaced with smaller, lighter falling horseman coins and the mint wanted the silver rich, larger coinage back.

Though that is the only historical use of the term Maiorina it is often used by dealers to refer to the AE2 size coinage struck from 348 (i.e. the large FEL TEMP REPARATIO Galley and Falling Horsemen types) through to 395 (Theodosius and family's GLORIA ROMANORVM). 

The term Double Maiorina is used by some dealers to refer to the larger AE1 types.  Thus, Magnentius' SALVS, Julian's Bull, and Jovian and Valentinian's short lived AE1 types.

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Victor C

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Constantine the Great
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 01:47:32 pm »
The only real historical reference is the edict from 354

From a law dated 12 Feb 349 --

“We have learned that some metal casters purge the majorina criminally and frequently, by separating the silver from the bronze.” Theodosian Code 9:21:6

the first edict mentioned in this post (issued circa A.D. 354) is also from the Theodosian Code (9:23:3).
Victor Clark

LRB gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity