Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Roman Provincial Coins Discussion Forum

Constantius 1 Follis mint mark

(1/2) > >>

Kim B. N:
Good evening board, i hope someone can help me make out the mint mark on this lovely coin. The closest i could get is RIC VI 51c, but it´s not the one.
Thank you for you time and help.
Cheers Kim  :)

Coin info:

Constantius 1 Follis (I think)

CONSTANTINVS NOB CAES.
SALVIS AVGG ET CAESS FEL KART.
Mintmark perhaps Γ at the bottom of Karthagos feet.
Weight: 12.19 g.
Size: 2.7 cm.

SC:
RIC-VI-32a I believe.

Standard  :Greek_Gamma: in the exergue.

SC

Victor C:
I always catalogue these as RIC VI Carthage 30a/32a. That is because RIC breaks up this issue by portrait head size. Carthage 29-30 are smaller and 31- 32 are larger. In the footnotes though, RIC states "Elmer, N.Z. 1932, divided this issue into two sections, with portraits small or less small and with Carthago thin or larger--distinctions which are very difficult to maintain. It is likely that, if the issue was of any duration, these differences came about to some extent by natural variation and development."

SC:
Good point.  While this example would appear to have a head on the larger end of the scale, your interpretation that they may not represent intentional, or at least meaningful, differences makes sense.  I wonder why RIC would include that comment, but still decide to keep Elmer's division.

SC

Kim B. N:
Thank you Otlichnik and Victor, and i can see my legend is CONSTANTIVS and not CONSTANTINVS. I think its getting to late for my old eyes.  ;D I only have the deepest respect for you good folks who take the time to really read Davids books. I got a courple of them, but dont have the time or brains to remember so much info. hahaha!

Thank you again! :) "Bigger heads" well you learn something new everyday right?  ::)

Kim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version