Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: First coin I am cleaning  (Read 1038 times)

Offline Rolandas V

• Auxiliary
First coin I am cleaning
« on: September 22, 2021, 05:46:22 pm »
Hi,m8s!
This is the first coin I am cleaning  ::) Till now I am satisfied with my job.
I have scratched to plain metal in  some places, so I decided to stop and ask for your advice. I have removed everything what was possible to remove mechanically. The dark green solid like stone crust is hiding more details of the coin. How can I remove it without damaging patina? Chemicals? Electrolysis?
By the way, maybe somebody can identify this coin already? Weight is 0.83 g, diameter 13-15 mm.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: First coin I am cleaning
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 06:06:47 pm »
The type is SALVS REIPVBLICE.  Having a good image of one always helps in cleaning.

it is always good to stop and take a break instead of pushing on and rushing the cleaning.  It has been dirty for around 1600 years so waiting a bit won't hurt it.

What have you used so far and how hard is the dark green stuff?

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Rolandas V

• Auxiliary
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2021, 06:25:11 pm »
I soaked in olive oil for 10 days, brushed with liquid soap under warm water and, you will be laughing, cleaned with little office knife. I have ordered various tools from USA (I am from Sweden), but the post haven't come yet. I was impatient and started to clean with the stuff I had on my table  :evil:
The green stuff is hard as stone. My office knife can't clean not a little dust from it. The knife slides without making any mark on it.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2021, 09:18:38 pm »
I some cases you can't clean everything off.  Some of the green might just be too hard.

Not sure what you ordered, but for me scalpel or curved x-acto blades (#10 and #22) work best.  They are usually safer and easier to use when kept sharp so a sharpening stone/whetstone helps.

Unless you have really good eyes they are easier to use under magnification - with a magnifying glass stand, binocular microscope or magnifying head-band.

While you wait for your supplies there are literally hundreds of messages on this thread to read that can be helpful.

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2021, 09:54:51 pm »
Otlichmik gave you good advice. Here is more. Cleaning a coin with olive oil or distilled water can take weeks or months. 10 days is not long enough to see real results on a badly crusted coin.

In this coin's case, mechanical cleaning may be the way to go. Use proper tools, light, and magnification.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2021, 10:37:21 pm »
I am no expert, but I have had a few coins soaking in distilled water for months, probably over a year. I have also found that even with a scalpel, that green stuff doesn't want to come off. I will take them out from time to time and wipe and look under magnification. And I change the water every few days. There comes a point when what is left is really hard to get off and I worry about damaging the coin. Bamboo skewers work well on easier crude and I have found that cleaning a coin wet is better than doing it dry, using a soft wire brush and wet towel. There is a point you can do no more. From the pictures you posted, your coin actually looks pretty decent given that uncleaned coins are never going to look mint state. And some you may never be able to identify. I have never used chemicals, myself. Although I might be open to it with otherwise hopeless coins as I really have nothing to lose at that point. Others may disagree.

Virgil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity