Greek or Roman?

(1/2) > >>

solon:

A friend has posted this picture.

PB   Approx. 100g.

Is this a weight or a seal ?

Thank you in advance for your help.

djmacdo:
It appears to be a piece of baked clay.  I doubt it is ancient.  The style is mediocre.

Altamura:
Perhaps it is a mold for something :-\.

--- Quote from: djmacdo on January 30, 2021, 07:18:52 am ---It appears to be a piece of baked clay.  I doubt it is ancient.  The style is mediocre.

--- End quote ---
There have been phases and places in antiquity with mediocre styles, this alone doesn't exclude it to be ancient.

Regards

Altamura

djmacdo:
True, but the cruder it is, the easier to fake as so more suspicious.  Do you see anything that indicates that it is ancient?  Does it appear to be a piece of anything larger or to have had a use in its current form?

Altamura:

--- Quote from: djmacdo on January 30, 2021, 03:44:55 pm ---... Does it appear to be a piece of anything larger ...
--- End quote ---
Perhaps, perhaps not. The left and the upper edge seem to be quite straight, the remaining two seem to be damaged. We cannot tell :-\.

--- Quote from: djmacdo on January 30, 2021, 03:44:55 pm ---... or to have had a use in its current form? ...
--- End quote ---
Again: It looks to me like a mold. There have been in antiquity e.g. lots of crude votive figurines in very bad style made by the use of molds.
But because of this crudeness you cannot decide from what time it could be, this could go perhaps until the 19th century, who knows :-\?

--- Quote from: djmacdo on January 30, 2021, 03:44:55 pm ---... True, but the cruder it is, the easier to fake as so more suspicious.  Do you see anything that indicates that it is ancient?  ...
--- End quote ---
It does not look really old (no stains) but also not really new (no sharp edges). For me the question simply is undecided  :-\. I don't have to buy it, so I can leave it like this  :).

Regards

Altamura

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version