Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unusual celtic "drachm"  (Read 3250 times)

Offline Finn235

• Praetorian
Unusual celtic "drachm"
« on: January 10, 2018, 10:16:27 am »
Not really sure what to make of this one; can't figure out what the prototype coin would be, even.

AR or BI "drachm", 17mm, 0.97g
Crude laureate head right
"Male" figure standing, facing, noodly arms. Gibberish legend like NNMO-

Looks like an Eastern Europe imitative, but it seems uncharacteristically debased for that region.

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Unusual celtic "drachm"
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 09:53:51 pm »
Turn the reverse photo 180 degree and I thin you can see a cornucopiae.  Presuming this is silver, I think you have a primitive version of one of the Galatian copies of a Seleucid drachm.  Most ot those I have see are better style than this, so I would imagine this came late in the production, sort of an imitation of an imitation of a Seleucid drachm.  The Galatians, of course, were Celts.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity