Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Doctored Trajan Aureus  (Read 312 times)

Offline Kevin D

• Consul
Doctored Trajan Aureus
« on: June 25, 2021, 03:03:40 pm »
This Trajan Aureus (approximately 18-19mm, 7.30g, 6-7h) has been worked on by a talented coin doctor. With only the 'after' auction images, I cannot see the work done. I suspect with the coin in hand using my good quality 9 power magnifier, it might be difficult to see the work done (I have not had this coin in hand). However, with the 'before' auction images for comparison, the work done to this coin becomes readily apparent:

Severe gouges/scratches have been worked out of the reverse field and staining added to mask this and to distract the viewer’s eye.

This coin had a large scrape on the edge at 8 o'clock (viewed from obverse and described in the ‘before’ auction listing) that has been hidden with new metal (or some other material) by the coin doctor (a marked increase is seen here in surface area). The coin weighs about the same in the ‘before’ auction as it does in the ‘after’ auction, so if it is in fact new metal seen over the edge scrape this might be an indicator of how much metal was removed in doctoring the scratches/gouges on the reverse.

A significant scratch under the obverse portrait is seen to have been touched up by the coin doctor. Reddish staining/toning has also been added to the obverse to try and mask the doctor's tracks.

The letter Q on the reverse, originally with a large gash, has been repaired. The border next to this letter Q, originally with a continuation of the same gash, has also been repaired.

The letters CO that start the reverse legend, have been tooled. As well, the letter C that ends the reverse legend, has been tooled.

An original small prominent die break on the obverse border at 12 o’clock has been reduced.

An original small gash on the edge, seen at 3 o’clock from the obverse, has been reduced in size.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity