Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Advice on cleaning these coins.  (Read 1167 times)

Offline kkorky

• Legionary
Advice on cleaning these coins.
« on: February 18, 2013, 08:09:30 am »
I was told that in order to get cleaning advice on some coins that i have, i should photograph the coins in question and then, make a new thread in the section of the forum

It has taken me a very long while to eventually get to grips with a couple of photo editing programmes, and the photography....lets just say, David Bailey has no need to fear for his job  ;D

I would appreciate any feedback on how i could go about cleaning the various coins below-if any further information is needed about the coins, please feel free to PM me, i would be only to happy to respond.

Thank you all in advance for any feedback that you may care to part with-it will be greatly appreciated.

The coins are posted in this manner so as to accommodate all of the coins , and remove the need for multiple posts.

EDIT: there are a few that do not need cleaning (the lower ones i think) but i posted them nevertheless to be sure.

I HAVE REMOVED THE PHOTO I HAD HERE, AND I WILL REPOST IN THE COINS IN SMALLER GROUPS AS PER ADVICE GIVEN.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Advice on cleaning these coins.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 08:15:38 am »
Kkorky,

Welcome to the forum.

This is simply too many coins to be able to comment on in one go.  You may wish to group them by condition.

None of these appear to have any dirt on them so none require simple cleaning.

Several do not need any work at all - for example first ad last ones.

One - the copper coloured Byzantine with the large green spot - appears to require bronze disease (BD) treatment for which there are other threads here.

Many of the others have hard green encrustations or black residue on them and would likely require mechanical cleaning to improve.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline kkorky

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 08:20:34 am »
Hi, thank you kindly for your lightning prompt reply, and for your welcome to the forum-much appreciated.

I would gladly group them by condition-but (and as silly as this may seem) , im not exactly sure which would go where-i neglected to mention that some did not need cleaning imo, but i wanted to verify this fact being a complete novice-i will edit my first post to reflect the said fact.

that having been said-could you please offer a bit more info on how i could go about breaking things down-thanking you in advance.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 08:28:51 am »
It has taken me a very long while to eventually get to grips with a couple of photo editing programmes, and the photography....lets just say, David Bailey has no need to fear for his job  ;D

I recommend Photofiltre. Choose the version 7.
http://www.photofiltre.com/

It's more a widget than a Photoshop replacement, but it's exactly the sort of widget that's suitable for coin collectors. Very quick to open, very simple, does all you could possibly want for a coin.

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 09:06:06 am »
Similar to ID requests, it is better to post one coin (or very few) per thread. This here will not work, even a fraction of these coins would make for a very confusing thread. If you're not sure how to group them by condition, start with posting, say, 2 or 3 threads at most, each containing one coin. Posting 20 threads at once will not work either. Or try grouping them by colour. Cleaning silver coins is completely different from cleaning bronze. Some of your coins have already been cleaned down to the bare metal which is red or yellowish depending on the alloy used.
Andreas Reich

Offline kkorky

• Legionary
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 10:33:02 am »
Ok thanks for the advice-ill try the colour method and see how that goes.

i'll also remove the photo then from the 1st post.

@ Andrew McCabe-thank you for the software suggestion-i will look into it.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity