Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Share your favourite Republican coins.  (Read 33418 times)

Offline Philoromaos

• Caesar
  • NVNC EST BIBENDVM
Share your favourite Republican coins.
« on: November 24, 2009, 04:01:13 am »
This is a new one for me and my favourite Republican type so far, been one that I've been after a nice example of for a while now. Please share your favourite Republican types! Regards Adrian

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Share your favourite Republican coins.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 04:16:08 am »
that's a very nice denarius Adrian, and the portrait is in fine style. congratulations!

i have yet to obtain any of my favorite Republicans, but if i won the lottery i would be looking to collect the entire Muse series of Q. Pomponius Musa. the nicest known specimen of his Erato is currently listed at Triton XIII at an estimate of $30,000!!!
[LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]
but i guess maybe i could settle for the second nicest...  8)

i think the next Republican i will seriously go after will be the serrate of C. Mamilius Limetanus, the one with Odysseus returning home and being greeted by his dog. i just love that reverse scene!

~ Peter

Offline Philoromaos

• Caesar
  • NVNC EST BIBENDVM
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 05:52:52 am »
That is one that I too would love to have but I have yet to find an example that meets my standards which I can afford!

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 06:15:41 am »
i've seen a few reasonably priced ones over the past year, but always when i was skint. then again it is not my main field of interest, so there is usually something else to catch my eye when i'm flush.
but one day, one day...

~ Peter

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 09:07:07 am »
My favourite Republican coin is Junius Brutus Crawford 344/1. It is historical important. The rev. commemorates the expulsion of Tarquinius Superbus, the last Etruscan king, BC 509 by L.Junius Brutus, ancestor of the mintmaster. Tacitus Ann. 1, 1: "Libertatem et consulatum Brutus instituit."
Caesar should have paid more attention to it. Then he could have recognized that Brutus was a convinced Republican.

Best regards

Offline Philoromaos

• Caesar
  • NVNC EST BIBENDVM
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 09:32:52 am »
Great coin keep them coming!

Offline Ardatirion

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Veni, vidi, vomui.
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 11:27:23 am »
I don't have many Republicans, but the ones I do own I am quite fond of. The pictures don't even remotely do the first one justice!

Roman Republic
Cn. Egnatius Maxsumus, 75 BC
AR denarius – 19mm
bust or cupid r., bow and quiver over shoulder
MAXSVMVS
Jupiter and Libertas within distyle temple, thunderbolt and cap in tympanum
CN. N. to r., C. EGNATIVS. CN. F. in ex., VII to l.
Crawford 391/2; Syd 788

Roman Republic
C Mamilius Limetanus, 82 BC
AR denarius
draped bust of Mercury r. with caduceus over shoulder
Ulysses standing r., holding staff in l. hand and extending his r. hand to his dog Argus
C MAMIL to l., LIMETAN to r.
Sydenham 741, Crawford 362/1

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 01:39:03 pm »
Nice coins!  I really want one of those Brutus coins!

Here is just one of my favorite Republican coins...

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 05:21:49 pm »
Crawford 76/1c
is very nice, but there are others too... :-[

Frans

Offline silvernut

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 06:37:37 pm »
This is probably my favourite one, in spite of the rugged field of the reverse:

L. Scipio Asiagenus serratus denarius
Laureate head of Jupiter left.
Jupiter in quadriga right, I above, • above I; L·SCIP·ASIAG in exergue.
Cornelia 24; Crawford 311/1c

Regards,
Ignasi

Offline Philoromaos

• Caesar
  • NVNC EST BIBENDVM
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 03:20:09 pm »
Great coins guys, I love republicans! That Scipio Asiagenius is fantastic! It's another that's on my want list. I take it their's not many conneseurs of republican coinage on this board? I thought more people would have posted!

Adrian

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 05:53:51 pm »
Wonderful coins. Sometimes I think Republican coins lead a shadow existence, wrongly.

Best regards

Offline Gilgamesh

• Consul
  • I came, I saw, I'm still looking.
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 08:18:29 pm »
"shadow existence"? Like we collectors of same?

Great coins all! I will post some of mine shortly.
Every day I know less and less about more and more. Soon I expect to know nothing about everything.

Offline Gilgamesh

• Consul
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2009, 08:36:01 pm »
Where best to start? My first roman republican, bought in 1978.

M. Atilius Saranus, c. 148 B.C., Cr 214/1, 3.78g.
Every day I know less and less about more and more. Soon I expect to know nothing about everything.

Offline Gilgamesh

• Consul
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2009, 08:38:24 pm »
A nice example of L. Saufeius, c. 152 B.C., cr 204/1, 4.06g.

Offline Edessa

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2009, 10:46:02 pm »
My entry would be:

Anonymous, Æ triens, (14.60g) After 211 BC Laureate head of Minerva right, four pellets above. / Prow right, ROMA above, four pellets below. C56/4. VF, brown patina, heavy example. Ex-Goodman collection with his ticket.

Eugene

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2009, 11:30:45 pm »
Some I like:

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2009, 12:15:50 am »
The PLAVTIVS is fantastic! and the rest aren't too shabby either!

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2009, 08:01:51 am »
My entry would be:

Anonymous, Æ triens, (14.60g) After 211 BC Laureate head of Minerva right, four pellets above. / Prow right, ROMA above, four pellets below. C56/4. VF, brown patina, heavy example. Ex-Goodman collection with his ticket.

Dear Edessa

That's a very interesting coin. Because if you look at the coin and compare it with your description of the coin, the two are quite different. Crawford 56/4 has ROMA above the prow, this coin is clearly blank above and has ROMA below. The weight is very heavy indicating it is an early Triens and not for example one of the later small change issues that come in a lot of varieties. I looked closely to see if there is a symbol above the prow, but there is not. I then checked the Goodman catalogue (CNG43-47 which I have bound up in one hardcover volume) and it is not listed, but as about 1/4 of the coins were sold outside the main CNG sales that is not entirely surprising. Now look at the reverse. It has a prominent triangular shaped deck-house. Compare Crawford, plates 11 and 12. Do any coins have such a triangular deck-house? No they don't. Such deckhouses first appear about 195BC, from Crawford issue 133 and later, when the entire coinage underwent a stylistic change. But this coin is too heavy for 195BC! Roman Aes were by that time being struck on a standard about Uncial, which means you would expect a Triens to weigh 9 grams of less. So this coin is a conundrum. I then checked the Kestner-Hannover catalogue; no such coin designs and your coin is also at the very highest weight threshold: Frank Berger lists 34 Trientes, all of standard designs with ROMA above the prow, ranging from 5 to 15 grams in weight. I wondered whether it might be a Crawford 41 Triens, but all those are on a wider flan, with ROMA above and flat deckhouses. Then I realised I have one of the same type myself, illustrated below, lighter in weight, and of a different engraving (photo source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ahala_rome/4105120447 ). But the difference in the feel of the coin tells me they are not from the same decade. Note the thick lines on your prow, the flat profile and dignified expression on Minerva. These are different issues from a different period. The next point on the trail was the "omitted symbol" possibility. Sometimes issues with symbols are known with the symbol missing in error, but can be tracked from other elements of the design. Finally I leafed through Goodman, Hannover and Crawford to see if I could pick a match in style, and with ROMA below the prow and a missing symbol. The closest I could come up with was issues from Crawford 200-219 ie about 150BC, which have the distinctive thick and short prow-stem. Looking back to your coin I see a shadow of a vertical line between the deck house and the prow-stem, and of a horizontal line at the 1pm position on the reverse. This is suggestive of the Mast and Sail series Crawford 213. Except that the mast and sail series has no known Triens.... so I checked Russo, "Unpublished Roman Republican bronze coins" in Essays Hersh. No mast and sail Triens, nor any anonymous Triens of this type. So I've almost reached a dead end, and meanwhile you can be sure you have an enigmatic variety ... but of what? Because I can't think of an As-headed bronze series this should belong. As I don't like being defeated in such quests I will forward the pic. to Richard Shaefer (aka as "Goodman") to seek his view, no doubt he will have an immediate answer, as he has a photographic recollection of coins he has seen before and I am sure any from his collection will ring a bell.

A couple of questions:

- What EXACTLY does the Goodman tag say (assuming your description is a paraphrase of the general Cr56 description, but I'd expect the Goodman tag would not have misdescribed the coin).

- It's naughty of me to ask I know, but I am puzzled how a coin could be your "favourite" and yet you did not seem to have looked at the coin to properly determine it type. Was it a favourite because it looks and feels nice and you aren't too bothered about catalogue matches? Or did you recognise the mis-match and just not have an answer.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2009, 12:22:52 pm »
As I don't like being defeated in such quests I will forward the pic. to Richard Shaefer (aka as "Goodman") to seek his view, no doubt he will have an immediate answer, as he has a photographic recollection of coins he has seen before and I am sure any from his collection will ring a bell.

I consulted Richard Shaefer: He remembers the coin. Richard says that there is a series of as-yet unpublished anonymous Aes, of the same time period as Crawford 56, with triangular deckhouse, and the characteristics that you see in this coin (blank above prow, ROMA below etc). He has identified examples from As down to Sextans so far. Your tag may well say "Cr56", as a hook into the correct period, but that's just to put it in the right timescale. In reality it's part of a rare, very early (consider it's heavy weight) unpublished series of anonymous Republican bronzes.

I wish I had that coin!

cheers

Offline Edessa

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2009, 03:55:24 pm »
Andrew, I did think I would get a response out of you by showing a RR bronze, but you have far exceeded my expectations!  And yes, it is one of my favorite Republicans due to the weight and eye appeal.  I did hesitate to list the coin as Cr56 but could not come up with a better alternative after checking Crawford yet again.  The coin is safely locked away in a safe deposit box, so I did not have ready access to Richard's tag.

I believe you were the one who encouraged us to buy the ex-Goodman lots sold by ORC years ago, so I was just taking your advice... 

Eugene
Eugene

Offline b70

• Praetorian
    • Ab Urbe Condita
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2009, 10:40:50 pm »
Here are a couple of my favorites from my collection. It is really hard to chose a favorite.

Julius Caesar. 44 BC. AR Denarius. L. Aemilius Buca, moneyer.
Obverse: CAESAR D[CT PER]PETVO, laureate head right.
Reverse: L BVCA, winged caduceus and fasces in saltire; axe, globe, and clasped hands in angles.
Crawford 480/6; CRI 103; Sydenham 1063; RSC 25. 18mm - 2.90 g.

Roman Republic, Anonymous . 2nd Century BC . Æ Semis (11.45g).
Obverse- Head of Saturn right, S behind.
Reverse- Prow right, S behind; ROMA in ex.
Sear 834.

Offline commodus

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2009, 01:44:50 am »
Hard to choose a favorite but here's my most recent acquisition. A significant Republican denarius type which I have wanted for many years and now have!

Lucius Hostilius Saserna, 48 BC. AR: Denarius (18mm, 3.61 g, 11h). Rome mint. Head of captive Gallic warrior (Vercingetorix?) right; Gallic shield to left / Two warriors in galloping biga right, one driving and the other holding shield and brandishing spear. Crawford 448/2a; CRI 18; Sydenham 952; Hostilia 2. Near VF, toned, porous, unfortunately has a scuff on reverse. Ex CNG. Much finer in hand than in the photo.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2009, 10:58:46 am »
My problem is I have not just one favourite republican  ;)

Here are some

Offline Minos

• Caesar
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2009, 11:07:14 am »
My problem is I have not just one favourite republican  ;)

And that would be a problem ??? ::) ;D

My problem is that I only got one, wich is my favorite by default :-[ :)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity