Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Medieval, Islamic and Crusader Coins Discussion Forum

The Papal Corner

<< < (61/62) > >>

stlnats:
I'm just getting around to updating my testone gallery, adding a number of coins I've purchased over the last year or so.  I purchased this lower grade M 110 because the die break at 3 o'clock on the reverse is much smaller/earlier than that which appears on the higher grade piece that was already in my gallery (image is from the seller).  While die breaks are quite common on the medals and some of the other states, I don't recall encountering many on the coinage of this era.

quadrans:
Nice piece, congratulation,  +++

Q.

stlnats:
TY Q.  Always fun to come across these small varieties/striking anomalies.

Molinari:
My first Papal item:

Rome, Gregory X (Tebaldo Visconti), 1272-1276 Bulla 1272-1276, PB 38mm., 90.33g. GRЄ/GORIVS/· P P · X’ · in three lines; all within linear-beaded border; (Ω above P P). Rev. S PA S PE Bare heads of Sts. Paul and Peter, facing slightly r. and l., respectively, each within beaded halo; cruciform sceptrr between; all within beaded-linear border. Serafini I 1-2.

This will make for a nice display in the library, especially if I can find a matching document.

stlnats:
Volume VI of CNORP is coming to market.  Covers the medals of 3 popes in the early - mid 17th century.   A bit pricey (ca US$200+ I think) but  is an incredibly researched, well illustrated reference necessary for anyone interested in the medals of the period.  It's in Italian but is easy to use. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version