Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Coin of Pavunius - looking for photos or informations  (Read 336 times)

Offline Bebek2006

• Praetorian
Coin of Pavunius - looking for photos or informations
« on: August 18, 2022, 06:54:27 am »
Hi!
This is my first post here, my name is Karol and I'm from Poland. :)
Some time ago I was reading about coin of usurper Pavunius which was found in excavations at Richborough (there was found a controversial coin of Carausius II too).

Here is report from archeological site, where our Pavunius was discovered.
J. P. Bushe-Fox, F.S.A., Reports of the Research Committee of the Society of Antiquaries of London No. VII. Second Report on the Excavation of the Roman Fort at Richborough, Kent, Oxford 1928, page 226.
Unfortunately photos of his coin are very blurry...

Did You hear somthing more about this usurper, or mayby You saw better photos of his coin?
I will be grateful for any informations.

Best regards,
Karol

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
Re: Coin of Pavunius - looking for photos or informations
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2022, 07:25:36 am »
Hi,

The coin, an AE4,  was re read from as Priamus,  rather than Pavunius, and is possibly imitating the coinage of Lyon in the name of Theodosius I from the 370s or 380s.

The rereading of the coin to Priamus then links it to a passage in Prosper Tiro's Chronicon from the 5th century which,  translated from the Latin reads: "(MagnusMaximus defeated the invading Picts and Scots.  A certain Priamus reigns in France,  as far as we have been able to gather"

Information from Numismatic Chronicle,  1934, page 309.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2022, 07:33:09 am »

Offline Bebek2006

• Praetorian