Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Philip II  (Read 1188 times)

Ognyan A

Philip II
« on: May 24, 2022, 05:10:58 pm »
Hello ,  Recently I saw this Coin . I have seen a lot Philip the 2nds , but never saw such a tetradrachm. First moment I saw it , though it's a Celtic imitation , but after I looked at the reverse I made a conclusion that it must be a original one. What is your opinion, will be happy to hear some information, more .Thank you!

Ognyan A

Re: Philip II
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2022, 05:11:57 pm »

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2022, 05:32:47 pm »
Hi Gnikiv,

I am a moderator of this section of Forum.

Your topic violates 2 Forum rules:

1) It is against the rules to screen a purchase.

2) We are not allowed to discuss prices.

Meepzorp

Ognyan A

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2022, 01:02:24 am »
Okey , I'm sorry , I haven't rod the rules. I did modify it , so if it's still wrong please let me know . Thank you.

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2022, 05:05:18 am »
There are only very few tetradrachms of Philip II with the head of Zeus to left and I didn't find a single one where the rider is riding to right and wearing a kausia (this flat hat).
Especially if you have a look into PELLA you find nothing comparable: http://numismatics.org/pella/results?q=statedAuthority_facet%3A%22Philipp%20II.%20%28Makedonien%29%22%20AND%20deity_facet%3A%22Zeus%22%20AND%20fulltext%3A%22head%20of%20zeus%20to%20left%22
Also the leg of the rider looks a bit strange :-\.

So it is perhaps really a contemporary imitation.

Regards

Altamura

Ognyan A

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2022, 07:42:12 am »
Thank you for your opinion , appreciate it , but I can't agree it is a Celtic imitation , because I have saw hundreds of imitations and double more than this originals ,but I never saw such a beautiful horse, text(filippoy) and monogram on any imitation. Also the test cuts I have saw on imitation are missing or they almost cut the coin on a half . I could believe this is the only piece of its kind (Zeus head on left with horn underneath the horse + the rider is not naked like usual , it is wearing cloths , that is why his leg looks bigger than the naked riders), and that's also why there is no records anywhere. Also the person who have showed me , said it has been found together with 16 more postum Pella's and Anfipolis's pieces , as I know they never been mixed (Imitations with Originals ) , so all facts point to the conclusion , that it must be original. This is my personal opinion and again appreciate your! I also will be happy to see more opinions , so guys please leave them in the replays. Thank you . Kindly regards!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity