Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Claudius as - real?  (Read 877 times)

Offline Marc B3

• Legionary
Claudius as - real?
« on: December 05, 2021, 02:22:01 pm »
Hi all.  I just made a purchase of a Claudius coin.  I researched the dealer and he has a solid reputation.  The reason I am posting it is because I have read that many of these Claudius coins were ancient forgeries.  I wanted to see what you all thought. 

28mm, 11.43 grams

Thanks.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Claudius as - real?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2021, 02:28:49 pm »
Ancient forgeries are still genuine ancient coins.

However, yours seems to me to be an official issue coin, though some of the imitations were very good.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2021, 07:34:11 pm »
Looks good to me--and I really like the portrait!

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2021, 07:45:46 pm »
There were so-called "Barbarous" coins of Claudius, probably from a provincial mint, but yours looks like an official coin to me.

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2021, 09:49:42 pm »
As Shawn indicates,  the ancient imitations were routinely accepted in commerce.  They were likely made with approval by local or regional authorities to fill the need for coins for day to day transactions. They are usually very close to the weight and metal content of official coins.  Since they were essentially tokens, local acceptance was key to using the coins.   It was a long way from Rome to northern Gaul or western Hispania.
  This specimen looks official on the obverse; the reverse less so, but it may have been imaginatively cleaned at some point.
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

Offline Marc B3

• Legionary
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2022, 09:42:58 am »
Hi all.  As an update, I sent this coin to David Sear.  He said that he felt confident that it was from a provincial mint, probably Britain.  This coin was sold to me as minted in Rome.  I like the coin and am fine with it being minted in Britain.  My question is, would that significantly change the value of the coin?  I'm wondering if this is something I should mention to the dealer from whom I bought it.

Thanks,
Marc

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2022, 09:50:39 am »
Assuming that official Rome mint issues are not only of proper style, but also on full-sized, round flans with well centered strikes, then the vast majority of Claudian asses I have seen, or that you see for sale on websites, are not fully official.

This would match what people like Duncan-Jones have written about bronze coin shortages of the time and coin distribution.

So, unless you paid a premium for a specifically Rome mint coin I would not be worried.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline lawrence c

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2022, 08:46:55 pm »
I have a similar Claudius, but it's sestertius size with the rough weight of a dupondius. These reportedly commonly were minted around a number of military camps in the provinces, particularly in Gaul and Britain. Some were countermarked DV, indicating that they were tariffed as dupondii. Even though they were not 'official', they apparently were at least semi-authorized.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity