Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: cleaning coins in bulk. any method?  (Read 1254 times)

Offline Mandelbaum

• Legionary
cleaning coins in bulk. any method?
« on: September 15, 2021, 04:33:34 pm »
hello,
i have been working with coins for several years. i have also cleaned coins but more for fun than for business. now i have the possibility to have many uncleaned coins. they all have sand patina on them. i don't want to be stoned now :-), is there a method how to clean 200-400 (and much more) coins at once?
of course i know it's very time consuming work if you want to get good results, but i can't afford to invest 1 hour per coin and more.
now they've all been in distilled water for 2 weeks.

thank you for your advice and dont kill me for cleaning sand patina coins :-)

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Re: cleaning coins in bulk. any method?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 10:06:45 pm »
The only way to bulk clean coins that I can think of would be to dump them in some kind of acid or a rock tumbler or something.  We can't kill you because we don't know your address, but if you can post photos of individual coins we may be able to give you some opinions as to how badly it will destroy them, or whether you should just leave them as they are.  I can tell you that I have seen a worn but passable rare coin with a lovely black patina turned into an ugly, pitted, utterly worthless lump of metal in no time at all.  It was a coin I gave to a friend and I certainly did want to kill him when I saw what he had done to it.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2021, 08:11:08 am »
Sadly most bulk cleaning involves chemicals.  There are a few large dealer (or middle-men) who apparently know what to do with large scale chemical baths and constant supervision.  Supposedly good results can be had.  But most such attempts, especially by those not "in the know", end in failure - just check out "uncleaned coins" on flea-bay to see the results. 

I don't even know if this type of bulk treatment works for "desert patina" coins.  I have heard that some dealers have used manual labour for cleaning these - paying people in the Middle East where labour is much cheaper. 

What are your coins for?

If for sale I would suggest selling them uncleaned.  I think there is a big market for uncleaned desert patina coins in small lots.  If for yourself then why work on them individually.  The methods posted by others here, including Salem, can work effectively and quickly.  All you are really doing is wetting the coin and rubbing sand/dirt off the highlights.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Mandelbaum

• Legionary
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2021, 03:18:37 pm »
hello,

thank you guys for your answers

i have heard about the method involving chemical substances and constant monitoring. it was also explained to me in detail but when i hear sulphuric acid, i always get scared :-)
the coins i always get are pre-cleaned to make them more tasty :-)
the coins are 80% excellent condition. of course, you could sell them as not cleaned, but "not cleaned" always sounds very cheap in my eyes.  i would like to show my results but as my microscope runs on hdmi, i can't show before and after. or i forget to take pictures with my phone :-)  so, there is photo of my last delivery. please don't shout "don't clean" :-) yes, i know, they are already almost perfect

Offline Mandelbaum

• Legionary
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2021, 03:23:13 pm »
4 weeks ago only 260 pieces

Offline Mandelbaum

• Legionary
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2021, 03:36:18 pm »
working on it now :-)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2021, 04:59:05 pm »
Those coins are already clean.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline SC

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2021, 04:59:20 pm »
So, out of curiosity why do you feel you have to clean these coins?

Personally I feel that vote coin looked better and probably had a higher value before cleaning than after.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Mandelbaum

• Legionary
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2021, 06:11:55 am »
for me personally is cleaned like this more attractive. bu it´s just my opinion

thank you guys

Offline Nathaniel N2

• Consul
  • A Lover of History and Art
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2022, 02:22:35 pm »
hello,

thank you guys for your answers

i have heard about the method involving chemical substances and constant monitoring. it was also explained to me in detail but when i hear sulphuric acid, i always get scared :-)
the coins i always get are pre-cleaned to make them more tasty :-)
the coins are 80% excellent condition. of course, you could sell them as not cleaned, but "not cleaned" always sounds very cheap in my eyes.  i would like to show my results but as my microscope runs on hdmi, i can't show before and after. or i forget to take pictures with my phone :-)  so, there is photo of my last delivery. please don't shout "don't clean" :-) yes, i know, they are already almost perfect

Those desert patinas are stunning. I would pay more for them as they are now rather than cleaning them. If you do want to clean them, don't clean the fields, just clean the high up areas to make the details really shine!
Looking for more underpriced uncleaned coins. Let me know if you find them.

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2022, 03:23:35 pm »
Those are all excellent desert patinas.  Even if you like the results I recommend you wait a year or so because your opinion might change.  You can always “clean” them at a later date but as others have said, they’re already cleaned!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity