Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Please Help Identify & Value These Coins  (Read 1015 times)

William C4

Please Help Identify & Value These Coins
« on: August 27, 2021, 02:16:33 pm »
All,

I received these 5 coins recently from my sister who found them in my Father's coin collection. Our father passed away 12 years ago and left his collection behind.
Can any of you please let me know just exactly where they are from and what their value is?

I am attaching photos of the front and back of the 5 coins.
Thank you in advance!

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Please Help Identify & Value These Coins
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2021, 02:48:05 pm »
Unfortunately they all seem to be fakes  :(.

In the upper row in the middle it is a bad imitation of a decadrachm from Syracuse on Sicily. The genuine ones are made of silver and look like these:
http://numismatics.org/search/results?q=fulltext%3Aquadriga+AND+denomination_facet%3A%2210+drachm+%28decadrachm%29%22+AND+mint_facet%3A%22Syracuse%22+AND+imagesavailable%3Atrue

On the lower left it should be a tetradrachm of lysimachos, again the genuine ones are made of silver:
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?term=lysimachos+tetradrachm&category=1-2&lot=&thesaurus=1&images=1&en=1&de=1&fr=1&it=1&es=1&ot=1&currency=usd&order=0

The lower right imitates something from Syracuse again.

Regards

Altamura

Offline Will A. Hooton

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2021, 01:23:54 am »
I agree with Altamura. No question about it. These are cast copies of copies, usually found in piles at souvenir stalls outside ancient sites. Sorry to the bearer of bad news.
Collecting Roman Imperial, Provincial and Russian Medieval and Imperial coinage.

Offline antoninus1

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2021, 04:07:00 am »
I can add that the copy in the upper left is a well known copy of a follis of Justinian and the one in the upper right a copy of a medallion of Antoninus Pius.

William C4

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2021, 12:37:35 pm »
Thanks for the information - My grandfather built many of the first stand alone Carvel Ice Cream Stores and family owned one since 1951.
May father saved all the silver coins that came through the store and amassed a huge amount of silver dollars, 1/2 dollars, silver quarters, Liberty dimes/etc.

These 5 coins in the photos were found among the silver coins
I took the coins to my local coin shop and owner explained there are many fakes on the market and he felt these were probably fakes but suggested researching to be sure.
So not a huge blow learning from all of you they are fakes but I thought possibly they could be real.'
Appreciate all of your replies.
All the best!

William C4

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2021, 07:47:58 pm »
Thx again!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity