Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A numismatic dimension to the journeys of St. Paul  (Read 3446 times)

Offline Britannicus

• Caesar
    • Eros on Roman Provincial Coinage
A numismatic dimension to the journeys of St. Paul
« on: April 14, 2021, 06:51:34 am »
Members of this board may be interested in the article I've just published in The Numismatist, May 2021 issue, pp. 39-44:
"The Apostles on the Road: Coins and commercial life help explain the journeys of Saint Paul and his fellow early Christian teachers."

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: A numismatic dimension to the journeys of St. Paul
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 07:43:50 am »
Congratulations on the publication.  I was looking into this topic recently so I'm very interested to read your article.  If you haven't read it yet, N.T. Wright's biography of Paul is outstanding, IMO.

Offline Britannicus

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 11:36:58 am »
Thanks! Basically, I'm suggesting that Paul's background in the Tarsian textile trade may have been a factor in the choice of routes and destinations (as well as, for example, the presence of Jewish minority communities and synagogues) - the Apostles targeted a surprising number of places active in the textile industry.

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 12:24:37 pm »
Dear Francis, Nick and Board,

I reviewed Francis' article before it went off to the editor and can vouch for its fresh and insightful perspective on St. Paul.  I was very impressed and highly recommend all numismatists and biblical scholars to sit down and read it.  Readers will also be treated to Francis' delightful writing style.

Way to go, Francis!

Best regard,

Mark Fox
Michigan      

Offline Britannicus

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 12:38:41 pm »
I'm blushing...  :-[

All coins are guaranteed for eternity