Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: First Jewish Revolt Year 2?  (Read 2198 times)

Offline Paul B4

• Consul
First Jewish Revolt Year 2?
« on: August 16, 2020, 12:47:19 pm »
Do these look like two Hendon 1360 prutah to you?

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
Re: First Jewish Revolt Year 2?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 03:28:15 pm »
Yep.

First clue is the lack of a lid on the amphora.  Year three prutot have a lid.

Craig

Offline Paul B4

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 04:20:19 pm »
Thank you, Craig.

Offline Paul B4

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 08:52:56 pm »
I see this coin described as "Masada Coin".  Do you know why?

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 03:26:59 pm »
I am unaware of any direct ties between the coins and Masada itself, other than the strong ties between the Jewish resistance and mass suicide at Masada as opposed to giving the Romans a "victory" there.

If you've never been there, it's an almost surreal feeling as you walk around.  When we were there a few years ago, our guide, Ronen, was former Israeli army (as almost every man and woman is) and as he told us about what took place there, even his voice seemed to crack a little.  Add to that the two Israeli F-16s that streaked overhead at just that moment, and it really sinks in.

Craig

Offline Paul B4

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2020, 07:21:38 am »
It's probably a marketing gimick.
I visit Masada in 2000 and now wish I had 1) spent much more time exploring and 2) had hiked up the mountain.  Next time!
Paul

Offline Paul B4

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2020, 07:23:29 am »
"These coins are called Masada coins because it was there that a large hoard of this type of coins was found during archaeological excavation."  [LINK TO COMMERCIAL SITE REMOVED BY ADMIN]
Weak reason.  Marketing.
Paul

All coins are guaranteed for eternity