Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Coins in Jesus time  (Read 1391 times)

Offline Mauro Coca C

• Praetorian
Coins in Jesus time
« on: June 29, 2020, 05:22:58 pm »
Hello Guys!

Does anyone know, what were the types of coins that were in circulation on Judea in the time of Jesus?

Thanks!

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Coins in Jesus time
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 06:43:28 pm »
Other people know this area better than me and might weight in to correct me.  Also there are several goods books on this area of coinage - my favorite being David Hendin's Guide to Biblical Coinage, 5th edition.

But I will take at a crack at answering.

Your question was phrased very well as they key is what coinage was in circulation.  In the ancient world coins circulated for a long time so a lot of coins in circulation during Jesus' lifetime were struck long before his birth.

Most coins in circulation were small bronze coins - generally known as prutot.

Jesus was born around the time of the death of Herod I (the Great). His coins would obviously have been in circulation.

However, coins of the earlier members of the Hasmonean dynasty, including John Hyrcanus I and Alexander Jannaeus, would have ranged from roughly 40 to a bit over a hundred years old.  These coins, struck in huge numbers, would still have been common-place.

Some worn examples of older bronze Ptolemaic (small ones) and Seleucid coinage were also likely occasionally encountered in the market.

Common coins were struck by the Herodian king Herod Archelaus during Jesus' lifetime.

However, much of Jesus' lifetime occurred during the so-called Roman Governors' period when small bronze coins were struck bearing the names of Roman Emperors, like Tiberius, by governors like Coponius, Marcus Ambibulus, and Valerius Gratus.

At Jesus' death the most recent coins would of course have been those struck by the Governor Pontius Pilate.

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Mauro Coca C

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 07:23:08 pm »

Ptolemaic and seleucidal tetradrachmas;  Roman coins .... wasn't it also?

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 05:06:11 pm »
Coins of the Herods, procuratorial coins up to Pilate, no doubt older prutoth as well.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

All coins are guaranteed for eternity