Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Valerianus PIETAS AVG G minted in Antioch or Samosata ?  (Read 512 times)

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
Valerianus PIETAS AVG G minted in Antioch or Samosata ?
« on: December 15, 2019, 11:45:46 am »
This Valerianus Antoninianus are described by RIC V-I as Antioch mint, but by Göbl this coin minted in Samosata???

088 Valerian I. (253-260 A.D.), RIC V-I 285, Antioch (?), Göbl 1684e (Samosata?), AR-Antoninianus, PIETAS AVG G, #1
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-159176

Any opinion and remarks are appreciated.

088 Valerian I. (253-260 A.D.), RIC V-I 285, Antioch (?), Göbl 1684e (Samosata?), AR-Antoninianus, PIETAS AVG G, #1
avers: IMP C P LIC VALERIANVS P F AVG, Radiate, draped cuirassed bust right.
reverse: PIETAS AVG G, Valerian I. and Gallienus standing, facing each other, sacrificing over the altar in between.
exergue: -/-//--, diameter: 22,0-22,5mm, weight: 4,50g, axis: 0h,
mint: Antioch, date: 255-256 A.D., ref: RIC V-I 285, p-60, C-152, Göbl 1684e Samosata ?,

Regards

Joe/Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline AMICTUS

• Consul
Re: Valerianus PIETAS AVG G minted in Antioch or Samosata ?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2019, 11:31:28 am »
It is, at present, considered that the group of coins  with the two figures reverses, unmarked or with various marks (star, wreath, pointed  wreathPIETAS AVGG, VIRTVS AVGG, RESTITVT ORIENTIS, VOTA ORBIS) is not part of the traditional Antioch production (antoniniani, tetradrachms, bronze) on a basis of style and themes. A. Alföldi (Berytus, IV, 1937), attributed this group to ‘Die Zweite Orientalische Reichmünzstatte’ (second eastern mint) opened in 255. As this group is followed by an abundant coinage for Gallienus sole emperor - after the defeat and capture of Valerian - with more or less the same style, marks, and themes (IOVI CONSERVATORI, ORIENS AVG, VICTORIA AVG, VIRTVS AVG, ROMAE AETERNAE) the localization of this mint  depends principally upon the reading of the military and political events that occured in the region during the period 252-261. In this context a city which has not been captured immediatly after the defeat of Valerianus in 260 could be a good candidate for an imperial mint for that period, even more, if this city is also considered as the headquarters of the roman army at that time : it is the case of Samosata.

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
Re: Valerianus PIETAS AVG G minted in Antioch or Samosata ?
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2019, 03:04:59 pm »
It is interesting, thank you Amictus,

+++

Regards

Joe/Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity