Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Decadrachm on ebay  (Read 2572 times)

Offline kc

• Caesar
Decadrachm on ebay
« on: October 30, 2016, 12:59:52 pm »
Hello,

can this example be authentic? What do you think?

Diameter: 34/35 mm
Weight: 42.1 g

Sold on ebay for 3343,00 Euros.

Best regards,
kc

Offline Joss

• Praetorian
Re: Decadrachm on ebay
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 01:36:26 pm »
Apparently yes, it shares the same dies as several other coins on acsearch, such as this one: https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=748875

We discussed it here: https://tinyurl.com/t2bs62g

What is crazy is that the seller doesn't mention clearly its pedigree (as it would be expected with such a coin); it is just said that it was bought in a "lot" at Drouot (Paris) from the David Szapary-Donadello Collection. If he had sold it at a proper auction, he could made at least ten times more and he certainly did not buy it at that price, so there might be something fishy here.

Offline Sam

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ego vici mundum
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 04:05:12 pm »
Authentic coins should not have this line correct ?
Sam Mansourati

Offline paparoupa

• Parasitica Cliens
  • Consul
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 05:50:35 pm »
@ Sam: I think the photo you marked the line is deceiving, if you look the other photos of the side of the coin, there is no joint.

I post however 2 more photos, the one shows a very convincing coin, the other a side where someone could have tooled to conceal an electrotype. It is too hard to tell without seeing the coin in hand.

@Joss: Don't be surprised by the low price. crapbay is full of deceits. Is could be that someone tries to sell a coin he doesn't have but simply photographed at somebody's cabinet. Or it is just a shil bidder who won it.

There is no santa-claus any more. With the globalisation of the market and internet access you could rarely be lucky enough to get a coin at a bargain price. let alone such a coin that is one of the most known ancient coins.

Offline Sam

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ego vici mundum
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 01:32:21 pm »
My wonder or question was essential and logic , according to the photos provided.
Sam Mansourati

Offline Sam

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ego vici mundum
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 04:35:38 pm »
Here is a fake one might help. Also the line does not go around. ( the coin was cleaned for better photos )
My best to all , paparoupa , Joss , and KC.
Sam Mansourati

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 04:47:31 pm »
It is a cast fake.  Fake coin report please.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 12:28:22 pm »
The sharpness and patination/light corrosion of the piece look very convincing to me. The fact that it is said to have come from a Paris auction of a named collection also speaks in its favor.

I share the doubts of Paparoupa, however, whether the seller actually owned the coin he was offering, or whether he actually sold it for that bargain price.
Curtis Clay

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 01:58:10 pm »
The sharpness and patination/light corrosion of the piece look very convincing to me. The fact that it is said to have come from a Paris auction of a named collection also speaks in its favor.

I share the doubts of Paparoupa, however, whether the seller actually owned the coin he was offering, or whether he actually sold it for that bargain price.

If you go to the ebay link, then on the sellers evalutation you will see that the seller already reveived a positive feedback for this sale, what implies that the buyer already received the coin.
"Parfait, rapide sérieux, à recommander ++++++++++++++"

Offline paparoupa

• Parasitica Cliens
  • Consul
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 02:09:21 pm »

If you go to the ebay link, then on the sellers evalutation you will see that the seller already reveived a positive feedback for this sale, what implies that the buyer already received the coin.
"Parfait, rapide sérieux, à recommander ++++++++++++++"

Yeah for an auction that took place on Sunday the winner already paid and received the coin. Unless the buyer rushed to Paris and paid in cash in a dark alley in exchange for it... Or this is proposed by the seller

Vendu uniquement en France et remise en main propre possible sur Paris.

;D :o :o :o :o :o

Offline Joss

• Praetorian
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2016, 02:39:44 pm »

Brennos, on the French forum, has suggested that it is a cast fake, possibly made in the 19th century by employees of the Cabinet des Médailles in Paris, of this coin: https://tinyurl.com/ut9zf8h

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2016, 02:59:01 pm »
But the Paris piece has considerably more border of dots and flan beyond the border on both sides than the eBay piece. If the latter is a cast, why shave off its edges to make it smaller and less pleasing than the original?

Moreover, the Paris piece seems to be lacking two small sections of the border of dots at 1:30 and 3 o'clock on the Arethusa side. On the eBay coin these sections are intact, and do not look manipulated, thus providing a good argument that the eBay coin is not a cast of the Paris piece.
Curtis Clay

Offline Joss

• Praetorian
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2016, 03:21:07 pm »
I think it is possible to add the missing border dots on the mold. And the edges could have been reduced to hide evidence of casting.  ???

All coins are guaranteed for eternity