Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Coin tray friction and storage.  (Read 12972 times)

Offline Paddy

• Consul
  • Marcus Ulpius Traianus Maior
Coin tray friction and storage.
« on: December 31, 2013, 10:22:35 am »
I store my coins as shown in the attachment. Some say this is harmful to the coins and that it causes "coin tray friction". This apparently happens even if the trays are mostly stationary.

I am not sure what to make of this, should one  only store coins in flips, nothing else?

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: Coin tray friction and storage.
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 10:43:22 am »
As long as you're not carrying these around all the time (like a coin dealer would), you are fine. Coins can wear quite heavily in decades in trays like these, overpriced, unsold and getting more and more overpriced the longer they are unsold. I have a coin here that I'm sure was much nicer before the reverse was worn away, probably on such a tray.

You can put small pieces of plastic underneath the coins, cut from thin plastic foil. Paper is just as bad as this fake velvet.
Andreas Reich

Offline Paddy

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 10:51:26 am »
Does it matter what material the felt is made of.. if it's synthetic or if it's cotton. Does that make a difference? I move my coins from one room to the next and sometimes pick up a coin to look closer at it.

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 11:43:41 am »
Hi Paddy.

The synthetic is supposed to be softer than the wool felt, but both could technically cause damage.  I'm on the verge of switching to trays myself.  To eliminate any risk of wear from the tray or my tickets, my plan is to cut non-PVC flips into the size of the tray openings and use the small non-PVC squares as a shield between the coin and my ticket.  I should be able to turn each flip into 4 shields, so the cost will not be very high.  That's my "plan" anyway. I haven't actually tried it yet to see if it will work.  Some sample trays are currently in the mail to me, and I will report back to let you know if my plan works! 

Let me add that Andreas is certainly right that there will be no friction or damage if the coins are sitting motionless in the trays (assuming there are no chemical compounds in the synthetic felt that could damage the coin surfaces).  We are probably being overly cautious; but better safe than sorry...

Happy New Year!

Offline Sam

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ego vici mundum
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 01:07:50 pm »
I store my coins as shown in the attachment. Some say this is harmful to the coins and that it causes "coin tray friction". This apparently happens even if the trays are mostly stationary.

I am not sure what to make of this, should one  only store coins in flips, nothing else?

Greetings, I store my coins as in photo , it has been 4 years , and they are fine
those are SELF ADHESIVE 2x2 FLIP HOLDERS ( safe for long storage )    they are Not Expensive
Or you can buy long term storage flips from FORVM coin shop
take one flip and cut around , you can make 4   of 2”*2”  square or the size you need to fit you tray
to put one flip square in each tray square
then you can place you coins on tray squares
I tried that too for huge republican coins and they are fine.

Sam
Sam Mansourati

Offline Sam

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ego vici mundum
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 01:13:44 pm »
As long as you're not carrying these around all the time (like a coin dealer would), you are fine. Coins can wear quite heavily in decades in trays like these, overpriced, unsold and getting more and more overpriced the longer they are unsold. I have a coin here that I'm sure was much nicer before the reverse was worn away, probably on such a tray.

You can put small pieces of plastic underneath the coins, cut from thin plastic foil. Paper is just as bad as this fake velvet.

Since , I catch you here  ;), so  Happy Lovely New Year , Dear Areich.

Sam
Sam Mansourati

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 02:46:53 pm »
And the same to you! And everybody else, of course.  :)
Andreas Reich

Offline Sam

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ego vici mundum
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 03:24:44 pm »
And the same to you! And everybody else, of course.  :)

+++  9 hours left in USA  east   ;)

2 hours and 37 min left in Germany ;)

See people can not wait to get older ;D
Sam Mansourati

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 03:37:24 pm »
is it too late to cancel the whole thing?

Offline Sam

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ego vici mundum
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 03:42:46 pm »
is it too late to cancel the whole thing?

Good:)
Sam Mansourati

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, 07:18:19 pm »
I think the distinction to watch for is that sliding trays (drawers in a coin cabinet) will move the coins on their felt every single time the tray is pulled out, whereas lifted out trays in a box won't, unless the box itself is shook about. I've seen photos of coin surfaces being  destroyed by wool felt, really bad damage, so its worth being aware of. However whatever is in abafil tray felt seems to do my coins no harm at all. And I doubt it would be possible to ever damage a worn bronze. FDC silver might be another matter. So, some caution needed but the nature of the trays felt and coins is important.

Offline Paddy

• Consul
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 08:27:18 am »
[LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN] They are free from "softener",  which I assume is the same as free from PVC. But how to store the flips, in a binder perhaps?

Authenticity, real loss of  value of any collection in any really major economical crisis, and now storage dilemma! Cant really relax with anything at all anymore. Why, it's enough to make a cat laugh!

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014, 09:04:32 am »
Just make some plastic squares to put beneath the coins, you'll still have the considerable advantage of being able to touch your coins more easily. If you're storing them in holders or even flips, you'll not handle them as often and thus not get as much enjoyment out of them. Flips in binders are really inconvenient and will raise new problems, like with trapped humidity.
Andreas Reich

Offline Paddy

• Consul
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2014, 10:01:59 am »
Just make some plastic squares to put beneath the coins, you'll still have the considerable advantage of being able to touch your coins more easily. If you're storing them in holders or even flips, you'll not handle them as often and thus not get as much enjoyment out of them. Flips in binders are really inconvenient and will raise new problems, like with trapped humidity.

What kind of plastic exactly? I guess we are talking sheets of plastic to be cut into the size you want, yes?

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2014, 11:02:33 am »
Non-pvc plastic. If you can find it in inexpensive sheets, great. I suggested using non-PVC flips because you can create 4 shields per flip. I think a package of 100 flips is less than $50. Divide the cost by 400 and I think you'll agree the cost is quite low.

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2014, 12:44:32 pm »
Most hobby stores should have sheets of these for some purpose or another.
Andreas Reich

Offline Britannicus

• Consul
  • Sapere aude.
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2014, 03:06:34 am »
I think the distinction to watch for is that sliding trays (drawers in a coin cabinet) will move the coins on their felt every single time the tray is pulled out, whereas lifted out trays in a box won't, unless the box itself is shook about. I've seen photos of coin surfaces being  destroyed by wool felt, really bad damage, so its worth being aware of. However whatever is in abafil tray felt seems to do my coins no harm at all. And I doubt it would be possible to ever damage a worn bronze. FDC silver might be another matter. So, some caution needed but the nature of the trays felt and coins is important.

The material used in Abafil trays appears to be velvet (to the best of my knowledge made of cotton), while some other types of trays are lined with felt (most appear to be wool). Felt will damage the coins, velvet will not. My coins are stored in Abafil trays, some for nearly fourteen years, and in examining them under magnification and comparing them to the original photos, I cannot detect any damage caused by this method of storage.

Andrew's point about lifting the trays rather than pulling them out is a good one, but the coins will nonetheless shift and rotate over time just due to vibrations from the floor caused by walking in the room, opening and closing doors, etc. Even the process of moving the case containing the trays, placing it on a table, lifting the trays out of the case and placing them back inside, securing the latch to the lid of the case, etc. — however gently and carefully done — will cause the coins to move within their trays. Still, my coins have not been harmed by the Abafil trays.

So I recommend Abafil trays. Stay away from anything lined with felt.

Offline paparoupa

• Parasitica Cliens
  • Consul
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2014, 08:06:14 am »
I have abafil cases with red velvet. However the normal trays (not the deep versions of 4cm) are rather shallow for compact tetradrachm flans and I see some of the coins leaving marks on the velvet, so in the end I do not use the case latches as they are forcing the upper trays to squeeze the lower ones and so on. The underneath of the trays have a soft padding covered with black nylon (?) that is touching the surface of some of the coins underneath. I am not sure what to do  ???

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2014, 03:07:50 pm »
Invest in the deep versions for thick - flanned coins. More expensive and double the storage space. Alternatively, don't store the trays in the cases (just use the cases for transport) and keep the thick - flanned coins in the top tray!

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2014, 10:49:13 am »
Reporting back that I received my trays this week and tried my new storage system - coin sitting on non-PVC plastic square atop collection ticket. The system works well. The non-PVC flips cut easily with scissors to make 4 squares each. I showed a partially loaded tray to my wife and she responded "This looks like something you see in a museum!"  I'm pleased.

Offline Paddy

• Consul
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2014, 02:47:21 pm »
I have now bought the flips and have begun to cut them so that they'll fit my coin trays. I've bought these flips from a dealer who says they are free from "softner". I assume this is the same as saying that they are free from PVC. Is there any way that one can check if they are free from PVC?

Offline Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2014, 02:48:28 pm »
I have now bought the flips and have begun to cut them so that they'll fit my coin trays. I've bought these flips from a dealer who says they are free from "softner". I assume this is the same as saying that they are free from PVC. Is there any way that one can check if they are free from PVC?

Smelling them is one way, if it smells like a new shower curtain then they're a no no.
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2014, 03:24:06 pm »
The non-PVC flips are quite stiff and brittle. Like hard plastic vs. soft plastic. It takes a little effort to fold them well and, even then, they don't stay folded! The flips that dealers use are very soft, malleable and rubbery by comparison.

Offline chuy1530

• Praetorian
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2014, 03:26:44 pm »
I have the archival-safe coin flips cut in half with the info-tag in it between my coins and tray surface. Hopefully that plus rarely moving them around will keep them safe. If you don't keep the info tags with them I suppose you could cut each flip into 4.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity