Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman influence on coinage  (Read 1536 times)

Offline ROMA

• Caesar
Roman influence on coinage
« on: August 14, 2007, 05:19:49 pm »
Obviously due to the scope and size of the Roman empire it has influenced coins and monetary systems of much of the world to this day. I'm not very familier with post Rome coinage but this one caught my eye. In fact at first glance I thought i almost was looking at a Roman imperial coin. From the laureate cuirassed bust of the king, to the latin inscriptions, to the personification of Brittania on the reverse, this is a very Roman coin, just struck 1200 years after the fall of the Western Roman Empire. Pretty cool. Was England the only country pre-18th century to strike coins so similar to Roman imperial coins?
CHARLES II, (1660-1685),
Adversus solem ne loquitor

Offline ROMA

• Caesar
Re: Roman influence on coinage
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 07:47:08 pm »
Thanks for the reply, I wasnt aware of the Brazilian coin. It seems that a lot of the coins of the medieval period have a similer feel to them. Once you get into the 18nth century and beyond the old Roman style seems to creep into coinage again. Interesting that it was abandoned for so long.
Adversus solem ne loquitor

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 10:28:10 am »
It seems to come back with the advent of milled coinage, at least in the UK.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline mestreaudi

• Legionary
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 11:36:24 pm »
Your welcome ROMA! :)

By the way, what seems to be a "milled coinage"?
I couldnĀ“t find any definitions for this!

Offline Sap

• Consul
  • It's already tomorrow in Australia.
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 03:10:47 am »
"Milled coinage" - struck by machine, such as a water mill or screw press, rather than hammered by hand.

There are plenty of coins worldwide where the Roman model is emulated. Certainly the concept of the side-view portrait of the reigning monarch in regal pose (often wearing a laurel wreath), surrounded by the monarch's titles, is widespread throughout the coinage of Europe.

The gold "augustale" or "augustalis" shows clear evidence of Roman inspiration even in mediaeval times; apart from the lettering, these coins "look Roman". Obviously Holy Roman Emperor Frederick II, on seeing some ancient Roman coins, told his mint workers in Sicily to go and do likewise.

Here's an example in the Kunsthistorisches Museum Vienna:
http://www.khm.at/system2E.html?/staticE/page631.html
I'll have to learn Latin someday.

Offline mestreaudi

• Legionary
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 09:49:22 am »
"Milled coinage" - struck by machine, such as a water mill or screw press, rather than hammered by hand.

Thanks Sap!

There are plenty of coins worldwide where the Roman model is emulated. Certainly the concept of the side-view portrait of the reigning monarch in regal pose (often wearing a laurel wreath), surrounded by the monarch's titles, is widespread throughout the coinage of Europe.

Agreed!! :)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity