Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: The difference between wear and a soft strike?  (Read 2457 times)

Offline awl

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
The difference between wear and a soft strike?
« on: May 03, 2007, 07:42:46 pm »
I was just looking through a coin catalog and coins with similar wear are sometimes listed a a soft strike or just wear. Is there a way to distinguish the two? or are they the same thing and "soft strike" is just a euphemism for wear?

Mark Farrell

Re: The difference between wear and a soft strike?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 10:25:36 pm »
This is my understanding, and I welcome input and corrections!

A coin wears from the highpoints, down. If you rub your finger over a coin, it will hit the top of the rim, top of most of the letters in the legend (unless they are "protected" by a higher spot that is fairly close, e.g., the crown of a head on the obv sheltering that portion of the legend), the highpoints on the bust, etc.

You finger will not hit anything but the high points, or at least within a reasonable distance to them (your finger, of course, is a bit malleable, so it could "wrap around" a letter in the legend a little bit, so it is technically affecting a bit more than the high point).

A weak, or soft strike, be it truly a soft strike or just worn dies, tends to affect all the detail on the coin, not just in the highpoints.

So, imagine a worn coin in profile. On a well-struck coin with fresh dies, the letters raise from the flat surface at a potentially sharp (near 90 deg) angle and are slowly degraded by contact. A soft strike can sort of "soften" the angle between the letter and the flan around it, sort of "rounding the corner" of that angle, if you will.

I imagine that telling the difference between wear and soft or weak strike takes a gob of experience. I tend to look to see if detail that would not be explained by wear is somewhat missing (e.g., the metal from the flan did not completely fill the die) and if so, then it is probably a weak strike.

At least, that is what I believe to be true, and I hope more experienced folks can confirm or correct what is at this point my opinion regarding the difference!

Mark

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 11:57:32 pm »
And a WEAK strike can also be a FLAT strike, in that the blow was insufficient to force enough metal into the intaglio to fill the parts meant to be in highest relief (often a cheek or a brow).  Pat L.

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 01:54:47 am »
Here is an illustration of a flat strike on a 4th c. coin of a mint where flat strikes are hard to avoid:
• 05 I 00  AR staterSide, PamphyliaObv. Athena stg facing l., with Nike on her r. hand, l. hand (with spear) resting behind shield, of which the boss is a gorgoneion or satyr mask (in profile).  In field, at left, pomegranate.  Rev. Apollo (?) to l.,  in knee-length chiton, with branch, before burning altar.
Pat L.

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 05:34:26 pm »
This is a very good example of a flat strike, with the details of the die not completely filled. Here's a good example of worn dies. As Mark pointed out very well, on a worn coin, it's mostly the high spots that are affected; in case of a worn die, the transitions from the field to devices lose their sharpness. You can, of course, see it best by comparison. This Galerius antoninianus has an absolutely fresh and crisp obv. die, a badly worn rev. die, and no wear at all, which can be seen by the way the ear is clearly defined against the rim of the radiate crown.

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 06:13:38 pm »
It is not just earlier coins that are affected by flat strikes.  I find that flat strikes are also quite common with the late 4th century AE2 REPARATIO REIPVB issued by Gratian, Theodosius I and Magnus Maximus.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 12:43:28 pm »
That sure looks like corrosion to me.  Doesn't mean that the reverse side strike was not bad once too, but the poor state now is corrosion and to some extend cleaning.  Bad strike alone would be much cleaner.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline mestreaudi

• Legionary
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 01:41:42 pm »
Thank you Shawn!
It seems totally plausible to me! ;)

Offline Johnny

• Conservator Princeps, Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 03:43:07 pm »
This one is still in cleaning,  but has a very deep full strike compared to the worn ones I have

been playing with dies, and a few factors I came across were the depth of the dies,  the temperature of the metal ( coin ) , the strenght of the strike and of course worn dies,  anyone of these could contribute to a soft strike,  I assume that after hammering all day, a persons strikes would become weaker,   well  except for me  with the monster arms like Arnold  :)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity