Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Coin size  (Read 1667 times)

Offline silvernut

• Caesar
Coin size
« on: April 11, 2007, 04:59:37 am »
Okay, just because it says that no question is too basic...

I'm stuck here: how do you measure the diameter of an irregular coin? I mean, when someone says 20mm, is that maximum diameter, minimum or none of the above?... Sorry, I know it sounds quite trivial, but I like to include size and weight in my database.

Thanks!! Regards,
Ignasi

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: Coin size
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 05:01:28 am »
You usually measure the largest diameter and if it's really irregular you say e.g. 17x24mm.

The attached coin is 17x22mm

Andreas
Andreas Reich

Offline silvernut

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 08:17:45 am »
Thanks, Andreas. I'll do it like that, then.

Regards,
Ignasi

Offline awl

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 12:56:24 pm »
If it isn't as irregular as areich's coin, but still not perfect, it is accepted to measure just the longest side.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity