Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Denarii  (Read 1715 times)

Offline Raymond

• Consul
  • I want to be a coinnoisseur
Denarii
« on: March 30, 2007, 01:40:48 pm »
1) what's a limes Denarius?
2) what's a double Denarius?
Looked in Numiswiki: nada.
Thanks
Raymond

ADMIN UPDATE: Limes denarius and double denarius have been added to NumisWiki. Click on the blue text to go to NumisWiki.
Raymond
(Tetricus is not a game)

Offline Tiathena

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit
Re: Denarii
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 02:26:08 pm »

To my best understanding, a ‘Limes denarius’ is an Æ (base metal) denarius.
  I once found reference to some brief but very interesting remarks pertaining to them through a Post of a fellow FORVM member – which are at Beast Coins.

To cite & copy:

“These enigmatic little pieces belong to a group of coins referred to as limes denarii, limes falsa or AE denarii.  There are numerous theories as to their purpose.  Some believe they were minted in the outskirts of the Roman Empire to circulate there.  Some contend they are non-Roman imitative (barbarous) types.  One theory I have is they were made for the soldiers defending the outer regions of the empire, paid to them in lieu of silver, in the event the territory was lost.  This would not have not enriched an enemy victor of a lost region with silver or gold.  With my theory, these AE pieces could, if a soldier returned to a main part of the empire in retirement or if an area was forfeited, could in turn be redeemed for equivalent AR denarii, just as US soldiers used scrip during foreign wars.  We will probably never know their purpose, but they can be found in excellent condition and are very collectable.”

Link may be viewed here.  (ca. ¼ of the way down from top).

Best,
   Tia

Facilius per partes in cognitionem totius adducimur.  ~ Seneca
My Gallery

Offline Raymond

• Consul
  • I want to be a coinnoisseur
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 03:05:46 pm »
thank you very much for the link.  I like the idea of the limes being used as script.
Raymond
Raymond
(Tetricus is not a game)

Offline GMoneti

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 03:37:32 pm »
The double denarius is known as the antoninianus, after Caracalla who introduced it in 215, although it's not certain what was the exact name used by the Romans then.  The AR antoniniani are larger than the denarii and valued twice as much, however they contain only one and a half times the silver (sweet deal for the imperial authorities changing the circulation of silver coins).  The antoninianus was gradually debased to an AE coin.

The double denarii (antoniniani) are also recognizable by the radiate crown of the emperor, or crescent under the bust if it is an empress.

Georgi

All coins are guaranteed for eternity