Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Play the Game!  (Read 1733 times)

mikepellerin

Play the Game!
« on: July 03, 2006, 03:47:06 am »
Before the Internet, The FORVM and WildWinds, I only had old Mail-Bid Catalogs to rely upon for coin ID's. I could never afford any of the RIC's, and my local Library would only order and hold them a few days. I finally got a Van Meter, and even though it was new back then, it was still lacking in the "visual" department.

So I began playing an ID game when my new Catalogs would come in. Without looking at the attributions I tried to see if I could ID the coins by portrait. After a successful ID I would cross-ref with my Van Meter to make sure the attribution was correct  (like Stephen M. Huston, Wayne G. Sayles or Pegasi Coins would be wrong!).

I got pretty good at it.

Now here's my current game. Everytime The FORVM loads a new page it seems to put a new collection at the top and bottom of the page. Before I cursor over them, I try to see what I can identify first. Try it for a few weeks...you'll be surprised at what you learn even from the series/coins you don't specialize in!

:<a href='../numiswiki/view.asp?key=wreath' target='_blank'>wreath</a>3dot: Mike  :<a href='../numiswiki/view.asp?key=wreath' target='_blank'>wreath</a>3dot:

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: Play the Game!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 01:19:14 pm »
Hi Mike,  That's an interesting game you play.  I too have found that comparing portraits is the best initial step in identifying coins.  With Roman coins, I'll flip through a reference or catalogue, and once I find a portrait that is very similar, I'll begin my online search to narrow down the attribution.  I've had enormous success identifying coins this way. 

-Nich

All coins are guaranteed for eternity