Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Manifest continuity: Pontianus to Agrippa  (Read 15695 times)

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Re: Manifest continuity: Pontianus to Agrippa
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2008, 08:50:34 pm »
Yes, you have my reverse 68 and obverse B = Pick AMNG I, 1, no. 1713, and now that Varbanov's out in English it is his (mislabeled) p. 283, no. 3355: that is, as Pick said, Nike behind Macrinus in the chariot (Diadumenian didn't have wings).  This coin, once rare, has become no more than scarce.  But it's a great coin, nonetheless.  See the discussion of the victory that might or might not be celebrated here and, even more so, the relationship of this Macrinus reverse to that of Caracalla.
Pat L.

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Re: Manifest continuity: Pontianus to Agrippa
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2008, 02:52:54 pm »
Oops!  I didn't look on p. 2.

Bamba: I am sorry that I failed to see this and reply.  I think this is Varbanov 2676 Bulg. edition, the one that Archivum posted above in Reply #6 (below).  That seems certain for the reverse die; a lot is missing from your obverse.
On my webpage, https://www.forumancientcoins.com/ayiyoryitika/PontianusAgrippaDies.html , it will be obverse B, and, for the best comparison with yours the specimen reverse 68x.
Pat L.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity