Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Kanishka I with Orlagno - fake?  (Read 418 times)

Offline Orpio

• Consul
Kanishka I with Orlagno - fake?
« on: August 23, 2022, 09:12:35 am »
Hi,
could you help find any reference to below coin:
Kanishka I
bronze 3,52 g / 20 mm
on the averse: þAONANOþAO KA ... NηþKI KOþANO
on the reverse: OPΛAΓNO, tamgha at right.
I know that such coins are in gold but have never seen the coin in bronze. Long description on the averse probably means that is early minting of Kanishka reign.
My doubt is very small weight as unit or 1/2 unit. Maybe is 1/4 unit - weight is similar. Could you help me with any reference to this coin (maybe it is modern forgery)?

I will be grateful for any comments.

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
Re: Kanishka I with Orlagno - fake?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2022, 10:47:16 am »
Whitehead in his work on the coins in Punjab museum (available on archive.org), which I use quite a lot, mentions this rev. legend as a stater (type vi) on p. 194, but at the bottom of that page he writes
Rare types (iv), (vi) and (xi) are much forged.

So I would say that this is an old forgery. Not necessarily modern. Whitehead wrote the catalogue in 1914, and he knew about forgeries even then. Perhaps the yellowish colour on the reverse was a colouring intending to fool one into believing it was gold.

Interesting ! I hope it's OK that I just added it to the Kanishka page on wildwinds. (as "BMC 29 ancient forgery")

Offline Orpio

• Consul
Re: Kanishka I with Orlagno - fake?
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2022, 04:55:16 am »
Thanks for your reply.

I agree that it is probably fake maybe with ancient time, but is interesting  one, and was quite cheap8)

I saw your update on wildwinds, it nice. I have some other curious example coin of Kanishka, send you by email.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity