Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Greek Coins Discussion Forum

I do not believe grading

(1/4) > >>

cicerokid:
Lot 4269. ATTICA. Athens. AR Tetradrachm (16.96 gms), Leukios and Antikrates, magistrates, 72/1 B.C. NGC EF, Strike: 5/5 Surface: 2/5. Light Scratches.
HGC-4, 1602; Thompson-1227a.1 (possibly this coin cited). New Style coinage. Obverse: Helmeted head of Athena right; Reverse: Owl, with head facing, standing right on overturned amphora; to right, Demeter and Artemis standing; uncertain letter on amphora, ΔI below; all within wreath. Very attractively struck and having only faint traces of wear, this piece is a charming example of the popular type, regardless of some scratches on the surfaces. Thompson mentions 1227a.1 as encountered in "commerce 1955." Given Salton's activity in the business at the time, this well could be that example.

From the Mark and Lottie Salton Collection

This very rare very late post Sullan New Style  was too rich for me. How on earth can it be EF 5/5 strike surface 2/5 light scratches. To my mind it originally Could have been gleaming when first minted but it quite obviously

from heavily worn used dies the surface of the coin as minted cannot be ascertained cos it's had a lot of handling after minting. So how on earth has it been graded as above... I would grade is as good-very fine. Not a chance EF. To me it seems take it to a graded have it entombed in plastic that will slot in with your Mikey Mantel Baseball cards and your entombed  Babe Ruth autographed autobiography as originally hand-written.

I kid you not it's a scam.

Luckily my leven later Diokles post Sullan New Style only cost me £165 via ebay. And I would grade it Strike 2/5 Surface 3/5 Good fine-very fine

Ron C2:
Hopefully I am not stirring a hornet's nest here, but I am not particularly convinced NGC grades ancients consistently. This is perhaps because every hand struck coin is unique, allowing room for bias, interpretation, etc. 

With modern coins, there are undeniably perfect examples to compare to, but even then, people will de-slab coins and re-submit them until they get a grade they agree with. With ancients, I think it's even more subjective.

cicerokid:
Now , Now Ron..........your skepticism might not be popular. I wonder is there a explanation of the coin in question so we can see where their grading decisions come from>

Ron C2:
I just bought a slabbed septimius ric 34 graded XF that at best is an aVFin my opinion. So to each his own.

cicerokid:
Sorry Ron I don't believe where's your picture!!!

Anyway It's not the coin they're grading but the bit of plastic and the sticker!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version