Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: The Celator magazine  (Read 23660 times)

Offline aramnave

• Praetorian
The Celator magazine
« on: April 07, 2013, 03:37:50 pm »
Does anyone have an update on if and when The Celator will resume publishing or shipping?  Has anyone received any issues this calendar year?
At the New York show the publisher, Kerry W. indicated that the magazine would be posting shortly but that was three months ago and I at least have not received anything.
Thanks for any insight that can be offered.

Offline bpmurphy

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: The Celator magazine
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 03:46:31 pm »
Spoke to Kerry Thursday and he asked me for my final copy of an add I'm running in the next issue for Triskeles Auctions. He said it will be at the printers before the Chicago international in 2 weeks.

Barry Murphy

Offline Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 04:14:35 pm »
Spoke to Kerry Thursday and he asked me for my final copy of an add I'm running in the next issue for Triskeles Auctions. He said it will be at the printers before the Chicago international in 2 weeks.

Barry Murphy

Thats some good news +++
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline mix_val

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 07:00:02 am »
 +++ +++
Bob Crutchley
My gallery of the coins of Severus Alexander and his family
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=16147

Offline aramnave

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 12:21:50 am »
Update:

May 26.  I have yet to receive an issue since the last post.  Has anyone here received one or heard more news?

Offline ancientdave

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 12:23:33 pm »
aramnave,

Look here for the latest info we have:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=77629.0

Offline Curtis JJ

• Caesar
    • CONSERVATORI: Ancient Coins & Their Provenances
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 04:31:05 pm »
^ Glad to see at least some encouraging news in there. I wasn't aware that it had continued issuing so recently. It's a worthy enough venture that, if not on too slim a budget, seems to me worth supporting.
“Collect the collectors…” John W Adams’ advice to J Orosz (Asylum 38, 2: p51)

Galleries https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=27154

Offline bpmurphy

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 01:07:27 pm »
The Celator Magazine

After more than 25 years, the publication of The Celator Magazine has come to an end. Due to some health issues, Kerry can no longer manage the publication of a monthly magazine. He was hoping to have at least one more issue but at this point he is unable to continue. Kerry would like to extend a warm, heartfelt thank you to all of his subscribers for their patience and understanding over the last year and to the many of you who sent him your prayers and wishes for a speedy recovery. Kerry's condition is not life threatening, but it severely hinders his ability to work at a computer, which makes the publication of a magazine impossible. I would like to say thank you to Kerry for his tireless efforts over the last 13 years in producing The Celator and I wish him a full and quick recovery and good luck in the future.

Kerry's brother Kerby has been helping him recently with emails, so many of you may have received a reply from Kerby. If you would like to send a note to Kerry, you can also send them directly to me at bpmurphy@vcoins.com and I will see that he receives them.

On a similar note, Kerry has informed me that he is considering offers to buy The Celator Magazine. Kerry doesn't want the magazine to go to just anyone. A strong background in numismatics, graphic design and layout are a must. If anyone has an interest in taking over the magazine, you can send me your name and contact information and I will see that Kerry gets it.

Barry Murphy

Offline Tom Mullally

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 01:13:57 pm »
That's unfortunate.  When I spoke to him last, he was quite upbeat and hopeful that the Celator would return soon.  I'm very sorry to hear that his health is not allowing him to continue.  I wish him only the best.

Tom
Tom Mullally

Classical Numismatic Group

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 01:18:55 pm »
Very sad news.  I hope someone buys it and starts publishing again.  I'll resubscribe.

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
    • Cape Coral Real Estate FL
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 02:34:12 pm »
I hate to sound mean though the money is not important just the principal is he offering a refund on monies sent for a subscription as I know I paid for 2 years and got about 4 issues out of it.
It's a shame to see it go.

If not its not a big deal but a little surprised no one mentioned it here.
Highest Rated Zillow agent in the County

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 05:22:02 pm »
I hate to sound mean though the money is not important just the principal is he offering a refund on monies sent for a subscription as I know I paid for 2 years and got about 4 issues out of it.
It's a shame to see it go.

If not its not a big deal but a little surprised no one mentioned it here.

Maybe you'll get a refund if you ask or maybe he is planning on making good on refunds in general.  I'm not going to ask.  He must be in pretty bad shape if he's giving up on the Celator.

I wonder, what price range is a journal like this?  Thousands, tens of thousands, even higher?

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 05:41:57 pm »
I'd first like to sympathise with Kerry; it was already disclosed to us on Forvm some time back, with Kerry's permission, that a stroke or similar was the issue. I suffered a very serious stroke a few years back and never recovered and have been unable ever to resume paid employment (hence I spend a lot of time bugging you guys on Forvm). So I do feel for Kerry, and fully understand that even when outwardly ok (able to converse etc), it's another step higher to producing a tangible product.

I wonder, what price range is a journal like this? 

I'd imagine a lower range though I might be wrong about the intellectual property values. There's no cashflow from the magazine at the moment, or for a long time, and if restored in the same format it's tough to imagine there's much there either. If there was, other magazines would have taken over the space, or perhaps they are already taking over (I now subscribe to the UK's Coin World, which does ancients too). The value probably is in the contact list of advertisers and subscribers; even the latter may be limited by it being a physical magazine rather than email, and the former are all digital. There's some value in old articles, but as we see with Minerva putting them all for free online, any article has its sell by date. One could imagine an energetic restoration of some combined web/paper format, perhaps combined with an existing platform, but the main energy would be by the new developers which suggests the cash value to purchase the rights may be limited. So, if you are thinking of making a bid, go for it!

Offline bpmurphy

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 06:23:30 pm »
When I talk to Kerry next, I'll ask him about refunds. I don't know what the general policy is for magazines that go out of business so I won't speculate. I know I'm not asking for one and I had just renewed for 2 years. It's not enough for me to worry about.

Concerning value, the magazine business is a dyeing business. Even the big magazines are struggling. Printing and postage costs have gotten too high and advertisers aren't willing to advertise in print format like they used to. I don't think The Celator made much in the last few years as the increased expenses ate away at what little profit there was. The Celator's subscription base was only about 2000 subscribers so I don't know what value the mail list would have in terms of new names. If someone is seriously interested in buying the Celator let me know and I will forward Kerry the info and he will discuss it with you directly. I don't know if there are any assets and I don't know the actual cash flow, so guessing at a value isn't possible and I'm not going to speculate as to what sort of value Kerry puts on the company.

Barry Murphy

Offline Kamnaskires

• Caesar
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2013, 09:40:45 pm »
Last month I asked for, and received, a refund for my two-year subscription.  I dealt with Kerby (Kerry's brother), who was very helpful.

Like everyone here I wish Kerry well and am grateful for years of enjoyable reading.  I am glad I saved all of my copies.  I expect I will be rereading them from cover to cover for years ahead, even long after the URL's written up in Barry and Beasley's "The Internet Connection" have gone inactive.

Offline Joe Geranio

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Joe and Caligula at the Getty
    • Julio Claudian Coins and Art
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2013, 05:08:44 pm »
I have to say thanks to the Celator for years of great stuff!!  Its too bad the internet has swallowed some things up, it was and is a valuable resource.  Celator will be missed.

Joe   
CCAESAR

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2013, 06:30:38 pm »
Thinking on it a couple of days, perhaps it may be worthwhile Kerry's family to contact one of the glossy coin magazines (the Numismatist, and/or Coin World, perhaps both, for the US and Europe) and ask whether they would be interested to fulfil part or all of remainder subscriptions with copies of their own magazines, in return for which the glossy mag(s) get 2000 new likely subscribers, and the entire contact list, advert list etc., as well as the ability to use the Celator name inside their own glossy; the subscribers are happy at getting some coin magazine rather than none, Kerry exits with happy subscribers and no further obligations whilst keeping pre-paid sub amounts, and the other mags get to ramp up their subscription base substantially at a small incremental cost of mailing out some free issues, perhaps making sure to have an ancients column each month. Just a thought.

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2013, 07:18:56 am »
Not only that but Kerry must have had several articles in the pipeline for future issues.  Those could possibly go to another magazine too for publishing.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Vitruvius

• Consul
  • Learn from the past to build our future.
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2016, 06:38:16 pm »
Has anyone heard if someone purchased the Celator magazine?  The last I heard Kerry had stopped publication and was considering selling it. Just curious if anyone did.

I'm mainly asking because this magazine was my all time favorite. I always looked forward to reading the articles and it was a great research tool. Since it ceased publication, I have yet to see another publication that fills the void. Can anyone recommend any other ancient coin magazines?  I know a few of the modern coin magazines have small sections for ancients where occasionally snippets are published, but it's obviously not the same as a publication devoted to our favorite hobby.

What do our fellow members feel about the fate of the Celator?  Would anyone like to see such a magazine in the near future, be it digital or hard copy?

Offline Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2016, 06:41:48 pm »

What do our fellow members feel about the fate of the Celator?  Would anyone like to see such a magazine in the near future, be it digital or hard copy?

I wish it was still around. Numismatist magazine is OK but doesn't fill the void left by Celator. I would love to see another ancient magazine surface.

I would think digital would be cheaper.
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2016, 07:57:15 pm »
I truly looked forward to receiving The Celator every month.  Its absence has left a great void in the sharing of knowledge and research in the ancients collecting arena.

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2016, 12:33:37 am »
I recently bought an entire run of the Celator;D

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2016, 10:07:27 am »
Magazines in general not just coin magazines have had a hard time in the last decade.  I stopped reading the Celator long before it ceased publication I believe because the place in my life it once occupied (beginning when it was newspaper format) had been supplanted by online activities including Forvm, several discussion groups (Numism-L and later) and websites including my own.  The Celator was not cheap largely due to postage.  I assume most articles were donated (I never even received a free subscription for my articles but Wayne did send a couple extras of the issues my pieces were in). 

Today the free online material is a hundred times greater than it was when I bailed on the Celator.  I can find articles on subjects of interest to me by searching Google more easily than I ever could using indices of back issues.  What would a 2016 magazine be able to do that would make me want to pay postage let alone production costs?  Much of the online material is paid for by sellers of coins who have much to gain out of promoting the hobby in general.  Beginners who collect $20 bronzes today will provide a later generation of high end collectors and employees/owners of the big name houses.  A paper magazine would be read by a small fraction of the target market (well to do buyers in 2050?) compared to those reached online by so much free material. 

Certainly some of us would support any paper or electronic effort and wish well those willing to put a lot of work into it.  However I see it as a huge amount of work (judging from my experience when I was updating my web page weekly from 1997-2003).  I do not see it as a golden egg waiting to be harvested.   It would require someone who probably could make a success in several other ways to apply Herculean effort for the cause and the 'good' of the hobby.  It will be interesting to see what volunteers come forward. 

Offline ancientdave

• Caesar
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2016, 08:47:09 pm »
Has anyone heard if someone purchased the Celator magazine?  The last I heard Kerry had stopped publication and was considering selling it. Just curious if anyone did.

I'm mainly asking because this magazine was my all time favorite. I always looked forward to reading the articles and it was a great research tool. Since it ceased publication, I have yet to see another publication that fills the void. Can anyone recommend any other ancient coin magazines?  I know a few of the modern coin magazines have small sections for ancients where occasionally snippets are published, but it's obviously not the same as a publication devoted to our favorite hobby.

I miss The Celator very much as well, it was always a joy to receive in the mailbox. It's not the same, but I have been filling that void somewhat by picking up issues of the magazine Minerva (Fantastic UK magazine on archaeology, with some decent coin related content) for awhile now. I find Minerva at my local Barnes & Noble, but it is an obscure magazine and I'm always worried they'll stop carrying it. But I cannot recommend Minerva highly enough, it is very well done.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2016, 10:25:49 am »

I don't think there is a market for such a magazine any more. There's no digital market, as with so much free information on ancient coins, I doubt anyone would pay for it. And there's no print market either. The mass-market print market today is fulfilled by either glossy magazines such as Coin World (which runs one or two ancient articles per issue), or by glossy society journals such as the ANS quarterly, or the ANA numismatist (likewise in both cases), or Minerva (ditto). Each of these has articles rather like the Celator used to run, except fewer of them. Italy still has a Celator-like print magazine (Panorama Numismatica) with mid-brow articles devoted to ancients, but that's a special case with widespread interest and many people writing articles. At the upper level, the academic journals do fine. Much of the Celator like content can now be found free on the web, so people are paying for glossies with wider circulation only, which really allows for just a couple of articles on ancients per issue as that wide circulation can only be procured by also selling many copies to collectors of modern coins. So, there'll never be a Celator or any other equivalent English language publication again in my view. The main remaining asset in the Celator is I think it's back articles, groups of which would merit publication in book format, or on a case by case basis abridged versions in a glossy such as Coin World, and it's distribution list details, though the latter quickly goes out of date.

Offline Vitruvius

• Consul
  • Learn from the past to build our future.
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2016, 09:46:52 pm »

Offline Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2016, 12:39:44 am »
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2016, 12:41:06 am »

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2016, 07:01:54 am »

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2016, 07:37:26 am »
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2016, 09:49:02 am »

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2016, 10:11:52 am »
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Severus_Alexander

• Procurator Monetae
  • Praetorian
  • Hail Hail Severus Alexander!!
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2021, 06:35:12 pm »

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2021, 09:32:35 am »
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2021, 09:49:00 am »
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2021, 01:18:02 am »

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2021, 07:40:17 am »
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2021, 08:22:43 am »

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2021, 01:23:48 pm »
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2021, 01:39:31 pm »

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2021, 02:20:01 pm »

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2021, 02:22:24 pm »
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2021, 02:28:39 pm »

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2021, 04:42:20 pm »

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2021, 05:04:17 pm »
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2021, 06:11:36 pm »

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2021, 06:24:30 pm »

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2021, 06:31:01 pm »

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2021, 06:58:57 pm »
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2021, 07:03:46 pm »
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2021, 07:32:24 pm »

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2021, 08:02:27 pm »

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2021, 08:53:36 pm »

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2021, 09:08:01 pm »
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2021, 09:47:50 pm »
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2021, 11:01:02 pm »

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2021, 07:43:39 am »
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2021, 07:45:47 am »

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2021, 08:17:12 am »

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2021, 09:52:21 am »
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2021, 09:56:03 am »

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2021, 11:15:22 am »
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2021, 01:45:51 pm »

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2021, 02:41:08 pm »
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2021, 03:29:32 pm »

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2021, 03:30:42 pm »

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2021, 03:33:41 pm »

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2021, 04:02:41 pm »
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2021, 04:11:37 pm »
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC