Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Bulk Coin Discoveries  (Read 923 times)

Offline VOTman

• Praetorian
Bulk Coin Discoveries
« on: August 02, 2021, 09:10:55 am »
Here’s my happy results from a recent low-cost auction win of a bulk lot of 41 Roman provincial bronzes.  The bracketed numbers below are from ERIC II’s “Comparative Rarity Table”.

- Emperor Voulsian:  9 coins, most are the same type but one is identified as “rare” (#79).
 - Emperor Aemilian:  (#126).
 - Emperor Elagabalus:  identified as “scarce”.
 - Augustus:  dated 25BC putting it at the very beginning of the Empire.
 - Claudius II:  a double-Sestertius.
 - Augustus: a 3 portrait coin (full double portrait on one side and a single on the other).
 - Anastasius (Byzantine):  (#102).
 - Vespasian:  with up-side-down legends on both sides, never had one before.
 - Julia Paula:  a sestertius with the reverse showing Empress Paula holding hands with her husband Emperor Elagabalus (#119).

That’s 17 interesting coins out of 41.  To be fair most coins are in quite worn condition as such I could not identify 8 of them…, and of course I’ve had other bulk lots that were disappointing.  But this one wasn’t!

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Bulk Coin Discoveries
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2021, 10:42:16 am »
Might your Julia Paula be an As rather than a sestertius? What does it weigh?
Curtis Clay

Offline Ginolerhino

• Consul
    • My gallery :
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2021, 03:24:03 pm »
" - Claudius II:  a double-Sestertius" ?  ???

Offline VOTman

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2021, 07:47:47 pm »
Hi Curtis,

My Julia Paula coin is 29mm, 11.4g.  From its size I'm assuming it's a sestertius (a near-average sestertius size for this later period).

Here's an RPC link to the same coin...
https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/6/7062

Hi Ginolerhino,

My Claudius II is 25mm, 7.4g.  Yes, this is quite light for a sestertius.  This was at the very end of the sestertius period when they were much smaller.

I've ID'd my Claudius II as a "Double Sestertius" from this link (which is also the same size as mine)...
http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/claudius_II/_antiochPisidia_AE25_SGI_4736.txt

As I misinformed?  The Forums people here are most knowledgeable, as such I invite your continued comments!

Offline antoninus1

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2021, 03:47:48 am »
I am sorry, but the Claudius II and the Julia Paula aren´t (double)sestertii. They are provincial coins, like the other coins in your lot. Their greek denomination is not known to us, but sestertii (and also other denominations) were only minted in Rome.
It´s rather rare that we have marks of value (like  :Greek_Delta: for 4 assaria) on coins and even rarer that the denomination is written on them (like  :Greek_Delta: :Greek_Iota: :Greek_Delta: :Greek_Rho: :Greek_Alpha: :Greek_Chi: :Greek_Mu: :Greek_Omicron: :Greek_Nu: on a coin type of Nero from Antioch)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity