Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: 125-year-old provenance: Harthacnut.  (Read 419 times)

Offline Callimachus

• Caesar
125-year-old provenance: Harthacnut.
« on: May 26, 2022, 09:50:15 pm »
My Harthacnut penny has a provenance going back to 1897.

It was part of the Hyman Montagu (1844-95) Collection. Sold by Sotheby's, 16 November, 1897; Part V, lot 49. Illustrated on plate 1.

The sale catalogue -- which is online -- has the buyer (Lincoln) and the selling price (8 shillings) written in. The buyer was W.S. Lincoln & Son, a coin dealer in London during the latter part of the 19th century.

Link to sale catalogue: https://archive.org/details/montagucollectio00soth_6/page/n9/mode/2up
Link to coin in my gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=95367

Thanks to FORVM member Helvetica who discovered this provenance and emailed me to let me know about it.

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Re: 125-year-old provenance: Harthacnut.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2022, 10:36:37 pm »
Beautiful coin and wonderful provenance. Not my area, but I love this one.

Virgil

Offline Callimachus

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2022, 11:39:43 pm »
By the way . . .
The mint name on the reverse is LVDI.
In 1897 this coin was thought to have been minted in London.
Today it is known to have been minted in Lund, Denmark (now in Sweden).

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2022, 11:46:16 pm »
I know nothing about the type but that's fantastic!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity