Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Constantine I imitation OTD  (Read 1120 times)

Offline gb29400

• Caesar
  • Your life is what your thoughts make it ! M.Aurel
    • GbCollection
Constantine I imitation OTD
« on: December 30, 2009, 05:44:25 pm »
i want to share you this nice imitation

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
Re: Constantine I imitation OTD
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 06:22:14 pm »
Thanks for this nice one!

Apparently at those days (like today ?  ;) ) it was more important to reproduce the correct style than to be authentic.

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 07:11:36 pm »
Very nice - I particularly like the penguin-on-a-stick sceptre!

Ben

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 12:32:47 am »
Nice one. I actually really like the rev. The fancy, star covered...thing?...on the altar/pedestal is pretty cool.

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline Noah

• Caesar
  • Viva Brasil! Pátria Amada!!
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 10:09:09 am »
...and that ear placement...that would fool anyone!   ::)  Seriously though, these imitations are fascinating because each specimen is quite scarce since not as many were produced.  Also, we get interesting artistic interpretations (or just plain lack of talent) as seen in this example!  Thanks for sharing.

Best, Noah

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 06:27:11 pm »
For me the fascinating thing about these imitations is, I think, that they are evidence for aspects of the post-partem formation of the human brain.  I mean, little Mowgli wouldn't, I daresay, have grown up seeing things in terms of Indian art.  It is the same as with aspects of language acquisition, such that sounds that older learners have trouble pronouncing are easily acquired by small children playing with coevals of a different language.  It is not, apparently, considering groups, a question of differing human potential but of its continued formation within different cultures.  And, it seems, it takes about three generations for the familial stage of the formation to become fully acculturated.  Anyway, all those Celts and Allemanians and tribes of other linguistic remnants not much more than a millennium later built Strassburg / Strasbourg Cathedral and developed inchoate early polyphony into counterpoint and the well-tempered circle of fifths and harmony and the Modern adventure of twelve-tone composition.  And in the 20th century a new Classical came into being in the West.  Perhaps, now, just watch ChinaPat L.

For example, though an outstanding engraver tried very hard and understood a lot rather well (better than what a bad "conservator" does on a Commodus Herakles), he slips up and puts a pellet on the FRONT of Herakles ankle and does not differentiate ribs from upper rectus abdominis (he just isn't thinking that way, in terms creating design in terms of underlying structures, though he's not at sea as the 'tooler' is) on the wonderful coin on the Kassel home page: http://www.antikemuenzen.museum-kassel.de/intro.htm where the engraver happily just does the lion skin his own way.  I mull over this coin because none of it is due to any kind of incompetence.

Offline Noah

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 06:39:22 pm »
Pat,  that is a very good point that we often overlook when considering diversity in art, language, and culture in general.   But, they should still know where the ear goes regardless of what language they learned or where they grew-up...post-partem!   ;D

P.S. the Herakles with the strange interpretation of the lion skin you gave us a link to is AWESOME!  That is definitely a strong man with large and defined musculature...

Best, Noah

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 06:57:12 pm »
Ah!  That's the point.  Knowing how the ear is seen relative to other parts of the head is not the same thing as pointing one's finger to what I hear with on one's own head!  As far as that goes, both the reconstruction of what made the ear drum vibrate as speech, as rustles in the grass, as Mozart (or your choice), and that which the retina gathers and sends via the optic never "are" speech/music or images/form but require developed neuronal networks in the brain to become visual or aural means of communication and thought.  And the development of all these neuronal networks (and others, of course) is post partem and indeed takes quite a lot of further brain growth, too.  There are good, plain reasons why your 12-year-old students are, 99% of them, not ready for serious algebra and, it has been pointed out, they don't have the kind of judgment needed for driving on freeways or making adequately considered decisions about their own lives.  It isn't exactly poor judgment but their having brains as immature as their bones and muscles.  And, of course, you mustn't let them play football the way that the NFL play it (I won't discuss the latter, but you can imagine from my reverence for the human brain what I think of great risk of injuring it).
Those are horribly long sentences, and I apologize.  PS: just think of the CCD in your digital camera, and that's simple compared with your brain.
Pat

Offline Noah

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 07:09:50 pm »
Don't apologize for the lengthy sentences.  The importance of it is your message, which I hear loud and clear.  I especially appreciate your example using 12 year olds knowing that I teach that age group.  I can understand better your connection now.  I am sure there are many things I will learn from my 37 years up to your wiser age (should I be lucky enough to live past 50!).  The other thing that is important to keep in mind is that not only developmental changes affect perspective, but environmental as well.  I know plenty of 12 year olds who are much more insightful and savvy than most of their peers (more than even some adults).  While genetic mental  capability is a large factor for this 'awareness,' some students have been taught this by the adults in their lives, while others who are extremely gifted intellectually, squander this gift due to a lack of importance it receives at home.  As for football, I agree and won't let my son play it...unless it is the latin type of futebol/futbol.  :)

Best, Noah

All coins are guaranteed for eternity