Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Caesar's Bumpy Flans  (Read 463 times)

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
Caesar's Bumpy Flans
« on: December 13, 2020, 10:48:17 am »
Does anyone have an idea why some flans of the late republic have a bumpy surface, seen in areas of a weak strike?

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
Re: Caesar's Bumpy Flans
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2020, 05:13:59 pm »
Uncertain flan production technique, but a common fabric on Caesar's coins.  Certainly a symptom of the flan prep, as it's only the unstruck or weakly struck areas that show it.

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2020, 05:55:58 pm »
I wonder when this type of production started and ended?  The bumps are also commonly seen on denarii of Titus Carisius from 46BC.  

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2020, 06:30:29 pm »
Very weird.

Reminds me a bit of fire damage.  Was the flan overheated too much, causing it to bubble, and then struck?  So a good strike would eliminate the bubbling, but a soft, or partially soft strike would leave some bubbling??

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline mix_val

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2020, 09:42:15 pm »
Maybe a rusty die that was cleaned leaving declivities which would appear as bumps in the struck coin?   Just a guess.
Bob Crutchley
My gallery of the coins of Severus Alexander and his family
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=16147

All coins are guaranteed for eternity