Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: I need some advice on some uncleaned roman coins.  (Read 1594 times)

Offline Basileus Nikephoros Antialcidas

• Consul
  • Nihil tam munitum quod non expugnari pecunia possi
I need some advice on some uncleaned roman coins.
« on: March 08, 2020, 05:01:41 pm »
Hello. I bought and wait to receive 100 uncleaned roman coins. The thing is that after the order I found that the seller is in the notorious fake seller list. Should I be worried that the coins are fake? Can he be selling fake uncleaned coins? Is this even possible? I need some advice.
ABSQUE ARGENTO OMNIA VANA

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: I need some advice on some uncleaned roman coins.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 08:35:57 pm »
We’d have to see the coins.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 06:32:21 pm »
Yes there are fake uncleaned coins - but it is fairly rare.  More likely is the possibility of junk/culls/etc labelled as uncleaned.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Daniel J

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 05:28:48 am »
Just because someone is on a NFS list doesn’t mean all their coins are fake. They may just be selling some fakes time to time etc. I doubt the uncleaned ones are fake. It’s very very rare for someone to make fakes of low value coinage. Usually only happens with silver and gold that sell for thousands.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 08:39:56 am »
Just because someone is on a NFS list doesn’t mean all their coins are fake. They may just be selling some fakes time to time etc.

While that may be true, it is misleading, and seems to trivialize being listed as a NOTORIOUS FAKE SELLER. Sellers on the NFSL are CRIMINAL FRAUDS. They are people who knowingly and intentionally sell fakes. They are not selling some fakes from time to time by accident. Occasional mistakes do not get sellers on the list. Most of the time, if and when a notorious fake seller sells genuine coins, they are low value coins sold to build up feedback and/or to distract from the higher value fakes.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity