Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Medusa coin  (Read 196 times)

Cody C2

Medusa coin
« on: December 28, 2018, 08:32:40 am »
 :Greek_Mu: :GreeK_Sigma: :GreeK_Sigma: : :Greek_Lambda:

I am attempting to help my father identify a coin that someone gave him when he was a child.  He does not remember anyone ever telling him any history of the coin. I am afraid that I do not have the coin in my possession, so I cannot provide a weight.   But I do have a couple of pictures and it is the size of a dime.   My first thought was that it was a profile picture of Medusa, but I can find no matching coin.   An assistance at all would be helpful.   My father is not looking to sell, he just wants to know what he's had all these years.

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: Medusa coin
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 08:48:10 am »

Looks like this imitation of Massalia drachm:

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1848614

Pekka K

Cody C2

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 08:53:29 am »
I appreciate the prompt response very, very much!  You provided more information in 10 minutes than my father and I found in hours of blind searching.  Thank you!

Cody C2

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 09:03:29 am »
Forgive my ignorance on the term "imitation".   I just now started looking at the coins and now I realize that term doesn't mean what I think it means... lol

All coins are guaranteed for eternity