Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Do You Also Have Numismatic Interests Other Than Ancient?  (Read 2827 times)

Offline Bud Stewart

• Caesar
Do You Also Have Numismatic Interests Other Than Ancient?
« on: April 25, 2011, 02:06:52 pm »
I’ve noticed that some of my FORVM mates have non-ancient coins in the Galleries.  This question has probably been asked several times, but I am curious to see how prevalent it is that collectors of Ancient Coins collect more modern coinage.

As an example; even though I haven’t added to my collection of coins from 16th & 17th Europe since I was smitten by the Denarii of Rome, I still enjoy my collection of these ‘early modern’ coins.  Although at present I’m trying to stay ‘focused’ on my new area/era of collecting, I still enjoy studying about History & Numismatics of Early Europe.

Offline Will Hooton

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Caesar
  • SUSPIRIUM PUELLAM GULIELMUS THRAEX!
Re: Do You Also Have Numismatic Interests Other Than Ancient?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 02:38:46 pm »
I also collect Estonian coinage, from the First Republic to the Second Republic to the death of the Kroon at the hands of the Brussels Rouble.  ;D I also have an attraction for the coinage of the Knights of Malta form the beginning of their coinage on the Island, until their removal by Napoleon. Unfortunately, full time education limits my budget, but I hope to increase my collection in the future from the few measly granos I possess.

Attached is a 4 Tari coin of Manoel de Vilhena, Portuguese Grand Master of the Order of the Knights Hospitallers of St. John of Jerusalem, Rhodes and Malta between 1722 and 1736.

Offline Steve E

• Caesar
  • My favorite Forvm purchase, so far!
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 02:45:36 pm »
Like many I started out collecting coins from my home country, the US. I still have some interest there since I still have some holes to fill ::) wince :-[

I then found much more variety and historical and cultural interest, in coins from all over the world. I still have interest there in the obsolete coinage. IMO the current coinage of the world has dropped off so much in artistry and quality, that I have no desire for these.
I went to a coin show Sat. and after I bought a nice AS of Domitian :) I only had a few dollars left so I found a couple world coins to add to my collection.

Other than that I spend most of my time and money on ancient coins and references to them.

I'm also starting to gain an interest in other antiqities from Roman times back. I've got a bronze age arrow head on reserve from Joe :)

Steve

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 03:09:59 pm »
Quote from: Bud Stewart on April 25, 2011, 02:06:52 pm
I’ve noticed that some of my FORVM mates have non-ancient coins in the Galleries.  This question has probably been asked several times, but I am curious to see how prevalent it is that collectors of Ancient Coins collect more modern coinage.

As an example; even though I haven’t added to my collection of coins from 16th & 17th Europe since I was smitten by the Denarii of Rome, I still enjoy my collection of these ‘early modern’ coins.  Although at present I’m trying to stay ‘focused’ on my new area/era of collecting, I still enjoy studying about History & Numismatics of Early Europe.

1. Coins of the "new republics" born in the 20th century, and 20th coins of older republics but only where they are consistently innovative and modern in design. That excludes any kingdom, the USA etc. I love the freshness of design of new-born republics. The first Italian aluminium coinage after the monarchy's demise post WW2 springs to mind, the first coins of Ireland, the earliest Soviet coins, coins of the independent African states in the 1960s. All wonderful! Specially in Aluminium.

2. British colonial, specially from obscure islands (India, Australia and Canada might be excluded, less interesting. Of course England excluded. But Jersey, Isle of Man etc etc - great - even better if picked from sterling change as I often do.)

3. Architectural medals, large format, with cathedrals and such like.

I don't actually yet collect these coins & medals, but I intend to. Just once I've completed my collection of coins of the Roman Republic.

Offline Steve E

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 03:15:48 pm »
Bacchus, nice coin! I especially like the obv.!
I also like your webpage that shows the actual photo or painting of the Prince etc. next to an example of a coin they had minted.
Thanks!
Steve

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 03:19:11 pm »
Hi,

I collect British slot machine tokens. The ones from the last twenty years are common but they do go back a hundred years and the earlier ones are now rather rare as they were issued for specific sites and frequently melted down. None are photographed for my gallery.

I also like 17th century countermarked Spanish bronze coins.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 03:22:42 pm »
I collect all areas of coins except Chinese cash coins, not into them. But I still upgrade a my u.s. type set when I am at a dry spell with ancients *not often of course, haha*. I also buy world coins that appeal to me whether its junk world or valuable.

But my main interest is of course ancients.
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline Bacchus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • http://www.diadumenian.com
    • Diadumenian
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 03:27:16 pm »
Hi Steve - thanks.
Yes having an image of the head of state beside the coin helps bring it to life.  Somebody here has done a similar thing with images of busts of Roman emperors and their coins - which is a neat idea.

I see Andrew is concentrating on the Republics while I'm a rampant Royalist so between us we should just about cover them all...  :)

Malcolm

Offline Bud Stewart

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 04:32:17 pm »
I’m not surprised to read of my mates varied interests.  Thanks for sharing.

Besides viewing a number of beautiful and interesting non-ancient coins in Member Galleries, there was another incident that provoked my question.   I just purchased a mahogany cabinet, and I’ve moved a portion of my non-ancient coins into it.  Many of these coins were buried in Blue Plastic Coin Boxes and haven’t been viewed by anyone in years.  Just looking at these nearly forgotten treasures has re-sparked my passion for Early European.  Also, I’ve been forced to reexamine my collection; if I have no desire to place the coin in my new cabinet then perhaps I should ‘divest’ myself of the item.

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 09:51:07 am »
Quote from: Bud Stewart on April 25, 2011, 02:06:52 pm

I have a small collection of 17th - 20th century British coins featuring "Britannia" in my gallery, this is a fairly new diversion for me. Although it was British coins that I started collecting as a boy, I changed over to Roman in my late teens and Roman is still my main field of interest.

Alex.

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 10:02:06 am »
I suspect that I am one of the few on here who merely "dabbles" in ancient coins, but (as can be seen from my personal gallery) whose main areas of interest lie elsewhere.

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 12:15:27 am »
My main area of collecting for the past 27 years has been in the field of US "colonial" coinages, particularly those issued by the states of Vermont and Connecticut. 

I also collect British coinages up through King George III, since it directly ties in to the early US Colonies. 

And there's also early Spanish-American "colonial" cob coinages from their mints in the New World....mainly Central and South America.

And I won't even try to list the miscellaneous medals, tokens, etc., etc.......

Offline Luc Andre D

• Praetorian
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 05:19:44 pm »
I collect coins, both old and new, ancients, moderns or contemporary, from all eras and all countries without any distinction.  :) I especially like the medieval ones from obscure time periods like the early Middle-Age. I finally got my hands recently on a denier of Charlemagne. I had been wanting one for a long time but they are rare and expensive.

Offline Aarmale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 05:26:47 pm »
Occasionally I get a modern Canadian coin.  Although not as fun as ancients, modern coinage is a minor hobby of mine.
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

Offline Bud Stewart

• Caesar
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 02:40:44 pm »
I am contemplating placing some of my favorite “Non-Ancient” coins in my Gallery (in appropriate folders), but although, as I noted in my first post, many of our Mates do this, I’m just not sure if it is correct.

If I do, this would be my first:

Papal States
Paul IV (1555 – 1559)
AR Testone
Obverse Arms.
Reverse St Peter Enthroned Wearing a Tiara S PETRVS APOSTOLVS RO (mm 54) MA
Berman 1038

Offline Steve E

• Caesar
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2011, 06:57:05 pm »
Hi Bud,

I think its fine. There definitely seems to be enough crossover interest!

Besides, Joe has categories for and sells some modern coins as well as other antiquities :)

Regards,
Steve

Edit; notice the blue highlighted words ;)

Offline Sergius Silus

• Praetorian
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2011, 01:44:30 pm »
Hello !

I would like to see "non-ancients" in your gallery.

Here's one from me,
condition is not so good, but it is same ruler.

Papal State
Pope Paul IV (Giampietro Carafa) 1555-1559
AG Giulio
O: PAVLVS IIII PONT MAX
R: S PAVLVS ANCONA
28-29 mm

Regards.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity