Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Exciting Announcement!  (Read 3569 times)

Offline imperialcoins

• Consul
  • Agora Auctions
    • Agora Auctions, Inc.
Exciting Announcement!
« on: January 06, 2011, 11:56:12 pm »
Almost a year ago I posted my original request for help with a new numismatic research website. Coin Project is now open to the public at http://coinproject.com as a public beta.

The project is a data-driven web site developed by professional programmers with the support of over 100 volunteer numismatists, many of them the best in their fields. The result is an easily updatable, expandable and searchable resource that already contains nearly 40,000 coin records (with an additional 300,000+ pending). Refining and standardizing issuers, regions and cities for each type is a high priority; the site will have the most comprehensive and accurate set of these classifications to be found anywhere.

As a not-for-profit collaborative effort, Coin Project will rely on financial support by selling banner advertising and private donations.  Coin Project will never charge a fee to use any of its resources.  Strategic guidance is provided by a board of advisors with day-to-day management decisions made by a project executive.

There is still much work to be done, such as the editing and approving of a huge number of pending submissions from individuals, major institutions and commercial sources. For this work we require more volunteers and, now that the site is maturing, is a good time for new volunteers to join and contribute.

Please visit the website at http://coinproject.com and give us your comments. If you feel you can contribute some time toward processing the images and data, let me know and I’ll arrange credentials and provide you with more details on the inner workings of the project.

-Alfred
Agora Auctions, Inc.
http://agoraauctions.com

Offline Tom Mullally

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Exciting Announcement!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 12:39:25 am »
It has been a three year labor of love.  The dedicated volunteers have put in countless hours creating and testing the site to make sure it functions as planned.  Sure there are still a few small bugs to work out, but we are very proud of what's been created so far.

We have the largest Parthian database, Roman Provincial and Greek lists far superior to the Princeton list (and separated into  separate Greek and provincial lists, a task other websites won't touch), and the largest moneyer's list of Roman Republican coins. Our Islamic list is far superior to any website available and our medieval list will be unequaled. Our German States list is already 4000 issuers strong.  Some of the categories are not yet finished, since this is still a work in progress, but most categories are quite thorough.  Of course, there's still a lot to do, but I'm very happy with the direction we're headed.

So far, we have been focused on functionality, not aesthetics.  The website needs a little touch up, and will be getting it soon, but the lists function as designed.

Now we need your help.  We can always use experts and seasoned collectors' help to make the site better.  Please visit the site and take it for a test drive.  Let us know what you think.

Tom Mullally

Tom Mullally

Classical Numismatic Group

Juan Barez Garcia

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 01:34:31 pm »
Also, I specified that it is also the largest database of English language of Ancient Spain coins.

My congratulations on the great work being done.

Maffeo

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 01:38:08 pm »
Just had a look. Great site! Congratulations.

Offline Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 04:09:49 pm »
I really like what I see with the site. I have bookmarked it.

Only thing I wouldnt mind seeing is say im looking at Gordian I in roman imperial, can there be a drop down of the emperors in that category and select one of them within that window or even a new window?
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Lloyd Taylor

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 04:28:17 pm »
Congratulations, you have built the massive foundations for a very powerful reference database and tool..... potentially the best around! 

Fully populated and validated it will be a stunning achievement. I like the way you highlight the verified versus non-verified entries. This is very important for the user.  I notice  a few errors in some of the unverified entries and this problem plagues many a database that uses dealer and amateur input, well intentioned as it might be.  The verification of entries is a massive task and the ultimate integrity of the database depends on it.  How is this being done, by whom and what are the limitations on this enormous endeavor?

Online Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 04:58:40 pm »
... Roman Provincial and Greek lists far superior to the Princeton list (and separated into  separate Greek and provincial lists, a task other websites won't touch)...

this alone is worth the price of admission (figuratively speaking), and is very much appreciated by those of us who often get lost in a quagmire of provincials when looking for 'Greek'.
i see a tremendous upside to this project.

for me personally it has been a great learning experience, in both discipline as well as experience in numismatic areas i don't normally venture into.
so congratulations to those responsible, and a hearty thanks from those of us who will benefit from the collective efforts of all the volunteers.

appreciatively,
Peter

Offline Tom Mullally

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 11:21:33 pm »
Lloyd,

When you click on any coin's details, there is a line at the bottom right "Submit Error Report."  This will send an email to the moderators letting us know that there is an error to be fixed.  A box will open where you can explain the error.  Obviously, this feature is most important on coins which have already been verified, if a new error is found.  But can certainly be used on coins awaiting verification.

Yes, the verification process is quite thorough and time consuming.  Thanks to all the volunteers!  We have over 100 volunteers who have a specialized collecting interest, it is their responsibility to make sure the coins' legends, descriptions and reference citations are correct.  Often times, only one basic reference accompanies a coin submission, such as Van Meter.  It is the moderator's responsibility to add the proper citation.  The more volunteers we get, the faster we can get them all verified. The only limitations, as I see them, are the number of volunteers working on the website, and the number of man hours needed to do the work.  Do you care to volunteer?  We'd love to have you join.

Tom
Tom Mullally

Classical Numismatic Group

Lloyd Taylor

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 12:28:06 am »
....  Do you care to volunteer?  We'd love to have you join.

Tom

Tom,

Happy to assist in whatever way I can.  A PM is on its way to you on the subject.

Regards
Lloyd

Offline dafnis

• Consul
  • ad astra per aspera.
    • Numismática Antigua
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 12:41:19 pm »
great website, already setting the benchmark for some ancient issues!
congratulations and keep it up!!

Offline imperialcoins

• Consul
  • Agora Auctions
    • Agora Auctions, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 12:17:49 am »
Thank you.  We are working hard to "clean up" all of the existing records and at the same time we are adding new records on a daily basis.

We are also working on adding new features and functionality.  We have a long list of things we would like to see, but it will take time and resources, so I have had to be a bit patient.

Best,

Alfred

great website, already setting the benchmark for some ancient issues!
congratulations and keep it up!!
-Alfred
Agora Auctions, Inc.
http://agoraauctions.com

All coins are guaranteed for eternity