Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Caracalla Nikopolis ad Istrum  (Read 1134 times)

johded

Caracalla Nikopolis ad Istrum
« on: December 18, 2007, 10:36:52 am »
Hi,

Somebody who can tell me what the reverse personification is ?  (Hera with patera & scepter
or emperor with globe en inverted spear ? anybody else ? )

reference number ?

Caracalla AE27
Moesia Inferior
Nikopolis ad Istrum

obv: AVK M AVP ANT :Greek_Omega:NINOC

rev: V :Greek_Pi:AVP :Greek_Pi_2:A :Greek_Lambda: :Greek_Lambda:OV   NIKO :Greek_Pi:O :Greek_Lambda:IT

ex:  :Greek_Pi:POCI

thanks in advance
Johan

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re: Caracalla Nikopolis ad Istrum
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 10:41:23 am »
Dear Johan!

Please show us your coin! JPG-format, under 200kB, and don`t preview your pic!

Best regards

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 10:50:14 am »
Hi!

With that garment it can`t be a female figure! It is the emperor in military cloak, wearing boots, and holding spear in his l. hand and globe in outstretched r. hand.

Best regards

Offline whitetd49

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • FEL TEMP REPARATIO
    • Coins of the Severan Dynasty at Stobi
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 11:25:41 am »
Intersting, the reverse die does not appear to be in Varbanov.  It has the same reverse type as VArbanov (Eng) I, 3036 (not illustrated), citing AMNG Pick 1559 but the listed reverse legend is  VP AV NIKOPLIT PROC I.  Varbanov also lists a different obverse die.
If you watch long enough, even a treefrog is interesting.  Umberto Eco
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10349

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 01:58:26 pm »
Your coin is Pick AMNG I, 1, no. 1559 (cf. no. 1324 for Septimius).
I have the corresponding type for Plautilla:
• 23 08 02 AE 26 Nicopolis ad IstrumAurelius Gallus.  Plautilla, bust to r.  PhOVL PLAV      TILLA SEBAS.  Rev., Caracalla in full military regalia, the paludamentum hanging from his shoulders, standing near frontal, head to l., leaning on spear (probably) in his left, proffering something not struck in his right.  VPA AVR GALLOV NEIKOPO PROS ISTR[O?]in ever smaller letters, continuous all round.  Not known to Pick, AMNG I, 1.
Note that Plautilla's reverse die is not the same as Septimius's no. 1324 for Septimius, but yours may be that die, since at no. 1324 Pick says that the field in front of the Emperor is unclear; perhaps there is a tripod standing in front of him.
And, just perhaps, there might be such traces on yours.  The reverse legend of the SS and Car is VP AVR GALLOV    NIKOPOLIT and in exergue PROS I.  Pick knew Septimius's only from a single specimen in Belgrade.  Plautilla's reverse not only has a different rev. legend, but it is (at best) unclear whether the emperor on hers held an orb.
I thought that Plautilla might have the Young Augustus; the same obv. die for Caracalla as on yours is used, e.g., with the reverse showing the emperor, unbearded, on horseback with a cowering enemy.
• 10 06 04 AE 26  9.31g  axis 6:00  Nicopolis ad Istrum.  Issued by Gallus.  Caracalla, laureate, head to r.  AV. K. M. AVR.    ANTONINOS (prob. not EI).  Rev., the emperor with fluttering cape, probbly brandishing spear,  on horseback galloping over the body of a fallen captive (a stock group, going back to, e.g., the stele of Dexileos of 394 BC).  VP A  VR GALLOV NIKOPOLITON (the N uncertain) and in exergue PROS ISTR.  Although the portrait is in the manner of the Tertullus issues, the reverse legend is certain.  The punctuated obverse abbreviations exist both for Tertullus  (Pick 1518, 1524-1526, with -inos) and for Gallus (Pick 1535, with -einos, and 1541, et al.,with -inos).  I cannot find the reverse type for Caracalla, or for his father and wife, who may share his reverses, in PickNor can I find the long legend of the reverse in Varbanov (he does not mention points) or its subject.
The references to Varbanov above are to the Bulgarian edition; I haven't checked the English yet.
Pat L.
P.S. I do have a Caracalla, such as it is (a placemarker), with the different obvverse die, noted above.
• 08 10 02 AE 26 Nicopolis ad Istrum.  Issued by Gallus.  Caracalla, laureate, bust (with cloak over armor) to r.  [AV K] M AV    ANTONINOS.  Rev., the Emperor standing, laureate, in armor and military cloak (falling behind), facing l., holding orb in his outstretched right hand, resting on his spear held in his left.  VP AV GALLOV    NIKOPOL[IT PROS I].  Pick, AMNG I, 1, p. 408, no. 1559, where Pick's cf. 1324 is to Gallus's issue for Septimius with exactly the same kind of reverse type.  The Caracalla obverse is like that  for his no. 1539, with Apollo Sauroktonos reverse, and several others.

johded

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 05:57:53 am »
Hi,

Many thanks to help me!

best regards
Johan

All coins are guaranteed for eternity