Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Not Kosher by David Hendin  (Read 3182 times)

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
Not Kosher by David Hendin
« on: December 29, 2004, 04:52:23 pm »
Just got my copy of Not Kosher, Forgeries of Ancient Jewish and Biblical Coins by David Hendin.  I have spent the last few days reading it and closely reviewing the forgeries in this book.  If you are a collector of Biblical coins, you will need this book.

This is not a how to create forgeries book.  Hendin does briefly discuss forgery methods and some of the methods used to identify forgeries.  The best part to this section is the section on 'Diagnostics for Jewish and Biblical Coins.'  Here Hendin gives the common characteristics of what a genuine coin are for the different types discussed in this volume.  I feel his discussion of edge characteristics is very important.

I also enjoyed the section in which Hendin gives different stories about his and other encounters with Biblical forged coins.  He has stories about the Fake Menorah coin, a Hadrian sestertius of his visit to Judea, a replica of a Bar Kochba sela that someone made to give as a gift to friends, and the famous Bar Kochba coins from Kentucky (USA).  These stories are great and help to enliven a book that is basically a catalog of fakes.

As for the catalog, it is well organized with each coin fully illustrated.  Many are shown at two times their original size to show the details better.  To see what the original coin, that the forgery is based on, you also need Guide to Biblical Coins, also by Hendin.  My only complaint about the book is that the illustrations are a little dark and I wish they were of higher quality. In some catalogs, you can use a low power magnifier to see more detail in the image.  This does not work with the illustrations in this book.  All you see are dots.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re:Not Kosher by David Hendin
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2005, 07:44:33 pm »
Not Kosher is available from FORVM.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: Not Kosher by David Hendin
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 01:47:46 pm »
Are the edge characteristics of Judaean forgeries similar to Greek and Roman forgeries- seams, file marks, unusually flat, etc.?

Molinari

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
Re: Not Kosher by David Hendin
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005, 04:12:49 pm »
On the cast forgeries, yes.  The marks are left by the process that is used to make the forgery.  So if the same process is used, you will see similar signs.

Hendin does mention any signs of forgery on the examples he lists in the book when he has first hand knowledge of the coin.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity