Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Tiny 8-9mm Arab Imitation of a Byzantine Coin? Maybe Just Byzantine?  (Read 841 times)

Offline Pete B

• Consul
I hope everyone is enjoying a pleasant evening... just came across this copper coin: 8-9mm with an obvious Byzantine-type obverse, and a roaring lion standing right on the reverse. I'm just coming up empty; any help is very much appreciated

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Tiny 8-9mm Arab Imitation of a Byzantine Coin? Maybe Just Byzantine?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2021, 07:09:23 pm »
Sorry, all I can tell you is that it's quite a beautiful little coin. You're right about the Byzantine-style obverse but the lion is almost too good to be Byzantine, isn't it? Very interesting!

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Offline Pete B

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2021, 06:13:08 pm »
Thanks Rupert and Explorer for your answers! I was coming up with the Ostrogothic King Baduila (541-549), his BMC-50 type. The size at 8mm and the Roaring Lion not on an exergue are spot on. The "...S" seen on at the end of the obverse legend is reversed on mine. I can't find that Lion reverse type of the King with a 'Byzantine style' obverse, and the garment matches the example of Justinian I, as do the pearl drops(?) seen to the right of the head. Justinian I it is. Thanks again!

Offline Pete B

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2021, 10:12:27 am »
Rupert: Yeah, the Lion doesn't look very much like a Byzantine execution-too angular, almost stylistic, and it's roaring. I was very happy to learn of Ostrogothic imitations of Byzantine coinage. Finding examples is another matter... This looks like it was struck with a Justinian obverse (reverse "S" notwithstanding) and a Baduila reverse

All coins are guaranteed for eternity