Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Need help identifying old gold coins ! any help appreciated  (Read 208 times)

Dan B

Need help identifying old gold coins ! any help appreciated
« on: February 21, 2019, 01:20:07 pm »
Hi there,
I came into some gold coins from a family member and I have no idea what they are, where they come from, etc. I will only be doing one coin at a time as per the rules, but do have 4 in total I need help identifying.

I've tried to do some research myself - but i find some of the designs are so similar - so i end up searching for hours and getting nowhere or second guessing myself constantly!
My goal is simply to understand what is the name/type of each coin I own - era, are they greek or roman or byzantine etc

Was hoping someone here who sees coins constantly could make some sense of it.

Here are the details I know of these particular coins:

Each coin weighs 4.2g - 4.3g
They test okay for gold content (pass 18k acid no problem)
They measure about 20mm across.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can provide that will help!

Thank you so much in advance

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: Need help identifying old gold coins ! any help appreciated
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 01:30:27 pm »
Both coins from Jovian, different Officina Marks ∈ and  θ

http://numismatics.org/ocre/id/ric.8.anch.223

Dan B

Re: Need help identifying old gold coins ! any help appreciated